New Double Eagle Boat

danthewire

Well I guess the time has come,to upgrade from the 17.5 hardtop to a 185 cuddy or 206 soft top.Its gonna be tough to sell her,30 years of good memories.Anyhow,I was wondering if any of the forum members have either of those boats and could comment good, bad, or whatever,iam wondering about towing,rough water handling,engine sizes,seat configurations,any and all comments would help with the choice.I have found the people on this site to be very well informed and to offer well thought out answers,Thanks to all who can help. DAN

a friend of mine has the 20,6 soft top and loves it . he bought it 2 years ago new but with old power. last year he repowered with 4 stroke yami, not sure of the size , but knowing him it`s big power. he raves about his boat , i agree it`s awesome .he`s out at the banks every weekend all summer. hey dan i still gotta call you in the next month or so about wiring my boat , double eagle as well . love them . scottyboy

Love the double eagles as well the original blue wolf was a 20.5 and in the rougher seas she was great and stable I do miss her but I am liking the new boat as well, since I have been guiding up at the lodge we use the 17.8 double eagles they are a ok boat but a bit bow light for my liking even with my fat butt up front LOL, I personally would like to see the 19 ft myself as there is just a bit more room in them. the ones we use are great but with 3 people in them with cruiser suits a few bags and my tackle box you can harldly move as there isnt a lot of storage.

As for a soft top dont like them for the amount of nice sunny days up there and on the west coast if i want sun ill go to the back of the boat,I personally like the shade, and in the winter like the hard top that keeps the warmth in (from the heater) and when it rains heavy havent seen too many soft tops that dont leak even my new boat up at the lodge leaks all the time but this is just me speaking from MY personal experience all the soft tops have leaked where the hard tops dont.

Good luck on your choice Wolf

this talk about a bigger double eagle has given me 2 foot itis. and i was so happy with my boat. dammmmmmmmit.but i dunno if i would ever find another boat that catches fish like her. scottyboy [:p]

I fished from a 18.5 foot Double Eagle hardtop for 15 years.It handled the rough stuff and the 302 two barrel pushed it to 46 m.p.h. My dad bought the boat new at Richardson Marine for $12,000 including trailer in 1981.In 1996 he sold for $10,500. It was like new,garage kept.Watch for plywood rot if buying used.

HEY DAN I TOO LIKE THIS 206 H/T MODEL LOOKED AT THEM:D FOR A FEW YEARS NOW,WOULD NEED 150-200HP-4STROKE, LOTS OF HEAD- ROOM,GOOD SIZE CUDDY,LOTS OF STORAGE,TANDEM TRL.BRAKES,1/2TON TO 3/4 WILL PULL HER,LOVE THAT DEEP V- D/E HAS, HAD TWO 17,S OVER THE YEARS HEADING TO THE BOAT SHOW AGAIN(55K)OUCH...DJ[^]

Thanks for the replies everyone, just finished talking to Mark at Double Eagle,Looks like the 206 won out,unfourtenatly,the hard top wont fit in the garage,so it will be a soft top for now,with a 200 yamaha.He did say they could put the hardtop on at a later date(new garage)so thats good.If you see a gray haired guy at the vancouver boat show laying on the floor clutching his cheque book that will be me. Scotty let me know about wiring your boat how big is it etc. DAN

Dang, I think that I got here a bit too late, but I have a 185 soft top with a 125 hp outboard and it is an incredible boat. It runs about 32 mph at 4000 rpm and is better than my 22.5 fiberform which I had before, in rough water. I travel as far as Ocean falls from Kitimat and love the v-berth as my bed is ready anytime I want to hit the hay. Two people is all I want on board for a couple of days out on the water but you can fit 3 or 4 if you have to. The roll up canvas right above me used for standing up when around crap in the water will leak a bit if it is raining hard and I am running fast. If drifting for going slow not a drop comes in, and that is after 7 years. Good luck on your new boat you will love it, and there is no plywood to rot on the new ones.

Well we just got back from the boat show,The purchasing agent(wife)nixed the 206 double eagle when she saw the quote.So I bought the 185 instead,150 4 stroke yamaha,plus a few options,41000 taxes in.Apparently not allowed to have a new boat again,oh well,Iam looking forward to trying it out this summer.Thanks for the comments holdeem,its reassuring that the boat will do what I want. DAN

I also bought the 185 a year ago only with the 115 yamaha as i rarely fish with more than one other person.I don't think you will be disapointed its a great boat all around.

AWWW thats too bad there dan but still a good choice guess the wife rules the roost LOL LOL I still love the double eagles they are built for the west coast and are very tough, good for you and enjoy.

Wolf

Thanks Wolf,thats what happens when you marry an accoutants daughter,who bosses around 25 or so electricans,I think if the boat is half as tough as her it will be fine.I still get the last word though, yes dear . I am pumped cant wait to try the boat out. DAN

CONGRATS ON THE NEW BOAT DAN, JUST A WORD OF CAUTION, MY FRIEND HAS A YAMAHA 4 STROKE AND HAD TROUBLE FOULING INJECTORS AND HAD TO PUT DOUBLE RACOR FILTERS TO FIX THE PROBLEM. YOU CAN'T CLEAN THE BUILT IN INJECTOR FILTERS AND THEY ARE EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE. ON THE GOOD SIDE HE GETS GREAT MILAGE, A LOT BETTER THAN I DO AND IT IS VERY QUIET. I THINK YOU WILL LOVE THE 185 AS IT IS SMALL ENOUGH TO PLAY WITH THE BIG WAVES AND BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE IT WHEN YOU HIT ONE WRONG.

Sounds like a few of us have Double Eagle 185s. Purchased mine in late 2006 and is a 2004 with a 150hp Yamaha HPDI and an 8hp Yamaha 4S. Boat has pedistal seats. Been fishing and running around a fair bit this winter and is solid in rough water, comfortable, fast and fuel efficient. Couldn't be happier with the boat.

Thinking of putting Bennett M80 trim tabs on it as I find it falls of a plane around 24 mph and I want to be able to keep it on a plane at slower speeds (when it's rough out and I'm in a heading sea). Anyone one out there using trim tabs on their 185?

Salmon trim tabs wont help too much there more for distrubtating weight the problem like I said earlier in the post they are very bow light either put some more weight forward a fool with the trim on the motor more.

Wolf

I have tried one and two sandbags (50 - 100 lbs) in the bow and trimmed the motor all the way down. Helped get on a plane quicker, helped push the bow into the heading sea, but didn't change my minimal planing speed more than 1-2 mph. The extra weight made it a challenge to winch up on the trailer and my fuel use went up by 30% or so. Not real happy with the results.

Where are you fuel tanks???? what i did with the old boat I had is put a bow tank in the front which gave me a bit more weight it was put in and I think it was a 17 gallon tank (dont quote me)which I plumbed it in and put a fuel gauge on it.seems like you have fooled with it you may just have to live with it like that[V]

Good luck Wolf

Thanks for the suggestions Wolf. The 140 litre fuel tank is in the floor midship towards the stern. I think the boat is bow light and probably a bit stern heavy with the 150, 4 stroke kicker and two batteries. It rides well, I just want to tweak it so I can keep it on a plane at slower speeds.

I talked with SG Power and they mentioned they have installed several Double Eagles with trim tabs. Curious to hear from someone with them one their boat.

Try a 4 blade prop its what they are designed for.. You will get up on plane allot quicker and can stay there at remarkably slower speeds,, you will lose 2-4 mph but the trade off might be worth it.. You will want to go with a 1 to 2 less pitch try it it should work...

Back