No Habitat, No Fish: Harper Plans for Elimination of Wildlife Protection!!!

Whole in the Water

We need to monitor this and if the Feds try to do this we need to get them to change their minds for our sake and the sake of future generations! This cannot take place!!! :mad:

The Harper government will attempt to sneak this neutering of the Fisheries Act through Parliament within the next two weeks by tacking it on to the end of the up coming Budget Omnibus Bill.

Contact your MP, DFO Minister and Harper to tell them this cannot happen!!!

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=current

Press Release
March 12, 2012
http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news...rotection.html

Harper Government to Eliminate Habitat Protection Provisions in the Canada Fisheries Act

To date the Harper government has shown little regard for the protection of the environment and over the past few years has supervised the almost total elimination of enforcement of the habitat protection and the pollution provisions of the Canada Fisheries Act (Sections 35 and 36 respectively). During the Cohen Inquiry in 2011 data was presented to show that pollution and habitat violation investigations have been greatly reduced and convictions of violations in BC and indeed throughout Canada is now almost non-existent (see attachment).

The Fisheries Act of Canada was put in place in 1868 and is one of the oldest and most tested pieces of environmental legislation in the world. In 1975 many people worked hard to get a proper section added to the Act to protect fish habitat in Canada. Section 35 (habitat protection) was passed by Parliament in 1976 and has been extensively used across Canada over the past 36 years. In B.C., the Federal and BC governments largely quit enforcing the pollution and habitat sections of the Act in favor of allowing industry to self govern their own environmental project’s ‘needs’ and monitor their own self compliance.

This has proven to be a disaster wherever it has been attempted elsewhere in the World.

I have just been leaked a confidential copy of proposed changes to the habitat provisions of the Fisheries Act as directed by the political levels within the Harper Government. The government is totally re-writing the habitat protection provisions of Section 35(1) so as to remove habitat protection out of the Fisheries Act.

This is a serious situation and will put Canada back to where we were in the pre 1976 period where Canada had no laws to protect fish habitat and no way to monitor the great industrial expansion that occurred in Canada with the consequential loss of major fish habitat all across Canada.

Fish habitat includes the lakes, rivers and oceans and their water flows, life processes, the banks and the riparian vegetation along a water way, marshes, gravel beds and the diversity of habitat that allow a rich and diverse population of life to live in our waterways that supports a large economic, cultural and recreational fishery.

Also this habitat produces healthy and robust populations of fish that are essential to the feeding and maintaining the health of the aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems e.g. the bears, eagles, otters, grebes, herons, etc.

Section 35(1) of the Fisheries Act now states:
35(1) No person shall carry on any work or undertaking that results in the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat.

(2) No person contravenes subsection (1) by causing the alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat by an means or under any conditions authorized by the Minister or under the regulations made by the Governor in Counsel under this Act

The proposed new subsection 35(1) of the Fisheries Act is as follows:
35(1) No person shall carry on any work, undertaking or activity, other than fishing, that results in an adverse effect on a fish of economic, cultural or ecological value.
(2) No person contravenes subsection (1) if
(a) the adverse effect is authorized by the Minister and is produced in accordance with the conditions established by the Minister;
(b) the adverse effect is authorized by a person prescribed by the regulations and is produced in accordance with the conditions prescribed by the regulations;
(c) the work, undertaking or activity is carried on in accordance with the conditions set out in the regulations or with any other authorization issued under this Act;
(d) the work, undertaking or activity is carried on in, on, over, under, through or across any Canadian fisheries waters, and
(i) the work, undertaking or activity falls within a class of works, undertakings or activities, or the Canadian fisheries waters fall within a class of Canadian fisheries waters, established by regulation, and
(ii) the work, undertaking or activity is carried on in accordance with the conditions prescribed by the regulations.

The existing effective and essential piece of legislation is to be changed to apparently just protect fish - something that the Act already does. The lack of mention of ‘habitat’ in the proposed draft law and the number of subjective and ambiguous words inserted into this major amendment will make any enforcement of this new law very difficult. For instance what is a fish of economic, cultural or ecological value? If is has no economic value, can it now be needlessly destroyed?

This newly drafted provision is not intended to protect fish habitat in any manner whatsoever. To support the habitat provisions in the Act, in 1986 DFO developed the National Habitat Policy with it’s central theme of ‘no net loss’ and it was once heralded as one of Canada’s first policies promoting sustainable development. Will that now also be withdrawn?

Also the above drafted section is enabling the making of regulations and, as with CEAA, the government may pass many regulations that restrict the intent of that section of the Act. That is double jeopardy. First the Canadian government amends the legislation to eliminate the protection of fish habitat and then it may undermine that new questionable fish protection legislation by allowing the passing of regulations that will create loopholes in what is left in the Act.

DFO used to hand out pencils and pens with the slogan embossed on their sides – No Habitat – No Fish. The Prime Minster and the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans must realize that the Government has not replaced nature and has not changed the ecological and natural laws that create habitat and maintain ecological functioning in our essential life supporting aquatic ecosystems.

They cannot replace living forms of life and their habitats and when it’s gone, it’s gone. Why at this key time in our history of ongoing industrial development pressures on our rivers, lakes and oceans, do we turn away from responsible aquatic habitat protection responsibilities? Where is the ethic and moral responsibility for our children and future generations and those that cannot be heard or cannot vote – our fish and wildlife resources?

This proposed move by the Harper government is a travesty for our fishery resources and the health of the entire ecosystem and it ignores the needs of our future generations. It is little less than another attack on the biological systems that allow life to exist on this planet. To make matters worse, the political level has decided to not consult with DFO staff or the public on these proposed changes.

The Harper government will attempt to sneak this neutering of the Fisheries Act through Parliament within the next two weeks by tacking it on to the end of the up coming Budget Omnibus Bill.

This is disgraceful and the movers of this legislative change are urged to reconsider their planned reckless and irresponsible actions. All sport fish groups, fishermen, First Nations, ENGOs and the public must say enough is enough and oppose what Mr. Harper is planning to do.

For more information please call:

Otto E. Langer
Fishery Biologist and Aquatic Ecologist

Phone 604 274 7655 Email​

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Harper's reaction to the recent court ruling forcing them to protect Orca Habitat and a way of smoothing the way for the Enbridge Pipeline. The existing laws enabled Ecojustice and others to launch court challenges because the pipeline route will clearly "alter and destroy" fish habitat; approximately 700 of them!!. So typical Harper, he doesn't like the rules of the game so he is altering them in his favour!!

This is terrible, terrible news.

I am writing to my MP's right now!

sneaky slimy bs. Thanks for the heads up ill write and send this on too. Send to not just your mp but to any and others who want to oppose Harper as many mps are in his back pocket. English im starting to think youd be a great voice to head up with Chris the lobbist group we need to be loud and heard. Nice to have another meeting soon with interested partys so we can be organized when a issue comes up be fast to act and bring media attention and such.

sneaky slimy bs. Thanks for the heads up ill write and send this on too. Send to not just your mp but to any and others who want to oppose Harper as many mps are in his back pocket. English im starting to think youd be a great voice to head up with Chris the lobbist group we need to be loud and heard. Nice to have another meeting soon with interested partys so we can be organized when a issue comes up be fast to act and bring media attention and such.

F.S. I'm going to the SFAB meeting on the 21st in Victoria, but as someone else has pointed out on this forum I am relatively new to this area of lobbying activity (though I have been fishing for many years), and I am not about to elbow aside guys who I know have worked hard on all these issues for a long time and who know a great deal more than I do. However, if I can be of help to Chris or anyone else I am more than happy to do so, as now I have retired I have time to attend meetings etc. (In general, I would say my strengths are in the written word (in the spoken word not so much :eek:) and so in that vein I have also written to the Time Colonist and and Vancouver Sun on this topic (as a private citizen of course :)).

I sent this on to my local MP, and she kept me up to date with what happened in the House today, so I am sharing the response.

Mr. Fin Donnelly (New Westminster—Coquitlam, NDP): Mr. Speaker,
It appears the Conservatives are planning to bury sweaping changes to the Fisheries Act in the upcoming budget. The minister uses the word “modernize” but removing habitat protection from the Fisheries Act would set Canada back decades. The minister must come clean. Is the minister planning to change section 35 of the Fisheries Act in the next budget? Is the plan to eliminate the protection of fish habitat in Canada and effectively gut the law, yes or no?
Hon. Keith Ashfield (Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, CPC): Mr. Speaker, there has been no decision made with regard to this issue. I will note that Canada is blessed with an abundant array of natural resources of which we should be proud and which we take seriously and responsibly to conserve and protect.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 13, 2012

DFO LEAK SPELLS TROUBLE FOR FISHERIES MANAGEMENT

OTTAWA - Today in Question Period, NDP Fisheries and Oceans critic Fin Donnelly questioned the Minister on plans to make sweeping changes to section 35 of the Fisheries Act, essentially stripping habitat protection out of the legislation.

According to a leaked document released by a former DFO employee, the Harper government may be planning to dilute the habitat protection provisions of the Fisheries Act. The Conservatives may delete habitat protection from Section 35(1) of the Act. According to the source, they plan to ram this change through using the Budget Omnibus bill.

“At a time when the government should strengthen habitat protection, the Conservatives plan to gut one of the strongest environmental laws in the country,” said Donnelly. “These changes will set Canada back decades.“

“The Conservative government is systematically dismantling environmental protection and regulation,” said Donnelly. “By eliminating provisions to protect fish habitat, they can push through their agenda of pipelines, oil super tankers, mega mines and other projects that harm the environment.”

“With the stroke of a pen, this government could wipe out decades of progress and condemn future generations to clean up the mess they’re making. It’s reprehensible.”

Thanks for the update Traveller, nice to see to see the call out in parliament.

I dont mean elbow your way in lol I think its the more the merrier. I was actually thinking you would be a good letter drafter for us less ellaquit(lol see my spelling is so bad my spell checker dosnt know). Something we can add our thoughts to or just sign and send with our names. The more emails they get the better.

Thanks for the update Traveller, nice to see to see the call out in parliament.

I dont mean elbow your way in lol I think its the more the merrier. I was actually thinking you would be a good letter drafter for us less ellaquit(lol see my spelling is so bad my spell checker dosnt know). Something we can add our thoughts to or just sign and send with our names. The more emails they get the better.

OK, sure. PM me anytime if you want me to help with anything.
BTW the word you were groping for was "eloquent".......:)

Fish Stalker,

I have been quite involved this past year with visiting MP's and talking to them about letters received, and have learned a lot: it really doesn't matter too much what you say, eloquence is nice, but not necessary at all. The fact that you have taken the time to write and express strong disagreement with a particular point, and point out to them this is an issue which will affect the way you vote in a coming election will be very powerful; the letters are saved and counted. Visiting them in person is easy, and counts a lot as well...again all you have to do is tell them that you don't agree with the proposal and then listen to them tell you you just don't understand how wonderful it all is....but your personal visit is certainly recorded. If you PM me, I would be happy to rough draft something for you to send if you still don't feel comfortable writing a letter.

I received the update I posted by just e-mailing the executive assistant of my local MP and expressing my concern.

I would be willing to help out with Chris Bos, Englishman or anyone else for that matter! IMO we need people to come together to develop plans to:
- clearly decide what and how we want to bring about positive changes for better management of our fisheries and for the sportfishing sector,
- ideas on how to increase the level of interest and unity amongst the sportfishing sector,
- create strategic alliances with other like minded organizations to share ideas and resources,
- raise funds for collect data complete needed research to provide the information to back up our cause,
- develop a marketing/communications plan to inform the public of all the issues out there and increase our level of public support,
- raise money to build up a budget for the possibility of an eventual lawsuit against DFO
- etc,...

I know it sounds like a tall order, but it has to be done if we are going to change things for the bettter. The more people that get involved the easier and sooner it can happen!

"Meanwhile, the Conservative-dominated Commons environment committee on Tuesday recommended downloading much of the job of environmental assessment to the provinces and imposing timelines so the development of big projects won’t be delayed."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...g-fish-habitat-documents-show/article2368513/

"In its present form, the environmental review process can cause delays and lead to lost economic opportunities, she said – “a particularly important fact given that major energy and mining projects represent as much as $500-billion dollars in potential investment over the next decade.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...gut-review-process-opposition/article2367961/

Kinda tough not to see the pattern here - if your head ain't buried in the sand that is...

Nog

Arrogant SOB's. How do we fix this? Schedule a trip to Ottawa Holmes. In the meantime- find your municipal, provincial and federal politicians and voice your concerns.

Sorry, I can't bite my tongue: Canadians election wishes coming true! Are you honestly saying you didn't see that coming? There were enough warnings before election and you know what? You better hold on because you haven't seen anything yet!

Hell I saw it coming but what does one do they all disappear once elected.

This is just the begining.DFO will not talk to us. With my issues the Bill James Dam, take away the water and you take away the fish. To DFO if you have no fish, you have on issues. I AM PISSED.

I would STRONGLY encourage anyone on this forum who cares about the protection of our fisheries and environment (this impacts both fishers and hunters alike) to take a minute to fill out this form and send it to the Federal Govt. to tell them that these proposed changes to the Fisheries Act are not acceptable. If we do nothing about this a bad outcome is certain. Please take the time to do this now and share with as many other people that you know.

Back