NITNAT RIVER

Myself and a buddy spent all day monday walking the Nitnat from as far as you can drive past the hatchery walked it all the way down to the red rock then drove over to the mouth at the town,,,zero springs in the holes or runs very little water we stopped into the hatchery and the lady at the desk told us what we found out,,,have to wait for some good hard rainfall...at the town the springs were finning and juping around the wier,,,just enough to tease the hell out of us,,,,so its wait for the rain,,,,

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

On the other hand, once the fish have hit the rivers, and made it, maybe we should leave them alone? I'm for shutting them all down for salmon fishing, if the fish run the guantlet that's thrown at them in the ocean, leave them be. First Nations, Sporties, Commercial can all go fight for them on the sea.

I agree 100%.
With the way the numbers are these days the very least an ethical angler can do is leave them alone.

I am playing Devil's advocate here, but if concern over run size is a rational for closures, doesn't it make more sense to close the saltwater fishery than all freshwater fisheries? Once salmon are in the river, there is no doubt about which run they belong to. Therefore, it is easy to target fishing on strong and healthy runs in freshwater. But there is always some mixing of runs in the saltwater. So is seems to me that one is at greater risk of harming weak runs while fishing in the salt than in the fresh.

Good point.Those couple of springs a guy catches in the saanich inlet could be 25% or more of the returning fish heading for goldsteam. I fish both salt and freshwater but usally only keep fish from the salt.There is no clear answer.

hey Steelhead s2

I completely agree with you regarding closing salt vs. fresh. Fishing is alot more controlable in the river then the ocean, Like you said fisheries can allow fishing in certian rivers and close others.Not only would it help the runs but it would also allow younger fisherman and fisherman that might not be able to afford a boat target and retain different species of salmon. I now that alot of you arent going to agree with me regarding closing salt and opening freshwater opportunities but doesnt it make more sense. By working on the problem runs and not allowing any type of fishing hopefully in 5 or 6 years we might just might be able to save these fish.. Yes, in the short term it would effect commercial fisherman, sportfishing guides, lodges etc but in the long run it would help save our fish for generations to come. Can you imagine growing up and not having the opportunity to fish, man that would suck

We are allready there what do you think the PINK Pen Fishery is all about,,,,rtemeber when we used to be able to catch coho,springs etc in the Cowichan etc rivers,,,,,its not only our comercial fishing but the foreign fishermen pounding the **** out of all the fisheries for greed,,,,,ETC<!

Could you imagine 30 ft Grady Whites fishing for bass in a local lake. I can see more closures in salt water and single barbless,it has happend in the states.Anyways I fish Nitnat once in a while and have given lots of guys a good talking too, we call them the Wallmart fisherman , tackle box's , rubber waders etc. with no clue!If the water not to low and you find the fish in fast water and use a float, most are in the mouth. If the water is to low and all the fish are stuck in a pool (2 yrs ago) with 40 guys fishing it's bad

SEE YAWL ON THE RIVER TOMORROW,,,ITS RAINING SO THE sPRINGS WILL BE IN THE RIVER .....[:p]:D

Lets pound those river boots until they are too tired to spawn, way to go. Here is some words that I asscoiate with the NIT NAT river spring fisherie.....
Hornecastle, green whool, boots, tail bitters, back bitters, snaggers, flossing, elbow to elbow, 20 trucks at a spot, bears, garbage, nit newbs, disrespect & abuse!, shut'er down. Do the fisherie a favor and stay at home, save your gas money and leave the tar babies alone! Anybody that thinks that is fishing is smoking better stuff than me and Addicted.

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

I'll be at Red Rock first light to kick off the new season:D

Pass the Pack
Ahh David, still waiting by the phone, Sooke Mon, call me, sleep in charter?

Hi All,
Am over on the island working temporarily, would love to go up to the Nitinat take a look and hopefully sport fish next weekend. Does anyone have a link to a good river map or any tips on where to fish to avoid the snaggers? Alternatively if anyone is going up from the Victoria area drop me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
Many Thanks,
Nick

we were pleasantly surprised,,,,[V]only saw 8 snaggers working the lst hole on the river,,,other than that I was broken off 4 times (6lb test ) saw5 nice springs landed and ran into an old girl friend with her new hubby fishing, was a great day on the water no bears.....will giver a try wednesday with a little heavier line [:eek:)]

I grew up in a family where we fished all the time. Me and my Bro were fore warned many times by the old man that if he caught us messing with salmon in a river, he would kick our butt around the block. His feeling was once they are home to roost, leave 'em alone and let them do their thing to ensure fish for the future.

The old man's dead now, he can't kick my butt any more and I have fished salmon in a stream a couple of times since then. I've felt guilty as hell every time.

To me it seems there's not much sport in going to a pool full of fish and wailing on them for a couple of hours. ...but that's just me, to each their own. If it's lawful, fill your boots if your conscience can take it.

Im live in Vic and would be keen to go abck up to the Nitinat. I was up there over the weekend but was a bit early, only a few fish in the system. I'm real keen to get back up there for a day or two while the fish are fresh. My regular fishin buddy can't skip out on work and I have sport on Saturdays. Ive got the fishin bug something savage these days and have about 10 sick days banked at work so I'm down to go any time/day. Anyone going up drop me a line and we'll see if we can sort something out. I mainly chuck feathers but have other gear as well. I'm fairly young and ethical and would jump at an opportunity to get up there, or anywhere for a day on the river. Would go myself but my car wouldn't last very long on those potholes.

Cheers!

Have to agree with you Kildonan 100% Done my share of fishing the Nitnat in the past. Only ever killed the odd spring. I cannot stand whats going on up there anymore. So I will not fish nitty anymore. Might run up there to take some pics of bears and take some empty garbage bags with me and clean up the fishing line, lucky cans etc. cheers Fc.

Kildonan and fah cups....WOW ...saving the world and guilt tripping honest fishermen....I grew up with a tuff old guy for a father too, but he also taoght me to think for myself and with good conscionce(sp?)...today along with many other honest fishermen on the Nitnat was awesome we hit it just right the tide was up the river rising and schools of big clean,fresh springs were in the river we had the day of our lives took one fish home 45pounds on light tackle was absolutly picturesque on the river today,,,,and you know what,,,,my conscience is crystal!

quote:Originally posted by HOOTEY

Kildonan and fah cups....WOW ...saving the world and guilt tripping honest fishermen....I grew up with a tuff old guy for a father too, but he also taoght me to think for myself and with good conscionce(sp?)...today along with many other honest fishermen on the Nitnat was awesome we hit it just right the tide was up the river rising and schools of big clean,fresh springs were in the river we had the day of our lives took one fish home 45pounds on light tackle was absolutly picturesque on the river today,,,,and you know what,,,,my conscience is crystal!

Not trying to guilt anyone into anything. You fished within the law, brought home a nice fish, enjoyed yourself... two thumbs up. Just saying that type of fishery is not to my liking.

This is a discussion forum, Mr. HOOTEY. People type out their opinions. I typed mine, you typed yours, we both get to say our piece. Isn't it fun?

Carry on...

Hey Hooty Iam not trying to save the world nor do I have a problem with the honest guys. Just the snaggers and people who leave their garbage everwhere. Cheers Fc

Back