New to the Island - Looking for a spot to take my 5yr old and a crab pot?

hbpaints

Crew Member
Brand new to the Island... Don't have my boat down here yet but my 5yr old is wanting to go crabbing? Coming from the cariboo he is obsessed with the ocean now... lol

Is there anywhere around the Duncan area a fellow can throw out a trap from a wharf or dock? Even within an hour drive or so...

Thanks in advance...

Rob.

I believe there is a dock in nanaimo that people crab from and also one in sidney not sure the names as I'm from victoria

I would try the Maple Bay yaucht club, try to get out to the furthest dock drop it for 30 mins or so. Put a fatty pork chop in for bait, you'll be amazed

Thanks guys for all the tips... It will be nice just to get him out there, he's chomping at the bit to get out and do something...

I'll be headed out this weekend for sure...

Take him down to pretty much any beach at low tide - start flipping rocks over looking for the tiny shore crab. Keeps little kids busy for quite a while. Or try catching bullheads off the dock - there is a gov't wharf down at Maple Bay. That might be more exciting for him. Have fun!

you can catch crab off the floats at the boat launch beside the ferry terminal in crofton

you can catch crab off the floats at the boat launch beside the ferry terminal in crofton

Good spot to try. I would use a fish carcass if you have any, or chicken carcass if you haven’t got anything else for bait. Kids have a blast with crabs. Great way to get them interested and involved in fishing. Great to see a young fisherman starting his career.

Oly

If there are seals around, as there often are around dock areas you might not want to use fish carcasses for bait the as the seals might steal them. They leave chicken or turkey carcasses alone. Turkey necks are not expensive and you can use them for bait, use them raw and cut slits into them through the outside membrane first.

Duke Point ferry terminal out on the flats at a low tide is a fun way probably do it out front of most larger river estuaries on a low tide. When we were kids we would walk out on the flats as the tide dropped, look for discolored sand patches and use a rake or a stick and move sand and claws pop out. Dungies will bury themselves when the tide drops and wait for it to come back up again. Some days were very good other days may only get a couple. Just another fun way to do it, real hunt for them :) You may want to check regs you used to be able to do it.

Bare is the rd that comes to mind.build a hand pump to remove sand gravel that alows sypon of tide into the hole that remains in the beach.For goast shimp and sqwat shrimp ,clams ,understand you must reach into the well of murky water to find your prize. The eals can and will crawl up your loose fitting layers of cloathing and rain gear .

Back