Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Any fish showing up inside the sound? Hoiss, San Carlos etc?

Thx

Here is a partial report from one of the lodges in Nootka, dated July 5 2014:

July fishing remains outstanding with limits of Chinook 22 to 30 pounds, and Coho 8 to 12 pounds, hitting
our docks every day. If the forecasters are correct fishing should remain excellent throughout the rest of our
season both on the inside and outside waters from here on out. Bottom fishing has also been on fire, with
chicken Halibut in the 25 to 45 pound range seemingly everywhere outside of Maquinna point and out on
the reef. Popular areas continue to produce, with Wash rock, Maquinna point, Beno creek, and Bajo reef
continuing to be the hot spots. There is bait everywhere including inshore where it is legal this season
to retain four wild or hatchery clipped Coho per day.

Springs on the outside remain deeper in the (55 to 85 foot range). Fish on the inside which is picking up every day now, are shallower in the 35 to 55 foot range. Coho are anywhere from 25 to 85 feet on random feeding programs. We are encountering belly’s full of squid and needle fish in both species of salmon, so we have been sticking to small baits and glow hootchies. Lots of adipose clipped Chinook are showing up on the dock thanks to the great hatchery programs efforts south of us in the US.

Monday Evening Fishing Report Esperanza & Nootka
Fishing on both sides of the Nootka Is. really picked up to day. Better Weather!!!
Esperanza- Ferrer Pt. was quiet all day then lite up on the evening tide. Pin Rocks, Outer Black Rock, Double Island All produced Lots of 20-25 Chinook & 5-8lb Coho. Anchovies & Coho Killers For Both
Nootka- Not much inside yet but it has got to start happening SOON. Beano Creek, Maquinna Rock, Nootka Lighthouse & Burdwood are producing 15-22lb Springs & Lots of Coho & some trolled up Hali.
Looking forward to Albacore Tuna Fishing/Catching in Aug. & Sept.

Esperanza lit off today July 8th. Even the boats fishing offshore came back inside for the after noon bit. Ferrer Pt. was none stop for Springs. So was outer Black Rk., Pin Rk. & everything inside the surf line.Spring which were 80% 0f the catch 18 - 25 Lbs. Coho made up the rest of the catch.
Nootka 1st over 20lb Spring showed at Copte Pt. That means the Conuma Run is starting to move inside.
Sharpen Your Hooks & Hold On 75,000 Chinook moving in through both Esperanza & Nootka.
Join the Fun/Catching
Can not wait to Fish for Albacore Tuna 15 miles from shore in about 4 weeks from NOW!! Fish On!!

Fishing has been good the last two days at Beano with limits of 15 to 25 pound springs. A few fish inside but still early. The Lighthouse has been good as well.

Esperanza lit off today July 8th. Even the boats fishing offshore came back inside for the after noon bit. Ferrer Pt. was none stop for Springs. So was outer Black Rk., Pin Rk. & everything inside the surf line.Spring which were 80% 0f the catch 18 - 25 Lbs. Coho made up the rest of the catch.
Nootka 1st over 20lb Spring showed at Copte Pt. That means the Conuma Run is starting to move inside.
Sharpen Your Hooks & Hold On 75,000 Chinook moving in through both Esperanza & Nootka.
Join the Fun/Catching
Can not wait to Fish for Albacore Tuna 15 miles from shore in about 4 weeks from NOW!! Fish On!!

Oh man you have caught the tuna fever John....trying to line you up some pails John they are hard to get any more but i will get some.Save me a Westview hat if you can!

Just got back from 7 days at Nootka - at Critter from July 1st to 8th. Got a 16 and 22 at Coopte on the first day but after that tried it a few times with no success and heard of nobody getting any inside - a little early for the inside. Found the best fishing to be at Burdwood, Beano and Lighthouse and was surprised the Bajo was dead both times we tried there. All the crew got their limits in the 16-25 lb range - coho were mainly small (4-5 lbs) with only a few larger ones with biggest we caught being 9 lbs. Found fishing to be steady with best bite first thing in the morning. Fished mainly anchovies at 33-44 feet with chartruese flashers and heads being the best. Got 3 hali while fishing for salmon so reports of lots of hali are correct.

Tight Roll Next time your in the area stop by for a cold Or hot beverage on the house (Same for any forum member).
Great report but you may have been a week early on your fishing holiday. The wind really kicked up last night on the outside of Esperanza (25 knots) So lots of boats headed down Tahsis Inlet. From the results on the cleaning tables the beginning of the Conuma River Hatchery Run have moved into Nootka Sound BIG time. Coopte Point lit up first thing this morning with lots of 20-26lb Chinook. Hoiss Point, Canal Is. & Salter Pt. all produce good #s of Springs.
Yes anchovies 30-45ft Was the ticket!!!

pescador, I was at the Reef and Hwy and scratched out a couple of fish. The 240 line was where I got them but found blue water on the 300 foot line and didn't see a salmon. I'm back out in the morning to see if the fish moved into the Reef.

July 11th Friday Fishing report. The wind laid down last night and so did the water. Yep most boats went off shore to the highway-the pins & "T" where very busy. Lots of 35-55lb Halibut & 3 over 30lb (30,30.5 & 31lb) All beautiful bright fish. On the cleaning tables. Bajo also did well out by the red can.
Inside Ferrer Pt was none stop on Spring on the noon tide change. On the south end Nootka light was the hot ticket.
Anchovies took the day inside outside 602 & Watermelon spoons scored high points.

i will be up there for 5 weeks starting this friday and would love to learn more about tuna fishing so if i come up to see you with a few cold one could we have a chat and is best time for you

let me know ok and you could contact me direct at savy@shaw,ca your time would be appreciated

serge

So, been at Critter now 3 days. Inside action is very slow. Off shore has been productive, but, fog last two days. Beano seems to be hot spot. This morning you can't see much past quarter mile. Trying to get out to Bajo, but, fog may not left based on how it looks at 0915. Better report over next two days.

Pescador Just picked up a HOT tip. South end of Strange Island on the gravel bar. Fish at 50ft With Anchovy or your favorite look a like lure. The guys brought 6 Chinook in this morning 3 were 24-31lb. Started fishing at 5:30 am. The 3 very happy guys Limited out by 9:30am. Good Luck. Let us Know how it works out. Fish on John

Just got back from Nootka and I can echo what Pescador said. I was hoping for a 1/4 mile at Hoiss where I saw one caught this morning. Finally picked up the shoreline and crawled our way out in 1/8 th to 1/4 mile vis. We did good around the afternoon High Slack on Friday (easy limit on Springs for 2), and early on Saturday (slowed down mid morning). Today we got to Hoiss around 10, and had some good action went 1/3 on decent springs. Lots of action around us but had to leave. The fog sucked but the ocean was sure nice today. Those clear and calm days seem very rare. 35 Degrees in Gold River when we left.

Nootka & Esperanza Fishing/Catching Report - Sunday July 13
Fog push lots of boats inshore where it turned out that salmon fishing was better than off shore. The Conuma Hatchery fish are showing up big time. On the Esperanza Inlet side where approx. 35% of the run comes in then moves down the Tahsis Inlet to meet up with the 65% that come in the Nootka Sound fish at Coopte Point & other places in the same general area the catching has been Over the top GOOD!
Esperanza- outer Black & Low rocks where good producers for Chinook & Coho. Pin Rocks & the Glory Hole held LOTS of Chinooks, even Rosa Harbour was a good bet this early in the season.
Nootka Sound - Coopte Pt., south end of Strange & Chanel Island & San Carlos all saw LOTS of Chinook Catching. Coho have not pushed inside yet.
As usual anchovy or a look a like seem to be the ticket for limits.
Everything is happening earlier & bigger this season.
Good Night! Fish On John

Back