No recreational sportfishing in Nova Scotia... WTF??

Sad..and I this is the direction our gov't is taking US
They are fighting for their 'Right to fish" to be given back.

"Join this group if you want to lobby the Government to allow recreational sportfishing opportunites in Nova Scotia for Tuna, Shark, Swordfish, Halibut, Lobster, and any other fish that is currently restricted to commercial fishing only at this time!"
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135771403134247

Cheers All,

"...to allow recreational sportfishing opportunities in Nova Scotia..." This is just a scarey position. They should not have to crawl, hat in hand, to ask for permission to use what is already theirs. Again...time for riots in the street!
I am certainly hoping that the 'powers that be' come to their senses before they have that sense handed to them through a pink slip! Embarassing...

Cheers All,

"...to allow recreational sportfishing opportunities in Nova Scotia..." This is just a scarey position. They should not have to crawl, hat in hand, to ask for permission to use what is already theirs. Again...time for riots in the street!
I am certainly hoping that the 'powers that be' come to their senses before they have that sense handed to them through a pink slip! Embarassing...

What is embarassing is the total lack of accountability from the rec sector. Do you have any idea what would be left on the east coast if you opened the lobster fishery to the general public? Can you say blue back?

Maybe you should fill a van up and take your position to the east coast and we can see how many of you make it back..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
What is embarassing is the total lack of accountability from the rec sector. Do you have any idea what would be left on the east coast if you opened the lobster fishery to the general public? Can you say blue back?

Fish4all-beat it- move along

Maybe you should fill a van up and take your position to the east coast and we can see how many of you make it back..lol

trollspray.jpg

hey guys-- just to give you some perspective.. the State of Maine has a recreational lobster fishery-- and guess what-- Last year was one of their best commercial years ever.....

gee- seems like you CAN have both a rec and a commercial fishery-- who wodda thunked!!

Fish for all, sounds like you think you represent the commercial fisherman? I don't think so, the commercial people I know wouldn't want their dog to **** on your doorstep.

hey guys-- just to give you some perspective.. the State of Maine has a recreational lobster fishery-- and guess what-- Last year was one of their best commercial years ever.....

gee- seems like you CAN have both a rec and a commercial fishery-- who wodda thunked!!

ok lets put these rules in for the halibut fishery then.

Residency Requirements: Any individual who has been domiciled in Maine for the past 6 months preceding the date of
application is eligible for a resident license. A corporation is eligible for a resident license if it has been created and exists under
the laws of Maine and it has existed in Maine for 6 months preceding the date of application. A firm or partnership is eligible if all
of its officers or partners have been domiciled in Maine for 6 months preceding the date of application. For the purposes of this
license application, a resident is a person who:
A. If registered to vote, is registered in Maine;
B. If licensed to drive a motor vehicle, has made application for a Maine motor vehicle operator’s license;
C. If the owner of one or more motor vehicles located within the State, has registered at least one of the motor vehicles in
Maine; and
D. If required to file a Maine income tax return on the previous April 15th, filed a Maine income tax return.
Note: According to Title 12 MRS Section 6421(5), a noncommercial lobster and crab fishing license may
only be issued to an individual who is a resident.

huh?...access to halibut is a fundamental CANADIAN RITE, BEFORE COMMERCIAL INTERESTS, THATS RITE BEFORE, should i say it again f4all?..dont you get it?...dont matter where you come from in Canada

again it is a privledge.

dude yer wrong plain and simple, its a privledge that the commercials are allowed to harvest and sell fish, that is a privledge, one that is going to be taken away or atleast reduced, this i promise ...holmes*

possibly reduced with compensation.

The blue backs were fine until the local trawl fleet got pushed out by the corporate machine (seine fleet .)That's about the same time the local canneries/fish markets stopped making money and the corporation took over to feed the few deep pockets. Spin it how ever you like ,I was here wen we used to fish along side the local trawlers.Hooks and lines .people made a living,sporties caught fish and the harbor was buzzing with activity. After the big boats showed up,the fish stopped being brought in to the local harbors and all was quiet.MMMMMMMMMMMM?? Oh ya cannery/ market closed .

If we didn't have the commercial salmon fishery here on the west coast we would still have the millions of Coho, Steelhead and Chinook swimming in our waters. Fish4all go down to DFO and get the frickin facts, its all in black and white. The millions of pounds that were caught by the seiners/gill netters up until the 80's is disgusting. Paints the true reason we have few left now. Not to mention the waste that occured in the early part of the last century when commercialy caught fish was dumped because it rotted in the summer sun waiting to long for processing.

To add.....I suppose the rec sector caught all the herring, pilchards, Yellow Eye, Rock Fish, Ling Cod, abalone, killed all the whales and sea otters. Commercial fishing for profit had nothing to do with it. Give me a break.

How about the destruction of much of the good coho rearing habitat? Could plankton/krill commercial fisheries in the straight effect the food chain for young salmon?

All valid points but it does not change the facts that there is not enough fish now for the effort. I am in full support of habitat restoration and enhancement. Also just so it's out there i am not in favor of people sitting at home leasing quotas out for exorborant amounts of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we didn't have the commercial salmon fishery here on the west coast we would still have the millions of Coho, Steelhead and Chinook swimming in our waters. Fish4all go down to DFO and get the frickin facts, its all in black and white. The millions of pounds that were caught by the seiners/gill netters up until the 80's is disgusting. Paints the true reason we have few left now. Not to mention the waste that occured in the early part of the last century when commercialy caught fish was dumped because it rotted in the summer sun waiting to long for processing.

No doubt they had an effect. you are talking 30 years ago. Why have they not rebuilt? for the last 15 yrs the seins/gillnets have had very little fishing time the trollers are all but gone unless there is a sockeye opening. What I do see is a few hundread rec boats(and thats just the lower straits) every day of the summer where these fleets used to work. So to imply that you have little effect is BS.

Back