new yamaha line up

nedarb2

(as seen on another forum)

Pretty impressive all new engines. Yamaha has a new V6 4-stroke 225-250-300 that is lighter then the current models F225-F250 and is better on fuel. These 4.2ltr engines weight in at 558lbs.

New Command Link color LCD multi engine/boat systems display.

New Mid range F70 model. 260lbs. That is significantly lighter then any current 2-stroke or 4-stroke in that HP range.

New security system that will lock up the engines ECM(theft deterrent) Looks like its similar to the same setup the current Yamaha wave runners use.

New 4-stroke Vmax 20"engines(200-225-250) that are lighter then the current HPDI 2-strokes, burn less fuel and get this......they are faster than the 2-stroke! Also all new gearcases.

Yamaha also is introducing a new prop hub system that eliminate the dreaded shift clunk.

New push button engine starting.(New "key"Panel)

RE-introducing the previous F250 mechanical throttle and shift engine. Price point engine(repowers or new)

More horsepower, lighter block equals worse heat dissipation and shortened engine life expectancy. The engines that should last the longest will always be the one with the least horsepower/displacement in the same engine series. The old 150 2 stroke is the same block as the 200..the 150 should last longer.

im excited to see this push buttton start and lcd screen for engine management.. price is probably through the roof though!

I've been hearing about these new motors for a while now but can't find any hard info online. Has something been published or are we still waiting for the 'official' intro?

still waiting apparently this weekend they will be releasing them officially to the press

Just did a point by point spec sheet comparison between the 'old' and 'new' motors and it seems to me that Yamaha might have a problem with old stock unless there is a big price differential. The new ones seem pretty impressive (on paper anyway) so anybody looking for a new 225-300hp unit will have an interesting choice to make.

("im excited to see this push buttton start")
I had one on a 1958 johnson 25 electric start! What is the big deal?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

That is what I thought Gunsmith...this reminds me of the fashion industry...nothing new to bring on the market so they go back in time and bring back old school again. Whats next.. push button gear shift. Wow...I think see grandpa pushing buttons in his old 50's Chrysler now.

How about developing and introducing a built in plug and play auto pilot follower to allow easy and direct hook up to true pilots on the market. So the unreliable linear followers aren't needed. How about developing the ability to hook up water lines to run engine heated water up to a bus type heater for cabin heat? A built in jack plate option? There are a few things a manufacturer could do to truly set their product apart from the rest. Just have to ask the guys who use them...what would you like to see...then do it!

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

("im excited to see this push buttton start")
I had one on a 1958 johnson 25 electric start! What is the big deal?:D

IMG_1445.jpg
becasue its cool [8D] [:p]

I can see you guys are seriously underwhelmed! Not quite sure what you were expecting.

I kinda liked the weight loss, bore size increase, better fuel efficiency, increased alternator output, better cooling, noise reduction etc, etc. Sounds like good stuff to me.

Now, if they would release some availability and pricing info I'd be happy.

Yes clipper that is the stuff that gets my juices going! I also like the icon syst from BRP now this is technology, single lever control up to five engines, syncronizing, rpm change of 10% of actual rpm,etc.
This is what excites an old goat like me. [8D][8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

My thoughts were more running to the spatter-welded cylinder walls. If they're harder what's the give point?.. rings? If they're harder and thinner, will they peel? score the piston skirts?

And, if 4000 is cruise, 6500 max rpm, and extended use being hole-shot, cruise, extended trolling, hole-shot... would often mean carbon and high humidity creating lots of acid, yet they recommend a mineral-base oil as the cranking-oil... Again those super-thin spatter-welded cylinder walls keep me thinking.

Just my ignorance showing through... Cheers!

Are they going to forged pistons? Every major failure with the bigger Yami's for me has been piston related, (cracks, broken ring/piston) then requiring a rebuild. My rebuilt spare engine now has new Wisco forged pistons/rings/wrist pins. I hope to now get the full life of the engine when it comes time to swap it back onto the boat.

quote:Originally posted by cliffjumper

My thoughts were more running to the spatter-welded cylinder walls. If they're harder what's the give point?.. rings? If they're harder and thinner, will they peel? score the piston skirts?

I had a 1987 Kawasaki dirtbike that had the same (similar?) technology for the cylinders. It was called 'Nikasil' coating back then, as I recall and it worked extremely well. Very tough and very reliable. The only issue was that you could not rebore the cylinders. If you needed to go oversize you needed to do press in liners.

I think the technological sophistication has probably improved a bunch since then and I would not hesitate for a moment to buy a new engine that used this method for the cylinders.

I would personally stay away from any engine that won't allow a cylinder re-bore. Sounds like a possible expensive throw away if something goes bad shortly after the warranty expires.

Back