Newbie Introduction and Question time....

hbpaints

Crew Member
Good Morning Everyone !

So I've been contemplating writing on here as I feel I am so far behind the masses on this "ocean fishing" thing and of course, it's human nature to be scared of announcing your the "one that doesn't know..."

I must commend one member, ExFlyGuy, on his assistance in getting me started and answering many questions... And to everyone else who has helped me out so far.

From that I realized there is so much experience on this forum It would be a shame not to ask the "new guy" questions....

So in saying all that... a bit about myself... Moved here from the interior in January 2018, Living in Lake Cowichan. Been boating all my life but on fresh water, lakes, etc... Biggest boat I've driven with any regularity has been a 20ft StarCraft. I have a very keen 5yr old who is loving living near the ocean, a wife who has ocean experience as a kid growing up, and I've been on several charters out of Tofino and Kitimat
(Which hooked me on ocean fishing)

Got my hands on a 28ft Bayliner Victoria with a trailer for an awesome price, boat was checked out and given a clean bill of heath and is seaworthy, single 350 Chev inboard, but will be putting a kicker on it before I go anywhere, Boat has all the bells and whistles for a 1978 model, plus came with all the required electronics, downriggers, etc...

I have held my boaters license since they became mandatory, so I have that requirement met, I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, but I think I need my Marine VHF, and I have zero experience using a chartplotter... Which I do have on the boat, one is an Interphase ChartMaster V6 and the backup is a Standard Horizon 180CP. (Definitely need to learn this)

I plan on staying local to the Crofton area, Cowichan Bay, etc... Learning the ropes and learning my boat. Dropping a crab or prawn trap and maybe some jigging, etc... Simple stuff to learn...

As I have no experience taking a boat of that size out on the ocean, I foresee myself signing up with the local power and sail squadron to get educated...

Any tips and tricks are welcomed... I love to learn but you can't find it all on the internet... Learning by doing is how I work best...

Again... Thanks for the 5 minutes to say hello and I wish everyone the best of luck this season... Never know... Maybe see you out on the water...

Rob...

PS - My 5 yr old wants me to ask two questions... (1) Is there any Squid Fishing around here? and (2) are there ever any smelt runs around that he can throw a net in off a beach?
(PS - He's done amazing with his crab trap off the gov wharf in Port Renfrew... lol)

Welcome to the forum.... best advise I can give is learn the tides.... sounds like your on the right path with boating and safety etc

Welcome to the coast and congrats. on your new boat. The ocean is a mean ***** and if you spend enough time, it will eventually try to kill you. On a boat the size of yours, make sure to check and re-bed or replace your through hulls periodically. Check, service and replace the sea cocks (valves for the through hulls). The other water entry points that can sink your boat are motor and drive related including anything related to cooling using salt water and the big sea water seal for the inboard-outboard drive. Motors are critical for safety, Keep them well serviced and replace them when they get old and unreliable. Get a larger new quality remote kicker. If you lose all power make sure you have a good anchor system ready to keep you off the rocks. In the wind and current a paddle is useless for a boat that size.

Down the south end of the island mid summer/early fall the fog gets thick and is frequent. Not sure what the fog is like where you are but if it were me I would get radar for a boat that size if it does not already have it. Practice with it in clear weather and the same with your chart plotter navigation. Given your ham experience when it comes to marine electronics it won’t be long at all till the rest of us are asking you for advice. I did the ROC-M course and exam through the Power Squadron and it was very useful including the practical where they give you a situation and observe you making the call. In particular they want to know if you know the difference between when to make a Mayday call, a Pan Pan Pan call or a Securite call.

Finally get two copies of a pocket size book called “The Boater’s Pocket Reference” by Thomas McEwen. All 750 plus water resistant pages of it and put one on the boat and one on the back of your home toilet for frequent reading. It is amazing how much knowledge there is in this book. When I got mine a number of years back it was $14.95. It covers, terminology, design, construction/materials, Regulations, US/Canada, Navigation aids, Navigation rules Intl/US/Canada, Seamanship: maneuvering, docking, anchoring, piloting and navigation, charts, position plotting, GPS, chartplotters, , radar, sonar, knots, weather, engines, propellers, electrical, Communications: VHF, SSB, Satellite, Trailering, Conversion tables and a whole lot more.

PS - My 5 yr old wants me to ask two questions... (1) Is there any Squid Fishing around here?

Used to catch opal squid by the bucket load in Cowichan Bay in the 80's at certain times of the year. Made delicious calamari and great bait. Not sure if that fishery still exists, best bet would be to try Bucky's or one of the local shops for intel.

Welcome.
There is some crabbing and prawns in that Crofton, Chemainus area. Maybe some shrimp at Smith Bay?
I talked to a commercial crabber at Sidney last month and he said they crab all the way up there sometimes, lots of competition and the resource is dwindling.
Some fish at Tent Island in the winter. Bold bluff used to be good...
Only 11 miles or so to Porlier Pass to the outside, for April/May/June. A few more to Thrasher Rock, different route thru Gabriola Pass.
A few guys/family's will come over in the early morning to fish the Fraser sockeye run in late August,
When you go thru the passes; Go straight thru the middle, near to the current change. The GPS will help a lot here.

Back