NHL/Canucks Thread 08/09

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

I would say Habs fans must be most annoying, because you can't deny they are the most successful professonal sports team in North America.

Not quite true, the new york yankees have actually won more cup's !

I stand corrected, New york Yankees have 26 and Montreal has 25 (after this year) ;)

Take only what you need.

Oddly enough, the Yankees are my favorite baseball team. (and Boston Whalers are my favorite boats).

YankeesGirl.jpg

Habs won again!!! 4-1 over Gretzky's team!!
Take only what you need.

Not sure if it is only me, but I cannot stand John Shorthouse doing the play-by-play of the game on Sportnet. He just does not have any passion in his voice, pretty boring. Jim Huson was much better, but CBC grabed him:(. And Tom Larshid should do what Bob Cole did and retire, so he can go cheer for the canucks without us having to listen to his BS.

The team looks better without the dead weight of the overpriced players around. Much more speed and excitement this year.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Habs won, 3-1 Vs Florida. The Backup goalie for Montreal played tonight, Any team in the NHL would be happy to have him as their #1 goalie, I'm sure. He held Montreal in the game. Not saying Price wouldn't have done the same, but I've always liked Halak, when I've seen him play. The game was on RDS tonight. Undefeated in regulation, so far so good.[:p]

halak-jaroslav-306-cp-081020.jpg

Take only what you need.

If they lose tonite?????I will be a Buffalo fan!
Will they make a move with over 10 million left in the their salary cap.

If the Canucks don't win a couple of games soon, they'll be out of the "Sundin Sweepstakes".[B)]

At least they'll have $10,000,000.00 to spend on some quality golf lessons, :D

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

HABS 8-1-1, best record in the NHL so far.[8D]

go-habs-go.jpg

Take only what you need.

I don't know, Mats has been a quailty player for some time, his experience can only help the club, not to mention he is a point a game man. I remeber 2 years ago when He almost single handedly eliminated Montreal from entering the playoffs. It all came down to one game and he came up big. I think it should be a good fit with a team full of guys whom none were fit to wear the C as Captain, now they have the leader they needed.

Take only what you need.

FA

It's not that none were fit to wear the 'C', they just wanted to placate Louie.

As far as Sundin goes, for me, the jury is still out. I wasn't overly excited about tossing that kind of coin at a guy who's in the twilight of his career and didn't help Toronto win a cup. He could end up being another 'Messier' fu#k-up. However, with Trevor now history there is a serious lack of veteran mentor-ship and if he serves to light up the rest of the Sweds' then that could be huge.

My biggest argument against Swed's, as far as the Canucks history goes (Gradin, Sundstrom, Naslund, Sedin's etc.) is that though they are generally exceptionally skilled skaters and are puck-smart, they usually got-no-balls!

(That said, did you see Olin 'take one on the chin for the team' in Edmonton the other night? Holy Sh#t! He hit the deck like a sack of hammers... what the hell was he thinkin? Here's my chin buddy - put one right here! Come-on... I dare ya... BOOM!)

I fly two Nuck flags on my work truck and I've been there since 1970 and I maintain, being a Canuck fan is one of the most difficult things I've endured in my life.

Maybe this year.

Hope Louie gets healthy and back soon but I have to say I'm impressed as hell with LaBarbera so far. Hell, he would'a had a shut-out his first game if that douch-bag Edler hadn't fallen on him.

FA

It's not that none were fit to wear the 'C', they just wanted to placate Louie.

As far as Sundin goes, for me, the jury is still out. I wasn't overly excited about tossing that kind of coin at a guy who's in the twilight of his career and didn't help Toronto win a cup. He could end up being another 'Messier' fu#k-up. However, with Trevor now history there is a serious lack of veteran mentor-ship and if he serves to light up the rest of the Sweds' then that could be huge.

My biggest argument against Swed's, as far as the Canucks history goes (Gradin, Sundstrom, Naslund, Sedin's etc.) is that though they are generally exceptionally skilled skaters and are puck-smart, they usually got-no-balls!

(That said, did you see Olin 'take one on the chin for the team' in Edmonton the other night? Holy Sh#t! He hit the deck like a sack of hammers... what the hell was he thinkin? Here's my chin buddy - put one right here! Come-on... I dare ya... BOOM!)

I fly two Nuck flags on my work truck and I've been there since 1970 and I maintain, being a Canuck fan is one of the most difficult things I've endured in my life.

Maybe this year.

Hope Louie gets healthy and back soon but I have to say I'm impressed as hell with LaBarbera so far. Hell, he would'a had a shut-out his first game if that douch-bag Edler hadn't fallen on him.

quote:It's not that none were fit to wear the 'C', they just wanted to placate Louie

ok , just for the sake of argument, who do you think would have been worthy of the C if Louie didn't get it? It isn't like the team was packed with superstars, I think they gave the C to thier best player, now Sundin brings in 12 years of experience of being an NHL captain. For the sake of officiating I hope Vancouver (Luongo) gives him the C. That is the reason why the NHL has banned goalies from wearing a C. I just don't think Vancouver had many other options. Sundin is probly going to do well in Vancouver, and it was nice of him to take the pay cut in order for Vancouver to try to bring in someone else too. He could of made the Canucks use up all of their cap room.

On a side note Montreal pounded Toronto last night and has now won 7 or thier last 8. Sundin would have looked better in a Habs jersey!!
Take only what you need.

quote:It's not that none were fit to wear the 'C', they just wanted to placate Louie

ok , just for the sake of argument, who do you think would have been worthy of the C if Louie didn't get it? It isn't like the team was packed with superstars, I think they gave the C to thier best player, now Sundin brings in 12 years of experience of being an NHL captain. For the sake of officiating I hope Vancouver (Luongo) gives him the C. That is the reason why the NHL has banned goalies from wearing a C. I just don't think Vancouver had many other options. Sundin is probly going to do well in Vancouver, and it was nice of him to take the pay cut in order for Vancouver to try to bring in someone else too. He could of made the Canucks use up all of their cap room.

On a side note Montreal pounded Toronto last night and has now won 7 or thier last 8. Sundin would have looked better in a Habs jersey!!
Take only what you need.

FA,

You are right about them not having much (Captain material) to choose from, especially since Trev retired. Nazzy was NOT Captain material in my view (not 'Greasy' enough) and they should have returned the 'C' to Trev when he came back.

If having Louie as the 'C' helps keep him around a little longer then good. We will never win a cup without a top-shelf goalie.

I don't see Sundin in the same light as you. He's an old 'Leaf' for crying out loud. Toronto sucks! Even more-so than the Habs!

Go Nucks!

Back