NITNAT RIVER

Hey, buddy of mine was up there yesterday said the place a was a freakin ghost town. only saw 2 other flyfisherman up there. and also said the springs have either moved way up river or back to the lake as they only saw 3 fish. this was between the lake and nitnat bridge. Never been farther up so maybe if guys are fishing up there i dont know about it.

-Steve

I walked from the bottom hole up about 1km past the first fishable bend. I have to say its a sad go. The fish have no reason to hold anywhere as there is more then enough water that they can move as they see fit. I saw 2 fish that were actually trully CHROME one was a 15lb chum. The other was a 20lb Spring.

If your looking to catch some big black rubber boots and hook some giant logs. GO NOW..

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Hey, buddy of mine was up there yesterday said the place a was a freakin ghost town. only saw 2 other flyfisherman up there. and also said the springs have either moved way up river or back to the lake as they only saw 3 fish. this was between the lake and nitnat bridge. Never been farther up so maybe if guys are fishing up there i dont know about it.

-Steve
That is a very grim report! Every pool should be loaded at this time of year. Each year the conditons get harder, water temp/height ect., and less fish show up. Not a good sign of the times.....Everyone sould just leave the boots alone.period.

Went up this weekend, fished the first bend west of the hatchery ( hope that wasn't the GH slough ), there were about 10 people fishing from shore. Four of which were foul hooking fish galore, one who's friend "suggested" I try the treble barbed hook they used to catch fish earlier that morning.

Everything over 6lbs looked to be black.

I was flat out laughing when I heard on the river that DFO came up to Nitnat. The only issue was that they sat on there asses in the truck.. Then waited for people to drive up to them... If they only knew that " Hey I have two legs and a heart beat " and walked the river and caught some of these people. Then something might happen.

I would like to know what kind of training they go through to become DFO.

Drivers License " CHECK "
Can sit on my butt and wait " CHECK "

Its NOT DFO, they have nothing to do with rivers or lakes. It's the MOE, conservation officers that deal with the fresh. Ocean= Federal Gov, Fresh Water= Provincial Gov. Like I've said on another thread, Nitinat NEVER has never a problem obtaining there brood stock eggs each year. The Hatchery is only about 3kms from the lake, very short swim for the fish to get in. It is set up for a put and take fishery. Hatchery clones!! I think MOE's time is better spent patrolling the few WILD flows we have left on the Southern Part of VI. They are very well aware of the NEWBIE show at Nitinat. Thats what it is a Newb show, if your happy convincing yourself that these black boots are biting your red wool or flies in low water pools schooled up in giant black balls then you fit right in. All you need is a pair of gum boots, coffee grinder, 2/0, tuft of wool, 30lb main and a good arm jerk. If your lucky enough to be there after a high water on the drop just after the fish have pushed in then u may get a few on some hardware, after that LOCKJAW. Your either flossing them or snagging them. HAVE AT ER;)

Pass the Pack

Sounds like you got er dialed in there bags> LOL
Ah I'm just kidding dude. We have all been there at one time or another. As is the case , most of us have learned to become disgusted with what happens year after year at that place. I'm sure you won't see either of us at the Nitnat anytime soon, but it won't deter each batch of newbs as they come onto the scene. Short term guys are here today gone tommorrow. Lifers figure it out in only a couple seasons up there. ( we hope )

HL:)

The DFO maintains management and regulatory jurisdiction over all 5 species of pacific salmon in salt and freshwater. They set the regulations governing recreational angling for salmon in rivers, and as such are the primary enforcement agency. The lack of presence of FO's on rivers is due mainly to lack of manpower, and the emphasis on the marine fisheries.

HEY JUNKIE,,, will be heading up ,now that theres some rain on wednesday, just replaced all my new shiny hardware with single barbless and new 15 pound spider wire, am looking forward to some real action after getting disgusted on the mouth of the San Juan today.....[:p]

Wow just got back from the river today. Does anyone pack out the garbage they bring in with them ?I thought I was back in the lower mainland fishing again.
=:(

Raining heavy when we left-Have a friend in there today and will find out tonight how it went.

Went up on the last day , ran into some real good honest fisahermen from,Victoria and the mainland,,,all were pissed that a group of 4 natives were camping up on the Nitnat discharging a shot gun and killing every fish they snagged.....they apparently were proud to show off their meat box and the Atlantic salmon they were catching,,,every head was cut off and had more than limits ....esl or natives what ever---what kind of bull **** is that!!!!!
We had a great day on the river I still dont get it why snag when every fish we caught and released including coho and chum were hitting out lures....single barbless.....!!!!

quote:Originally posted by HOOTEY

Atlantic salmon they were catching,
Atlantics???? Or steelhead?. Hope they weren't the dotted cheek ones

As the rumour goes these guys were so pissed they didnt care what they killed, when we showed up i didnt know who thewse guys were but they had four yapping muts with them fishing above me, when they left the other guys came over and told me about their bull **** because they were camping just down from thie foursome....the guys told me when they looked in the meat box there were chum coho and springs that they could recognise....

And did anyone bother to file a report over this?
Or simply content to biotch on the forum?? [}:)]

Nog

Back