Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Discussion in '2014 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by pescador, May 9, 2014.

1. pescador

pescador Well-Known Member

Look forward to hearing reports starting soon!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  2. SpringFever552

SpringFever552 Well-Known Member

Prawning was insane!!! But now LOTS of commie guys out...a few springs around also...

3. Tide Up

Tide Up Member

Nootka is calling !! Can't wait to get out there

4. pescador

Can't wait either.

5. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Member

4 trips booked this year!! cannot wait

6. pescador

Two for me.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

THANKS to whomever made these area sticky's a go,just what this site needed!!!!! Planning 3 trips over the summer months,hope the fishing is all that everyone predicts it will be!!!

8. Marsman

Marsman Member

I'm heading over the 1st week of June for my 1st trip. Going for bottom fish then see what's around for springs... Can't wait. Hope the winds are good.

Cheers, Rob

9. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

our trip got bump up later this year July 27 to the 1st...:)

10. greenhornet

greenhornet Active Member

Ill be up there from july 19 to aug 21st should get a few fish lol

Tight lines
    Billydoo

11. Squid Row

Squid Row Member

First trip in a month and 5 more after that, can't wait!

12. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Member

First trip 18-21 July , staying at critter. 24 - 27 July in a yurt at moucha bay . 7-10 August back at moucha! I'll be in an old boston whaler 19 'revenge black trim , white boat , 150 Yamaha! Come by for a pop if you see me out there!!

13. Sitkaspruce

Sitkaspruce Active Member

Hey guys

A buddy of mine is heading over to Nootka for the long weekend with his dad. They have a 26' Grady but are interior guys who don't fish salmon much.

What can they expect for fish?? Any places they should check out (can PM me and the info will stay with us). Standard chovies and flasher or hootchies and spoons??

Thanks for any info in advance!!!

Cheers

SS

14. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

I'd also appreciate any early season tips!

3 buddies and I are heading out for a surf/camp/fish trip for the May long weekend coming up. We've done the trip a handful of times but never with a good fishing boat. We'll be camped at Skuna bay and running out from Camper Creek in a 20' thunder jet.

It would be sweet to have Hali dinner one night and salmon another. Any tips on spots this time of year either on the run out or a short run out from skuna would be much appreciated. I've heard Hali actually come right into the shallows of skuna.

Thanks,

Ap

15. bigbruce

bigbruce Crew Member

16. saanauk

saanauk Active Member

Just went up over the weekend. Only really fished Sunday but got our two halibut, six lings, and our limit of prawns. Lots of prawns even with all the commercial pots.

17. pescador

Saanauk, were there many people up there this time of year other than the commercial guys?

18. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

I like the sound of that! The surf is looking pretty non existent so we'll likely be fishing a fair bit. What sort of depth do you find the prawns out there? Area?

Pretty pumped to get out there this weekend. Hitting the water at first light Friday.

19. directmule

directmule Member

Found this on facebook:

Fishing report for May 2014 from Nootka Marine Adventures

Salt Water

Fishing remains excellent from the light house at Friendly Cove to Maquinna Point, also Burdwood,
    Escalante and when the weather permits Bajo Reef, with most of the Chinooks that we are catching
    in the 12 to 20 pound range. A good percentage of them are clipped fish migrating south to Washington
    and Oregon.

We are still using a combination of needle fish hootchies, four inch spoons and flasher with anchovies
    mimicking the small needle fish they are primarily feeding on. We have been locating fish from 40 feet
    in the mornings, down to 120 feet later in the afternoons. Find the bait balls and run your gear 10 to 20
    feet above them.

Coho are starting to show up in solid numbers and are taking the same gear as the Chinook
    and are found most consistently in the 45 to 65 foot range.

Bottom fishing opportunities remain strong with lots of good ling cod, yellow eye, and halibut coming
    into the docks on daily basis. Most anglers have been bottom bouncing with larger baits and jigs,
    (as well as sitting on the anchor just of areas with some structure waiting for fish to come to them well
    searching for food).

Glow needle fish, and army truck cuttle fish hootchies, as well as the four inch cop car and live image
    spoons all trolled behind flashers have been the hot ticket tackle choice for our guides the last couple
    weeks. Anchovies with a six foot leader always a good bet as well. Try whole or cut plug herring ten feet
    off the bottom when doing the slow troll for bottom fish.

Prawning and crabbing opportunities remain good all throughout Nootka Sound and Moutcha Bay.

20. saanauk

saanauk Active Member

No not very many other people besides the commercial guys. Maybe saw a dozen or so rec pots. It is a little tough to find a spot without commercial pots. We got one of our pots hung up on a commercial string that we could not pull up. Went back the next day and they were nice enough to seperate our gear from theirs. Even had some prawns in it.