Nootka Report

Island Fish Lifter

Just arrived, will post info..

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Going up this thursday for the long weekend, staying at cougar creek, anybody else going to be around the area?

Hey Jim,
Sorry, I just got back and seen your email today. There are a few halis around, we got ours at Bajo. There are a few at Burdwood bay, as usual for this time of year. We didnt get too far offshore, so I didnt get to check out the usual haunts.
Kevin, I would have liked to stop in there to see Blaine and maybe have a BS with you, but time didnt allow it. I think maybe we got off on the wrong foot last year. Maybe we can start a new page this year?
Talk to ya soon, Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Heh Dave No Worries...Cool Video...

Blaines there on weekends and Andrew is there during the week. Will be up there again soon getting things ready for the season. Then from June 5th when our Season opens til Sept 16th. SushiHunter, Holmes and Island Fish Lifter wish you all the best this year......

Cheers Kevin

Nootka Marine Adventures

WHERE THE OCEAN IS OUR PLAYGROUND

Charter Packages or Bring Your Own Boat
www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
Camping/Chalets/Boat Launch/New Marina/Fuel
www.moutchabay.com

Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Hey Jim,
Sorry, I just got back and seen your email today. There are a few halis around, we got ours at Bajo. There are a few at Burdwood bay, as usual for this time of year. We didnt get too far offshore, so I didnt get to check out the usual haunts.
Talk to ya soon, Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the report.

Just got back home. Long day [:0]

Went out to Tatchu Point for Halibut - not a sniff. There were up to 9 commercial trollers working from there to Kyuquot. We tried a bit of trolling for Salmon - nothing, but hit a school of Canary Rockfish and a Vermillion plus a couple of Chinas.

Headed back to Rolling Roadstead and dropped the Hali gear in a few spots - again, nothing.

Ran into Double Island and started trolling. Hit a couple of Rockfish which two very hungry Eagles took within 10' of the boat!

Continued trolling along the North/West side of Esperanza and picked up a nice Lingcod. Shortly thereafter hit a double header of Chinook feeders and lost one, got one. Heading out mid-channel toward Steamer Point we hit another nice Chinook and got him in the boat for a total of 2 out of 3. That ended out day plus a few Prawns in 4 traps. Will be heading out again in the morning if you have additional advice.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Jim, I got nothing else to report. Maybe the full moon has something to do with the slow salmon fishing??? Personally Ive never done well for salmon in Nootka this early in the season, but then again I havnt spent alot of time salmon fishing this early either. We usually just target halis now as they always seem to be nice and close.. Good luck, probably see you on the water. Hows your season looking for bookings?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Jim,
Full moon = one hour before sunrise, or the late morning and/or afternoon high flood for Salmon! Unless you want to be out there at 04:00 in the morning, I would fish halibut early and concentrate on the afternoon flood for salmon! :)

This time of year, I've had luck at:

Halibut The Whistle Buoy? Should be producing now? If not try:
N49 48.063 W127 06.107
N49 46.068 W126 58.298

I have also caught some nice salmon. There are two places I would be fishing for sure! And both would be the afternoon flood.
  • There is a 60' hole between "Mid Rock" and "Black Rock" where I just happen to have caught my largest salmon early in the season. I just trolled in and around the pocket, keeping my bait on the bottom and I do mean "bottom". You'll see the spot on the chart. And, I only fish this area early in the season: N49 49.328 W127 01.957
  • The second spot is right on the northside of Tahsis Narrows. Yep... I have caught several nice fish there. On your way back in I would stop and troll: N49 51.772 W126 41.671
The other spots I would be trying and have had good luck with, this early is:
Frank Rocks: N49 45.589 W126 56.940
Northside of the Northwest Cone: N49 45.361 W126 58.160

The area between Mid Rock & Black Rock
MidRock-1.jpg

Tahsis Narrows
TahsisNarrows-1.jpg

Good fishing! :D

That spot in the narrows is a great spot. Used to be lights out when we could fish the cut in the summer.

Charlie:

Great info - Thanks!

We did OK on feeder Chinook around Steamer Point and in Hecate Channel. Halibut were pretty scarce in the spots we checked, but we ran out to deep water off of Tatchu Point and picked up one 35 pound Hali. Had a couple more hits, but nothing else hooked up.

The weather was great, two of the calmest days I've seen off-shore in quite a while.

Got some good Eagle photos to boot!

DSC_4155-Eagle-fish-2.jpg

DSC_4117-Eagle-fish.jpg

DSC_4262-Suzanne.jpg

DSC_3987-Kevin_Gray-Halibut.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Awesome pics..... Great Reports.....Will be back at the lodge for the week on Monday hope to squeeze in a some fishing. Holmes will you be at Critter.....Heard that someone caught there limit of decent sized winter springs in Nootka Sound on Monday on the inside. No report of where??? Jim how did things work out after we chatted last via VHF did you have to replace your leg and engine????

Cheers ME
Always Monitoring Channel 6

Nootka Marine Adventures

www.moutchabay.com

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

Jim how did things work out after we chatted last via VHF did you have to replace your leg and engine????

Cheers ME
Always Monitoring Channel 6

Nootka Marine Adventures

www.moutchabay.com

Brand new leg - engine was OK. I have to go sea trial just as soon as I can arrange to get to CR - should have boat back in the next week.

In my haste to post photos, I forgot some details on the fishing.

Hot lure was a lime green and glow Gibbs spoon in 4" similar to the Coyote, which everyone bought for the third day, but my lure still outfished them. No flasher, set at 90' and fishing in 150' to 400' of water. Best fishing was late in the day after 5 PM.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Back