New trailer suggestions

Calais 1900

After a small marshmallow fire in my trailers right wheel on Thursday morning, and the beardings welding themselves to my spindel along with all the other million headaches with this trailer, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a new trailer. Thinking roadrunner, maybe tuff trailers.

Like to hear some opinions on trailer brands and what trailer the best bang for your buck?

I too am thinking of a new trailer and have been researching for the last 2 months. If money is no object buy a tuff trailer aluminum I beam, vault oil bearing system and kodiak disk breaks . Buy a whole hub assembly just in case. There 5 year warranty and touchless bearings. If money is an object buy roadrunner, galvanized with grease hubs and kodiak system. I still in limbo on what to do as I'm renpowering from an I/0 to twin 150s and it's a big project but if I was just buying a trailer with no other costs I would buy the tuff trailer hands down.

I agree ccb if it helps at all I made the same choice between roadrunner and tuff a couple of months ago for my de went with the roadrunner cause the price was 25 percent less . So far no regrets maybe my opinion will change in a few years

Awesome, thanks for the relpy's; glad to see im on the right path. Really like the idea of having a aluminum trailer, guess it really depends if it falls in the budget.

CCB good luck with your project. If you haven't already had your pod fabricated and installed I highly recommend jenkins marine, they did a really nice job on my pod.

You can get the road runner with vault oil bearing but it's a huge cost and then it makes total sense to just buy the Tuff trailer as its aluminum and all stainless u bolts and stuff. Road runner is a great trailer too but to really see the huge difference in price it's what I explained in my first post as it's almost double the price on the 2 I listed above .

Thanks Calais , my boats almost done just some finishing touches . It looks sick . I'm picking up on Tuesday then back over here to fit motors and gauges and a few other goodies .

Highly suggest you spend a bit more and get a better trailer than a road runner. I think sherwoods prices on tuff trailers weren't that much more and you get a way better built trailer. The amount of repairs I've had to do after less than a year of owning a new road runner is ridiculous.

as I just converted to electric over hydraulic from surge last year. I would recommend that you get the trailer with the features you want initially rather than retrofit them later. It will be more cost effective over the long run.

I bought a roadrunner from Alpine last summer and am very happy. Approx $5K inc taxes, dual axel, disc brakes and combo of rollers and bunks. They set it up for my arima and transferred my boat over. I got $1K for my old trailer so the final cost was approx. $4K. it tows great and I launch my boat at least 2x / wk so it has had a lot of use in its first year. For the price of an aluminum (which has its own faults) I could almost buy 2 galvanized trailers or get a new one in 5 years. I figure in 5 years ill sell my trailer for $2-3K, add another $2-3K and continue on with new trailers with no hassles.
Arima1.jpg

Another thing to look for in a trailer is the wiring. Stateside, I have an Ez-Loader trailer that came with my Hewescraft. The wiring on this is all connected via cheaply crimped connections that were not heat-shrink coated to prevent corrosion. I had to rewire the whole trailer after two years with proper connectors (and soldering) that could withstand the saltwater.

Some trailers are specifically designed and advertised for saltwater. If I was in the market for a new trailer I'd start with those, or be prepared to rewire it before first use. Not fun driving in the dark with no lights.

GL,

Barry

if you are on the mainland I would definitely consider a roadrunner, bought mine new in 2006 and it's been great. 3000lb 1/2 bunk 1/2 rollers, just replacing rollers now, brakes are easy to replace, redid mine last year (1st time) and you can buy your parts direct from Mike at roadrunner at a good price.

I have owned a bunch of trailer road runners are not the best but they do have very good customer service always willing to help. I have found easy loader with oil bath hubs to be a fantastic trailer. If you really want to spend money it's hard to beat a gateway trailer but they are a few hundred lbs heavier then the easy loader. I have never tried the tuff or a highliner but I have heard good things about both of them.

I bought a roadrunner from Alpine last summer and am very happy. Approx $5K inc taxes, dual axel, disc brakes and combo of rollers and bunks. They set it up for my arima and transferred my boat over. I got $1K for my old trailer so the final cost was approx. $4K. it tows great and I launch my boat at least 2x / wk so it has had a lot of use in its first year. For the price of an aluminum (which has its own faults) I could almost buy 2 galvanized trailers or get a new one in 5 years. I figure in 5 years ill sell my trailer for $2-3K, add another $2-3K and continue on with new trailers with no hassles.
View attachment 32533
I find it takes a lot of work to properly adjust the trailer after I get it so I tend to stick with the same trailer for longer.

On your trailer you should shorten up your safety chain from winch stand to bow eye so it just fits no extra links. Any extra slack in that chain just means the boat will have more momentum when the chain comes tight and it is more likely to break the chain just when you need it..

I added an extra strap to tie the bow down and as Geno said go electric over hydraulic for the brakes, especially if your in and out of the hills. I go through pads and bearings just about every trip because they get way too hot..

Back