new mooching rod?

I love my Technium but if you don't want a cork handle the new Amundson Savy Sumo's are really nice rods. They have what looks like carbon fiber in the butt which looks like it would last forever.
Had my medium weight blow up after 4 trips , on a sockeye, can you believe it? They refuse to warranty it instead give me a cheap Captain Savy rod or wait until next year May for another Sumo. I want to support Canadian companies but never ever again will I buy Amundson, horrible service

I use both Shimano Convergence and Technium rods. I like both. I've been using Convergence since the mid 90's and have yet to have one blow up on me or break while fighting a fish. I bought the Technium for my lady, but I've used it and quite like it. Will upgrade all my rods to Technium's over the winter. Great rod for $199.00. Convergence go for $109.00 just about everywhere I see them. Great rod for the money.

I might add that I use Islander MR3's on my rods, and if the drag is set properly, it's less stress on the rods. Unlike Scott Craven, if a fish hits and doesn't come off the clip, I drop the cannon ball to release from the clip. Quick and efficient. Then I bring up the cannonball while fighting my fish.

Had my medium weight blow up after 4 trips , on a sockeye, can you believe it? They refuse to warranty it instead give me a cheap Captain Savy rod or wait until next year May for another Sumo. I want to support Canadian companies but never ever again will I buy Amundson, horrible service
Another weird thing I noticed about my Savy Sumo Rods is that they both have different actions. I should have take a photo for reference but when they are down under load trolling one is quite a bit more firm and the bend difference is noticeable. Quality control issue if I had to guess. I’m looking forward to the new release of the Clarus Mooching rod by Shimano.

Another weird thing I noticed about my Savy Sumo Rods is that they both have different actions. I should have take a photo for reference but when they are down under load trolling one is quite a bit more firm and the bend difference is noticeable. Quality control issue if I had to guess. I’m looking forward to the new release of the Clarus Mooching rod by Shimano.

Where will the Clarus fit price wise vs the convergence and technium?

Where will the Clarus fit price wise vs the convergence and technium?
Right almost in the middle. Convergence were $109.99, Clarus $139.99 and Technium $199.99. Shimano rarely replaces a product without making significant improvements so we’ll see. They revamped the Tekota and Torium reels this year and the new ones are unreal.

I agree with you, I will not buy their products either. They did not do any thing for my Tmx 4, bad reel seats, screws to
small. Did not stand behind those reels for me.

Call me old fashion, but I can't handle these new rods with the carbon fibre but sections. I guess I'm a traditionalist. It's got be cork for me on the looks alone. I've got a number of years on a Fenwick HMX and I've been quite happy with it. But I sure like the look for the Xl Titans.

Plus probably a Trump tariff charge on any fishing rod crossing the border that may catch an American bound salmon. LOL

Oly

I had a fenwick explode into 5 pieces just bending the rod a bit to get the downrigger clip on. Bought a trophy XL saltwater series 10’6” and couldn’t be happier. Was on sale at Berry’s for under $100. My other rod is a Diawa DXS 10’6” and has held up great. Nothing beats my 25 year old abu Garcia commodore’s. they still catch fish and have never blown up.(only used for back up or sockeye for four rods)

Have used Convergence and HMX rods. Still loving my Techniums after many years of regular use.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Lamiglas - 10'6" ..... USA XCF1064F I bought 2 off a buddy (limited use ) for a super fair price. He has more money than me and wanted to upgrade to Sage rods :eek:. Love the glass rods ( I paired with TMX5 reels).

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/for-sale-new-lamiglas-xcf-106f-4f.629715/

I don't much like my black Convergence rods but my older brown ones are a pretty decent rod ( Thanks Jim) . My even older cheap super glass Diawa Samurai ssg90 10' 6 rods I really like.
https://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/Fishing-gear_29576803
The ssg76 noodle rod is great for running no flasher for coho but has managed some decent size chinook as well. I have had shops laugh at me when I have insisted to have eyes replaced on the Samurai's but I really like them.
I cherish my classic Horton custom made noodle moocher ( custom made for Ted Peck) - thanks to Carl for that one!
All my rods have cork - traditional and I love it.

Last edited:
I’ve been running GL2’s for quite awhile and they’re awesome (not under $200 though). I needed 3 more rods so I bought a shimano technium ($200), a fenwick HMX ($110), and a cabelas brand rod ($90 don’t have the model handy). I thought I’d try all 3 and see how they stacked up vs the GL2.

The technium is a stiff rod - harder to see what’s going on while fishing, the tip doesn’t telegraph near as much info as the other 3 rods. It is very durable though.

The HMX telegraphed slightly better than the technium, and was somewhat softer on fish, however the cork and reel seat spun on it on the 3rd day out. It seemed solid enough, not as heavy as the technium but it did break after 3 days..

The cabelas rod surprised the hell out of me. It was the closest to the GL2 of the 3 rods. Soft tip that telegraphed well and still felt like it had enough power on a decent spring. It’s lighter than the technium, but if you’re running a decent reel it’s enough rod for 40lb test. Plus it’s $90.

Hope that helps - the next time I’m on my boat I’ll grab the model number of the cabelas rod. However I’m sure if you look in the store you’ll figure it out pretty quick.

Cheers,

Dave

Back