No Walk Arounds Anymore.

walleyes

Crew Member
Is it just me am I missing something but what's with the lack of options in walk around models the last couple years. It's getting slim pickings in new models. A few years ago we had a lot of options and sizes it seems the last couple years manufacturers have really cut back. Even Grady you jump from a 23' to a 30' all the older names that made a few models have scaled back. Pursuit, Pro Line, Boston Whaler, no more Trophy. Striper seems to be the only ones still into the market with any interest. It seems most either have low end boats or $400,000 boats nothing in between.

I agree with you. I think a lot of the US manufacturers are making dual consoles rather than walk arounds. Dual consoles in the sizes mentioned seem fit well with families (enclosed head) , entertaining as well as providing a decent fishing platform. Could be a better utilization of space when you consider the weather in Florida and Southern states. Take into account that most smaller boats are used for day trips and not overnighting. I have a Wellcraft Coastal and they still produce 4 walkarounds in the 22-29 foot range. I find the cabin is useful for our conditions and for my use.

Yah I like the looks of the 252 Coastal, it's got nice lines.

Probably because of the explosion of alluminum pilot houses on the northern west coast. Southern US is all center consoles. Market is just not there for the Walkarounds.

I think Geno and Trophy21 largely hit it. We are not Florida, much of the time it is cold out there. People want to be out of the wind, cold, rain, salt spray and on some days that lobster inducing hot sun. We are not out there for a short whale watching trip, we are out there fishing for many long days. To do that you need a roof and a cabin of decent size. Unless the boat is huge, walkarounds, especially the center consol type, leave less room for a decent size cabin and the comfort that provides fishing in our north coast environment.

Last edited:
For the big volume makers, be it boats, motors, rods or tackle... the southeast US is where it's at. If it's not moving fast there, it's not worth the bother because everywhere else is a niche market.

Your right FD a true walk around has its limitations. The 265 has a great set up. To me anyways its essentially a walk around style boat with a larger cockpit area. According to Grady's web site they are not offering the 265 any longer by what I see it's been discontinued. Being sort of my point, a few years back we had lots of options in this style of boat such is not the case the last couple years.
It's true it seems the aluminum manufactures have sort of taken up this niche or size of boat. The 24-27' open water fishing boat / cuddly platform.
Not having any new options doesn't bother me at this time as I'm a couple years out from purchasing one but that's just it, in 3 - 4 years from now what are our options going to be. We won't have the option of getting into a good used boat only a couple years old with low hours because there aren't any being built now. Where is that going to leave us in the next few years.

yeah

265's were made up to 2005/2006 ,
im ok with an older tub , they havent changed much ,
super wide body . still trailer able , extremely stable offshore platforms , smooth heavy ride ,
cant afford to spend $225 k on a new , so used it is , with new power for around $100k landed and ready to play
couple years away still , so the Striper will do for now , shes good to me

Aluminums are taking over the market , no doubt , i prefer my heavy glaas smooth ride ;)

fd

I have a 2004 Seaswirl Striper 2101 WA with 180 hours on the main, a 2004 Yamaha 150 with 180 original hours and 2004 Yamaha 8 High Trust kicker that will be offered for sale for sure next year and maybe this year once I get her in the water........ My spring yard work is almost done so maybe in the next couple of weeks.
I purchased the boat in Portland with 8 hours on her. Loaded with Lowrance radar, Lowrance sonar/GPS with 10" colour screen, VHF with emergency button and a pair of Scooty 1106 expandable down riggers.......and dusl axle 2003 Carney trailer, also mint!
I purchased this unit when I retired and found out that I hate backing up a boat, hate driving a boat and hate towing a boat......so it hasn't been used much. For 3/4 years I fished with Springfever II and only took it out locally a couple of times each year.........When most people see the unit they believe it is new......how many people do you know with motor covers on both motors........:)
Seawolf, member on this forum has driven the boat more then I have and I am sure he or Springfever can vouche for everything I have stated above..........

There's a few out there now that are decent buys. The issue is they are 10 years old now, in 4 years they are 14. A guy keeps the boat for another 15 years it's a 30 year old boat. I agree it's tough to pay new price but it also sucks to buy to old. I'm a very fussy guy I like my stuff to be in good shape, for me to buy used it's got to be in darn nice shape.

This one caught my eye last night dandy tub. Probly get it for 75 cdn. The Optimax wouldn't be my first choice be about 4th or 5th lol but no hrs on it a guy would get many years use out of it. Throw on a radar and some down riggers and she's ready. For the year she looks pretty sweet.

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/6080768926.html

This one is interesting. This boat was for sale a couple weeks ago for 65 cdn OBO. Not sure maybe someone knows but I would assume someone bought it and is reselling it for some extra change. A guy could get a few years out of it. Now that I know what it was going for I wouldn't give the guy what he's asking now.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/6178854563.html

Again I'm not in the market per say this year but just thinking ahead a couple years, I don't want to have to buy anything too old. My plan is my next one will be my last big boat. As I don't live on the coast it would see limited use on the chuck and a few hrs on my home lake as it's a big lake with an awesome marina. I would be surprised if I put 100 hrs a year on it. I have a couple smaller walleye boats I use around home so when I buy my big boat it's going to last. My plan would be to get 20 years out of the boat, change engines maybe but not the boat.

If I lived in Florida, I'd have a sweet Center Console too. - What can I say, fair weather fisherman? :D

Since we live in the PNW. I'll definitely settle for a Pilot House anytime. Plenty of older walk-around available though that are great hulls! (if you are willing to search or buy non-local). The only problem with them is that they cramp seating for multiple fishers/guests because of the WA sides!

think most serious fishers realize that they would have a larger cockpit area ,
not many of us really need to walk around the boat often , my next boat will NOT be a walk around
mint Grady 265 express most likely for me , love the layout

fdExactl
think most serious fishers realize that they would have a larger cockpit area ,
not many of us really need to walk around the boat often , my next boat will NOT be a walk around
mint Grady 265 express most likely for me , love the layout

fd
I completely agree. A large cockpit for salmon and halibut fishing. The walk around design just takes away from useable cabin space. The only time I've needed to walk to the front of my boat was when we foul hooked a seal in Pedder Bay.

I wanted a walk around until I spent some time on one, and I didn't want a pilot house until I spent some time on one.

I wanted a center console until I started running out of the Fraser in 20 knot winds and plowed through a few waves that would have swamped a similarly sized open boat.

I'm still flexible on what I'd most like to own, but the pilot house grew on me.

I wanted a walk around until I spent some time on one, and I didn't want a pilot house until I spent some time on one.

I wanted a center console until I started running out of the Fraser in 20 knot winds and plowed through a few waves that would have swamped a similarly sized open boat.

I'm still flexible on what I'd most like to own, but the pilot house grew on me.
When I was in the market I was searching for a nice Striper and then I talked to a guy on the dock with a Skagit Orca. He loved the Pilot House and said it was a West Coast boat for real West Coast weather with no canvas and nice cabin. When the wife stepped on she said buy one because she liked being able to look out the windows and enjoy the ride rather than being down inside like the Walk Around style.

So many variations in all these models as well. Some of the appeals of walk around is ease of cleaning. Take a hose and wash it down. You get a nice WA with an Alaskan package there's no need to be crawling down into anything. Many advantages to every model hence the reason they make so many, no such thing as the perfect boat. I own 3 now and I haven't found it lol.

If the Aluminum makers keep going at it the way they are and we get a flood of them on the market their used value will go down as well. Be some decent buys out there on some nice welded pilots we won't to have to pay new price for a worn out tub.

I've spent many days fishing out of a 24' Kingfisher, 27' Kingfisher and a new 2015 26' Weldcraft rigged to the nines and I can honestly say yes they were nice boats but they also had their down falls in some aspects. Just depends on what a guys main use will be.

Last edited:
I can't afford metal but would love one. I am lucky, found out 30 years ago what I like and what worked for me, now its just footitis. I have owned double eagles for 30 years, 14, 16, 17, 18, they work for BC, safe, comfortable for me and catch fish. Think the newer 20.6 HT cuddy with a pod would be nicer than my 18.6. Oh oh

HM

In addition to the decreased protection from the elements, I don't really see the advantage of walkarounds, especially the open center console type for most of the fishing methods we use in the PNW. I can see some advantage if one were on a lake casting for bass and perhaps if you had a large group on board and wanted to jig in that you could easily spread out around the boat. Even so it is not like cabin boats don't have access to the forward deck. On our 22 Express Cruiser there is a narrow foot ledge on the outside and a stainless hand rail all along the outside of the cabin. Truth be told I would only want to use it on calm water and not at speed and would want a safety line if it were bumpy. However, that is not the method we use to get to the forward deck for things like anchoring or if someone wanted to sunbath. There is a large vertically L-shaped hatch (like some sail boats have) in the Cuddy roof/deck that makes it very easy to step up and out onto the forward deck. Just push it up and back a little and it clips into the forward bulkhead and stays open and out of the way. Because of its L-shaped design it is even easy to carry a long fishing rod or net with you as you step up and out. Not that we have ever netted from the bow.

Last edited:
Years ago i looked for a 19ft Campion C/C and finally found a beauty at a great price and shot over there to see it. As soon as I got out of the truck I knew I was going to buy it. Knocked on the guys door and he was just walking out with the new owner. Cried for months over it. Then my buddy buys one and I fished with him all year and Learned to hate it. I would either freeze my butt off in the cold or melt in the sunshine. He eventually he put a T-top on it but it was not all that much better. Long story short I love my Hourston. Nice and warm and out of the rain and hot sun.

Back