Newbie question for buying my first real boat - motor and outdrive

NO
they are made because they last IF you replace parts as part of a maintenance program . I have NEVER had a inboard blow up!!! (one only has to look at some of all the old **** thats out there from the 70s and 80s still going 350 chev has been and always will be one of the most reliable engine going......) tell me of a 250 or 300 outboard thats that old still going..... not like these new generation yammys at 600 hours I know of many that have gakked cha ching another 30 grand please....
Thing is IF you get a inboard take of manifolds, starter, alternator and replace right away get the starter and alternator redone and have as a spare GREASE everything all nuts and bolts and replace with SS you will be thankfull you did. after 5 years THROW away the manifold even if you think they are ok dont ....
I went back to a inboard but with the new LS8 5.3 matched with the new duel prop my boat weighing in at over 8000 lbs cruises at 3900 rpm doing 25 kts and burning 10 gallons an hour. best thing it comes with a 5 year warranty if anything goes wrong including a belt its replaced cant beat that.....
its like anything if you ride it hard and put away wet it will catch up you in the long run .
you have to take care OF any engine you have plain and simple

Wolf

Iv'e actually got inboards now - twin diesels mounted about 2/3 the way back from the bow. a ton of pig iron slightly below the water line. They are either side of the bilge so don't get wet & the bilge has a deep channel/keel for any water to get routed to. I will probably re-power & thought of O/B's but at low speed the diesels use 1-2 liters/hour versus gallons for the O/B's. At planing speed things get closer as the O/B has way less drag. Took me 30 years & 3 boats to learn the hard way; my goal is to help others learn from my mistakes. Once you fish with straight shafts you'll probably never go back to O/B's. 550 ft/lb torque at 1800 rpm must be equal to about 25 SBC's - ha ha

If the OP was going to be an "inside guy" I'd say fine with a gasser. He states he wants to be an "outside guy". I took the 350 gasser out of the Sea Ray, put a 250 yammy on the back & ran at 50mph for as long as I wanted to pay the fuel bill. So, running at 10-11 GPH how much of that stroked 350 HP is usable w/o blowing it up - 125 - 150HP? On my 350 anything over 4K RPM caused the temp gauge to go one way & the oil pressure gauge to go the other way. Climb a steep following sea? Overheat so fast you can't power down fast enough to stop a boil-over. I can run my diesels at 200-400 RPM under WOT all day long & live with 3-4K hours engine life.

I totally agree with the cost merits of the gasser - couldn't give me one for offshore use.

Why are you guys starting an inboard vs outboard page again. Give it a rest. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The guy is asking about an inboard out drive. Maybe I should ask if you guys have ever owned an inboard. God this forum sometimes.

Last edited:
I guess the question is would you rather have no boat or a sterndrive when it comes to better nice to dollar ratio. No matter what boat when it comes to bilge pumps I like to concentrate volume or height. Styrofoam, narrower channel so easy to keep bilge empty. Seen some where you would need 6 gallons for a float switch to turn on.
Doing an engine, exhaust manifolds, risers etc on a stern drive can be spread out over years and little bit every year compared to quite often outboard, it's often everything right now right?

I have never run a sterndrive. Outboards, ski boat is an inboard nice and simple. Big boat for me something like a 4BT inboard I guess, 6BT? You know gas engine the only thing I don't like more than giving up the dance floor for an engine is bilge blowers, usually loud, just saying .. blow how many minutes before start? Do we always do that. Just never seen a decent fan. And don't wanna get blown up lol!

NO wild bill its not its called preventive maintenance IF you wait for **** to go then it a real pain in the arse , If you replace things before it prime it will last a very long time.
if you dont like the sound of a fan lft the dog house check the oil and water level etc take a smell..... hmm no gas start it up maybe re read what i wrote been running inboards close to 30 years .YES ive had a few headaches but we all have with a engine and boats ... thats why they are called "HER" we are destined for troubles LOL LOL

i am like Wolf, always opened the doghouse, i also ran inboards for alot of years, decided to try the pod and a outboard like the cool kids, now i have a cummins 4bt diesel inboard, i will not go back to a outboard

IMG_0937.JPG
NO wild bill its not its called preventive maintenance IF you wait for **** to go then it a real pain in the arse , If you replace things before it prime it will last a very long time.
if you dont like the sound of a fan lft the dog house check the oil and water level etc take a smell..... hmm no gas start it up maybe re read what i wrote been running inboards close to 30 years .YES ive had a few headaches but we all have with a engine and boats ... thats why they are called "HER" we are destined for troubles LOL LOL

That's what I'm trying to say, preventive maintenance, replace before it fails. Same thing I open my doghouse, just can't stand squealing fans!

Couldn't help posting a pic, such a pretty, amazing engine. 454, L29 heads, edelbrock intake, solid crane cam, a little over 450 hp!

Last edited:
Nice light boat; good app for a gasser; gotta sound WAY better than it looks!! Single carb is probably limiting your power. Back in the day (60's) you'd need dual quads to get over 400 hp as the carbs were smaller.

I'm planning to buy what I consider my first real boat before Spring 2018. The more I search the more questions I have. I'm trying to get as educated as I can before pulling the trigger. It will be used for fishing and overnight discovery on the West coast of Vancouver Island. My target is a 20-22 ft hardtop or fully enclosed with cuddy, head, heater, stove etc. Due to budget (under $15K all in...yeah right) it's most likely going to be an 80's or 90's boat with an inboard. Examples: Bayliner Trophy, Campion Victoria, Seaswirl Sable.

My questions are around the motor and outdrive.
1. Will a 3.0 or 4.3 Litre motor be enough power for a 22 ft boat on West Coast or is more power needed?
2. What is the preferred out drive? Single prop or dual counter-rotating.

Thanks in advance.
here i hope this helps . I have a 1999 2052 trophy with a 4.3 two barrel carb 19o hp. with a gen two alpha leg single prop 19p WOT is 41 mph cruise speed 27 mph dry weight is 3400 LBS. plus 65 gal in fuel plus 3 to 4 people . A day of fishing starts at Esquimalt anglers head out to the trap shack spend 6 to 8 hours on the 9.9 kicker and head back to Esquimalt anglers at 27 to 30 mph. fuel cost $ 31 and change take boat home flush wash and put to bed . No need for me to go back to a four stroke out board it will cost me more to run and repair. if you have a inboard stern drive look after it ,it will last a long long time other then your manifolds very 3 years 1999 and i still have 173 to 177 psi a 2052 is 21 feet

And here I'm still running 20 year old 1997 Yami carbed 2 strokes. Just keeping them going to make sure I get my monies worth! lol

No, worst case, lots of car motor boats engines can be replaced with something out of a wrecker car and function just fine.

Like the engine when I bought my ski boat more similar to a pickup truck and that's the way it was factory and it was still amazing.
And like aw crap said you price in doing manifolds every three years.

Last edited:
One thing I have to say Rollie is you get it why switch out to a brand new 4 stroke at 30 grand, especially when it seems they are only good for a few years . Also you have one on hand and at the ready....
I see a few who either run out on there kicker or just one main as the other is pooched,
like anything if you look after your power it will look after you...

Guys I want to thank you all again for all the information. I just pulled the trigger on an old, but completely rebuilt Glasply with upgraded power Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi and Duo Prop. No going back now.

i hope you got fuel injection rather than a carberator. you say it is updated...

Back