Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

Coachman

June first today. Thought it was a food time to start this year's reports.

Maybe we can get sticky status this year...?

Anyone out in nootka or bajo this weekend for an update...?

Coachman, we just got back from Nootka and it was a bit of a work party on Saavedra Island but we fished as well.

Wednesday evening we fished Burdwood and caught a 21# spring and a couple of smaller ones. It hit hard enough that I knew a fish was on by the way the boat went thump. I gave the rod to my buddy and it took off on a 500 foot run. Then turned to the boat and came back 300 feet. Are other guys were fishing Dolley's and on the end of Saavedra infront of Nootka Lodge and caught 8 springs. The biggest they ended up with was 16#.

We fished Beno Creek on Thursday morning and did not see any fish or bait. Headed out to the reef after 2 hours and caught 4 nice ling trolling and a 7#coho. Back to the work at hand for the afternoon until we pulled the prawn traps and caught 75 prawns for dinner.

Friday and Saturday morning we fished halibut offshore and limited out both days along with 3 springs from 12# to 16#. My buddy was using a spreader bar with a circle hook and a regular hook on it and pulled in 2 haly's at the same time. I will try and post a picture of it.

Offshore looked good for bait and fish but we only had a bit of time fishing as it was a work party so I can't wait to go back.

Thanks fot the report. We are going for tbe week of July 22 and back again on aug 06.

We'll be at Critter Cove for part of both trips. Can't wait.

Hearing that the mackeral have showed up already in Gold river..early and eating everything in sight.... :(

Couple questions..... going to take the family out for a week this summer, tour around spend a few nights on the hook etc. Would like to make my way from tahsis to tofino, by looking at the charts it does look unreasonable, looks like if its a little rough outside theres places to hide out inside. Ive been north of nootka and esperenza but never south, has anyone taken a run down there? Just trying to get an idea what to expect ,time etc. Also had good luck with prawning but faq all for crabs!? I would love to get some Dungeness or even some red rocks, anyone have any luck with crabbing in esperenza,nootka area? thx

That stretch from Estevan Pt to Sharp Pt by Hot Springs Cove is your biggest challenge. If it's ****** you can circumnavigate Flores Island and dodge the seas

Mackeral already? That tells me that the water must be warm?

Last edited by a moderator:
That what I heard from a friend @ Nootka Adventures and they are eating everything coming out of the river....Just not sure if they are all the way thru the inlet or a pocket of them... :(

Fishing has been good offshore for halibut and springs between 15 to 18 pounds. Have weed through the small halibut to get the springs on the bottom. Prawning is still decent even with the small commercial boats there. Guess Shawzys Lodge and Guides must have purchased some quota because they were bringing in large 100# plus halibut. Both halibut and springs being caught with hootchies at 140 ft.

Hey Guys can we get stickey noted so I don't have to look through pages to find it. I'm going up to Tahsis on Sunday and hopfully catching fish.
Give me a wave 24 ' aluminum with a inflatable on top "fishingfools" I'll be up off and on for 5 weeks this year and if I find em I'll post. I did hear a couple of big springs came in from Ferrer Pt. Tight lines

Doing a fast trip to nootka- got a game changer lure on board-got to confirm what I saw in Barclay-if it works like I think- will post the whole scoop probably Mon am. In sat, out sun. Any reports would be a help. Fishing Burdwood, Beano and bajo. thanks.

Back