new mooching rod?

The one thing about the HMX Fenwick is almost every year a different model or version..some are good some not so good... when they find a good version, sure enough ..poof they change it ..thus the warranty they have..:eek:. not saying that the version you have is not a good one... I have friends that have had great success with them..

Last edited:
Shimano Technium's are under $200, good rod, great actions, virtually indestructible, that's why many fishing guides use them. I have 3 and love them.
I love my Technium but if you don't want a cork handle the new Amundson Savy Sumo's are really nice rods. They have what looks like carbon fiber in the butt which looks like it would last forever.

I love my Technium but if you don't want a cork handle the new Amundson Savy Sumo's are really nice rods. They have what looks like carbon fiber in the butt which looks like it would last forever.

+1. I have my eye on a matching set of Sumos and/or Savvy Captains. Hard to beat the value IMO and

I use a set of Okuma Celilo 10'6 medium to heavy Mooching rods and they hold up nicely when under tension and pulling to release the clip, I have never felt like they are going to bust on me.

+1. I have my eye on a matching set of Sumos and/or Savvy Captains. Hard to beat the value IMO and
The Savy Captains are an excellent value but they are tanks when you are used to fishing a Technium. I can't see them EVER breaking...I have a Savy Sumo as my spare rod but I found myself using it more and more last year just because of the feel.

I have a set of Fenwick HMX's that are probably 8 years old and have been excellent. Two summers ago I bought a couple of Shimano Convergence as back up rods to the Fenwicks . I tried one on my center rod one afternoon and the other still has its plastic on it! Yeah....just that bad IMO...lol. I haven't got around to selling them but intend to in the spring when I'm back on the coast. I did buy two Techniums in the middle of the summer to give them a shot. They are mediums which worked fine for the fish they brought in but I'll probably get medium heavies in the the spring instead. I plan on getting the cork redone on the Fenwicks and honestly might just put them back into to service....:) But I do agree with others about the new Fenwicks. I haven't blown one up but they definitely don't feel at all like my older ones.

I noticed that daiwa has 10’6 downrigger rods anyone tried these?

I have one DXS. It's got a nice handle with a x pattern. Nice flex and sensitive tip. I like it a lot for a little over $100, but if you're prepared to go to close $200, get the Shimano Technium!

If they go back on for $149 this Boxing Day, I'll be grabbing a couple myself.

This type of thread comes up on the board every so often.

Shimano Technium is the only way to fly under $200. the Rapala Moocher a good rod too.

Shimano Convergences are crap and with each passing generation they are made worse than the last generation. Legitimately they are a $50 rod. I know a local charter firm who blows these rods up often....doing things right.

Trophy Titans are good rods.
I have several years on a set of 8 Trophy Titans but in my opinion they are not as industrial as the Shimano Techniums. The action though is what I am sold on with the Titans.

From what I have seen among other brands.....stay away.

I take care of my stuff....so I have to say listen to the advice of those who know.

I was in Steveston Marine and Hardware just recently and I checked out what was there....lots of junk. I shop PNT frequently. Go with what the pros use. Use what the pros use.
I'm a Titan man. FM is right you can't beat the action on them. Plus they look nice with my blue MR3s. The guys at PA gave me an unbelievable price on them so I couldn't say no.

i emailed diawa about their downrigger rods but they all have the trigger grip, for conventional reels otherwise they looked good
seems like i may need to wait til boxing day and get something on sale

I noticed that daiwa has 10’6 downrigger rods anyone tried these?

I have one DXS. It's got a nice handle with a x pattern. Nice flex and sensitive tip. I like it a lot for a little over $100, but if you're prepared to go to close $200, get the Shimano Technium!

If they go back on for $149 this Boxing Day, I'll be grabbing a couple myself.

i emailed diawa about their downrigger rods but they all have the trigger grip, for conventional reels otherwise they looked good
seems like i may need to wait til boxing day and get something on sale

Mine does not have a trigger grip. Straight handle design.

The Savy Captains are an excellent value but they are tanks when you are used to fishing a Technium. I can't see them EVER breaking...I have a Savy Sumo as my spare rod but I found myself using it more and more last year just because of the feel.

+2. I love my Amundson rods (and reels as well). I have the Amundson Savy's but went with the medium not MH, I find the tip to be very sensitive but sturdy as well. For the quality and value (plus a tremendous warranty), I wouldn't do anything else. I did have one break at the tip when dropping the downrigger, apparently this was an issue with a certain lot. The replacement I got has had no issues since replacement. I also like the rubber butt grip, very sturdy and I also like the rounded butt end.

I had the HMX's and hated them. Broke two of them and their warranty claims were a PITA. Thankfully Cabela's stepped up and replaced them for me. Also, the cork handles got torn up in my rod holders.

I'd suggest a technium. Medium-heavy feels more like a medium rod but with balls. I originally got a medium/heavy & medium HMX but didn't like the MH as it felt a little too burly for my liking. The medium is more fun to play fish on. I'm gonna get another technium in the new year and keep the medium rod on my back up setup. I found the fenwick's cork really gets beat up. I try to keep the rod's metal collar against the edge of the rod holder to limit damage to the cork.

I had some help picking out a rod a reel a few months ago and ended up with the Amundson TMX5 and Technium 10'6 medium rod which I have fished with now 6 times and until today had only caught kelp . As noted until today when a small 4 lb sprint hit my bait and I grabbed the rod when all of the sudden the line started to scream like an August 20 pounder... yup now I've got a good test fighting a seal. We battled for a good 10 mins with rod bent over hard then it popped out of that burgers mouth and I got to see how quickly I can retrieve 200 ft of line. Very impressed as that fish was in the boat before that seal could get another bite on it. The spring had some nice teeth marks and scales missing on the tail. The rod and reel were a good pairing for me so I to will be watching for the Xmas sales.
PS... the other rod landed a scrappy 10 lb spring off clover point today. I may have been outfished but not outplayed

Has anyone tried the new islander rods? They have a carbon fibre butt. Look pretty good. But are they worth the money? I was wondering if they have a lifetime warranty too? But couldn’t find any info on the site

I had a DXS. Got it for a steal. Absolutely loved it. Broke apart against the gunnel on a sounding fish. In the hands of my 89 year old dad. That would never happen in my hands but tuff to say if any and all rods would survive that. I have two older Fenwick HMX. Love those as well and am also using old Daiwa Samurais. I know have two after watching the for sale pages for two years. I'd gamble on another DXS if I could get it for sale. My .02

Just one thing to remember-- the fish dont know what the rod you are using costs. My go-to rods are both Trophy XLs-- one is 9ft and the other 9.6. Tyee Marine .No more broken rods from high-sticking. And less than $90. Same with the reels-- while I have a MR2 and a couple of other high end reels-- the MR2 sits on the shelf looking pretty because even the upgraded paddles are not as comfortable. So-- back to my old GT4000+ reels.... bullet proof to!

Back