New yamaha motor

one problem with being supercharged is I had one on a jet ski and they said to only burn high octane fuel no low stuff, or it will take out the supercharger and you know that will be expensive

merc verados are supercharged, dont hear anything bad about them. These guys designing them arn't stupid, they know what people look for in outboards.

"the 275 tuned to burn premium, while the less powerful Verados burn the cheap stuff, 87 octane."

Superchargers are a mechanical method of increasing the displacement of an engine without actually changing anything but the volume of air to the combustion chamber, that said this gives the motor a healthy boost of horsepower. The more you get this way the shorter the engine life starts rearing it's ugly head. The manufacturers have been able to play with this factor with the use of stronger materials and the knowledge that more engines are destroyed through lack of use than overuse.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Re the Verado - been doing some research on new motors and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Verado burns regular, 87 octane fuel. That's a big plus for me.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I know one guy who's Verado blew up on him, 3 years old and never ran right since new.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

the 2nd generation verados, so ive heard, have been more-less trouble free, and mechanically what you would expect from any engine these days.
The FIRST generation had alot of troubles in the lower ends and powerheads.. but like i said the late 1st gen and this 2nd gen are suppose to be like they should have always

The more HP you squeeze from the same size (cc"s) block, the shorter the engine's life will be. The old saying is true..well there are 2 of them..if you want to play you have to pay...no replacement for displacement. Unfortunately with outboards there is only so big you can go and still hang it or them off the transom. I think they have reached that size now and are now forced to add bolt on power to existing engines. Reliability and longevity will suffer...but if your pockets are deep...you won't care.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I'd like to see one with 1500 hours on it. It's just like any car with a supercharger, how many Grand Nationals, or those Toyota Sienna or whatever minivans that were supercharged do you see driving around that didn't have something go boom at say, 100K?

www.swiftsurebank.com

i see what you mean, i never thought about it like that. interesting stuff.. i wonder what mercury will do when in a the next 2 or 3 years some engines get up into those hours and if they all start to blow

Never, never buy a Merc......the most useless engine you will ever have the sad displeasure of owning. I swore to the Western Canada Merc rep back in the 90's when I had a problem after 100 hours on my new engine that they would not cover under warranty because I was a commercial operator.........never again, and I will tell everyone I know. His comment, "we don't care, we own the west coast market. Yamaha and Suzuki can't touch us". I hope he eats his stupid comments all the way to unemployment. Stay away from those pile of crap engines.

I echo Lastchance, the more you push through the same displacement, the less life it will have.

Searun

quote:Originally posted by searun

Never, never buy a Merc......the most useless engine you will ever have the sad displeasure of owning. ..... Stay away from those pile of crap engines.

Searun

So I guess you wouldn't recommend choosing a new Optimax for a new boat?

Most of the guys I know with Opti's like them. I'd consider one on a new boat, PROVIDED THERE WAS A DEALERSHIP I COULD TRUST. It's your dealer that really determines your warranty service, the factory warranty, is really worth almost nothing if your dealer won't play ball with you.

But Profisher is right, naturally aspirated outboards have reached a pinnacle in power to weight ratio, the 300HP Suzuki is the best power to weigh ratio out there.

The Yam F225 is currently the benchmark in V-6 Outboards in terms of reliability (Corrosion issues in the exhuast are about all I have heard), and I know guys with mucho hours on them.

The Yam 300/350 V8 is, in my opinion, an overweight turd. I know two guys with them, one of them has gone "boom" in the first 30 hours. You also loose the lightweight zippy revvy power that makes outboards so ***y. But most of the guys who went from triples to twin F350/300's noticed a DROP in power and economy, from what I can read on several offshore fishing forums. I just don't think they have those ones (v8 outboards) dialed in yet.

Now if someone put E-Tec on the old Evinrude V-8 Two Stroke, updated the manufacturing process to make it a bit more robust, THAT would be a power plant to contend with. Provided it didn't go "boom".

To get back on topic, ASSUMING they can get these things to be somewhat problem free for 1500 hours at no more then 600 pounds, which is the magic number in my books on an outboard, they may have something here. Considering that Yamaha USUALLY puts out good equipment, I'm still interested in seeing them..

www.swiftsurebank.com

Back