No size limit for Chinok?

Nigels

Am I right in my interpretation that the last management measure 0544 has expired on July 14 and therefore there is no maximum size limit on Chinook?

Effective Dates: 00:01 hours June 17 until 23:59 hours July 14, 2017

Waters: Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9 and 18-11, 19-5, and those portions of
Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that lie southeasterly of a line from a point on the east
side of Valdes Island located at 49 degrees 05.562'N and 123 degrees 39.989'W
then extending approximately 57 degrees True to the North Arm Jetty Light
located at 49 degrees 15.440'N and 123 degrees 16.778'W.
Management Measure: The daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day between
62 and 85 cm. Chinook salmon over 85 cm may not be retained.

The minimum size limit for chinook salmon in these waters is 62 cm.

Sorry for the typo in the title!

Yes expired. No new notice, so no maximum size limit.

I love how we must 'ask the audience' or 'phone a friend' to get clarity on this subject. Is it not possible for DFO to simply post a notice saying the slot has been removed?

Silence is not the best method of confirmation IMO.

What about a beginning date and end date published on a Fisheries Notice is so hard to understand ? That's normal FN protocol and very clear IMO. The info you need is there on the latest FN pertaining to your particular area/sub area and fishery. If there was an amendment to an previous FN (extending dates or retention changes for example) it would be posted as a new FN with updated details --

DFO likely won't ever post anything like this in a FN: "please note that we have now arrived at the end date as posted in FN ##### so FYI go right ahead now and have at her" ... lol !

Anyway, just follow the latest Fishery Notice posted on the area and fishery/species you are fishing and you will be good. Check FN's , before you go fishing, for any new notices pertaining to your area.

I would highly recommend not relying on your FN information via this forum or via "phone a friend"

Last edited:
IMHO there clearly is a problem w.r.t. clarity when many folks read the regs and are still unsure. You have to read them in order, then ignore the expired ones and then overlay them onto the coastwide regs. If you misread any of them along the way then the boolean logic you had to mentally apply to get a composite picture of the current reg is flawed.

I have no trouble reading the regs, but I can understand why folks have trouble. Too much overlaid, expired, and implied information only causes one to question their interpretation of the regs. It surely can be improved.

A DFO reg that has been written such that you'd need a lawyer to decipher is a common complaint but that is quite different than understanding DFO's FN protocol. If you understand the FN protocol, you likely will see why there is no need for an additional FN stating that an expired FN has ....well, expired. See the redundancy yet? If an FN is going to be amended ( extended/ changed) another FN will come out explaining new information - very efficient IMO.

It is the responsibility of the fisher to at least understand how the FN system works and what it means. It provides updates and amendments when that information is necessary. If an FN has expired dates without any amendment to it via a new FN then its expired. ...BUT keep a watch for amendments. Others above have provided the answer that it expired so clearly some people here understand FN info - not just me. I chose to provide you with more of an explanation of why we know the answer .

This may be a dead post, but I thought I'd add a few comments for clarification when it comes to regulations for closed time etc. The sport fish regulations are set by size, species or closure. The Fishery Act allows regulations to be varied. If a regulation is repealed or the time runs out the size, limit and closed time reverts back to the regulations.

In a nut shell DFO varies the regulations to allow fishing opportunities but once the variation order expires the regulations remain in effect. All new Variation orders must include the repeal of the old one to provide clarity for the courts.

From the Canada Gazette BC sport fish regulations:

48 No person shall catch and retain a salmon of a species set out in column I of Schedule VI, in any Subarea, lake or stream, the overall length of which is less than the minimum overall length set out in column II.

SCHEDULE VI(Sections 43, 44 and 48)

Close Times, Size Limits and Quotas for Salmon in Tidal and Non-Tidal Waters

Item Column I Column II Column III Column IV Column V
Species
Minimum Overall Length Overall Length Daily Quotas Close Time
1 Hatchery chinook salmon 45 cm
  • (1) 50 cm or less
  • (1) 4
  • (1) From 23:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs on December 31
  • (2) over 50 cm
  • (2) 2
  • (2) From 23:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs on December 31
2 Wild chinook salmon 45 cm
  • (1) 50 cm or less
  • (1) 4
  • (1) From 23:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs on December 31
  • (2) over 50 cm
  • (2) 2
  • (2) From 23:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs on December 31

When fishery notices expire things just return to the status quo regualtion. DFO typically doesn't release a fishery notice saying that a regulation has expired.

Back