New Cannabis Use on Boat Law

Rockfish

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...-pot-laws-will-cover-all-the-bases-1.23289391

With the legalization of marijuana there are some new laws coming and this one seems relevant to us.

“Using marijuana is barred in any vehicle or boat. And no one can operate a vehicle or boat if they know someone in it is using cannabis”.

One of the guides I have gone out with asks you at the dock if you have any bananas ( there bad luck) and if you do, you have to eat it quick before you get on his boat. No names mentioned, right Wolf. Now he may be adding – I see you have a bag a brownies, come on eat them, eat them all, stuff them in your face. I can’t operate the boat till there gone – its the law.

How about you turn around from the helm station and its - dam lady your eating a brownie, now I have to stop operating the boat. Tell you what, I will just turn off the motors, close my eyes, put my hands over my ears and hum to myself. You tap me on the shoulder when its gone and I can start operating the boat again.

Captain, the purser says there is a couple on the upper deck eating a brownie. Who responds; dam this always happens on the Salt Spring Island route. Turn this ferry around and head back to the terminal.

Lady I see you have a brownie there. Since you are in the Cabin you are “in” the boat and I can’t operate the boat if your in it eating a brownie. Go out on the deck where you will just be “on” the boat and were golden.

Perhaps there will be a new emergency cannabis boat violation reporting system. Pot Pot Pot to be added to Mayday Mayday Mayday and the Pan Pan Pan VHF call options.

And feel free to add your own. I need to go get another beer and clean up all these empties.

Last edited:
Also Illegal to consume alcohol on a boat in BC unless it has permanent cooking and sleeping facilities and boat is moored on anchor or at a dock .... and we all know how many fishermen abide by that rule!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Im confident that if you or someone has a precription then the rules change. Not for the person operating the boat. Its no different than taking medicine for sea sickness. If I was a guide & was taking out some Vets who are prescribed pot for PTSD & had to tell them to miss there medication for 8hrs, it would not be acceptable.

Its goofy considering the amount of pharma problems we have now days. Its ok if someone is popping oxy, but pot is a big deal.

Im curious to know if the folks who guide have many people who ask to smoke pot on the boat?

Its goofy considering the amount of pharma problems we have now days. Its ok if someone is popping oxy, but pot is a big deal.

Big Pharma makes a boat load (pardon the pun) off of Oxy and related drugs and money is the grease that keeps political parties supportive. Now that pot is on the stock market and there is legal money and taxes to be made, I would not be surprised if the initial barrage of new ultra control cannabis laws get tapped down a bit overtime. They probably help overcome the initial legalization resistance and reassure those who think legalizing it will turn the province into one giant version of the Reefer Madness movie.

Last edited:
Horrible grammar and spelling aside, perhaps it's time to get serious about impaired boating? It's never been legal to operate a boat while impaired by either alcohol or a drug. Impaired boating needs to be seen as socially unacceptable as driving a car while impaired. There's very little enforcement of impaired boating in BC compared to driving, but both are equally dangerous. Marijuana impairment is real, and its very dangerous.

For you consumers, I challenge you to do the following: Give yourself 48hrs of sobriety, then you and a friend perform the "walk and turn" and "one leg stand" tests.

Here they are demonstrated on YouTube.

You will perform them flawlessly, though the one leg stand can be a bit challenging.

Then consume your marijuana and repeat the tests. Film yourself, and see how bad you do them. Do them again in an hour or two after consumption, then watch yourself fail these tests again. How many hours until you're sober enough to pass these very basic sobriety tests?

People need to stop kidding themselves that they're okay to drive a car or steer a boat after recently consuming marijuana. The truth is, they're not.

And if you can't go 48 hours sober? Maybe that should be a wake up call to you about your problem.

Horrible grammar and spelling aside, perhaps it's time to get serious about impaired boating? It's never been legal to operate a boat while impaired by either alcohol or a drug. Impaired boating needs to be seen as socially unacceptable as driving a car while impaired. There's very little enforcement of impaired boating in BC compared to driving, but both are equally dangerous. Marijuana impairment is real, and its very dangerous.

For you consumers, I challenge you to do the following: Give yourself 48hrs of sobriety, then you and a friend perform the "walk and turn" and "one leg stand" tests.

Here they are demonstrated on YouTube.

You will perform them flawlessly, though the one leg stand can be a bit challenging.

Then consume your marijuana and repeat the tests. Film yourself, and see how bad you do them. Do them again in an hour or two after consumption, then watch yourself fail these tests again. How many hours until you're sober enough to pass these very basic sobriety tests?

People need to stop kidding themselves that they're okay to drive a car or steer a boat after recently consuming marijuana. The truth is, they're not.

And if you can't go 48 hours sober? Maybe that should be a wake up call to you about your problem.

I don't think anyone here is arguing its ok for people to operate a boat stoned or drunk out of their mind. What I question is not being allowed to have consumed a legal product that is prescribed by doctors and approved with the government as a passenger on the boat.
Are you saying no one should be allowed on a boat as a passenger unless 48 hours free from the MJ?

This notion that marijuana use doesn't impair people is absolutely ridiculous. So save it for after the salmon barbecue when you're on dry land.

Nobody ever plans to go out boating, and hopes that the boat sinks, that someone falls overboard or that there's a fire. But these things do happen. When they do, there is a high likelihood of people dying. A car can stop on the side of the road, and everyone can get out. We don't have this option on boats. Being sober on a boat is your first layer of personal safety and personal responsibility. I don't want to drown. I don't want my guests to drown. I stay sober and expect the same of everyone on board.

If someone can't stay sober long enough to enjoy a day of fishing? Or needs to get drunk/high to enjoy themselves? They've got a problem. If they're so 'sick' that they need their 'medicine?' Probably not a good idea to be out on a boat either.

According to the new rules if someone sparks one up on my boat I can't be on board so I guess Abandon ship!! I'll just float along side the boat then no problems. The new laws are a joke and completely unenforceable.

Smoke fish not weed! Although a fish is harder to light. Seriously I don’t mind my friends having the odd cool one, I abstain by choice, too much crap can go wrong out there even on the best of days. Besides you have to be sober to deal with those boaters who aren’t!

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...-pot-laws-will-cover-all-the-bases-1.23289391

With the legalization of marijuana there are some new laws coming and this one seems relevant to us.

“Using marijuana is barred in any vehicle or boat. And no one can operate a vehicle or boat if they know someone in it is using cannabis”.

One of the guides I have gone out with asks you at the dock if you have any bananas ( there bad luck) and if you do, you have to eat it quick before you get on his boat. No names mentioned, right Wolf. Now he may be adding – I see you have a bag a brownies, come on eat them, eat them all, stuff them in your face. I can’t operate the boat till there gone – its the law.

How about you turn around from the helm station and its - dam lady your eating a brownie, now I have to stop operating the boat. Tell you what, I will just turn off the motors, close my eyes, put my hands over my ears and hum to myself. You tap me on the shoulder when its gone and I can start operating the boat again.

Captain, the purser says there is a couple on the upper deck eating a brownie. Who responds; dam this always happens on the Salt Spring Island route. Turn this ferry around and head back to the terminal.

Lady I see you have a brownie there. Since you are in the Cabin you are “in” the boat and I can’t operate the boat if your in it eating a brownie. Go out on the deck where you will just be “on” the boat and were golden.

Perhaps there will be a new emergency cannabis boat violation reporting system. Pot Pot Pot to be added to Mayday Mayday Mayday and the Pan Pan Pan VHF call options.

And feel free to add your own. I need to go get another beer and clean up all these empties.
Well, i'm not a cop and i'm not doing their job. If people want to burn a doobie on my boat i don't care. I won't be participating as i'm the designated driver

Graval has been on the boat for years ,I see no post about taking graval as a haluanagenic.10-17 am band now.then a 10-100.then a 10-420.

Graval has been on the boat for years ,I see no post about taking graval as a haluanagenic.10-17 am band now.then a 10-100.then a 10-420.

Picking on Gravol really isn’t a good comparator.

Gravol only reaches hallucinagenic properties when taken in excess of a standard prescribed dosage of 25-50 mg orally (at which you could be considered impaired). You’re looking at 5-10 times this amount.

The anticholinergic effects at such a high dosage really aren’t desirable so the likelihood of abuse is pretty remote.

Keep in mind, with alcohol there are generally two main charges: impaired driving and driving over the legal limit. You can be legally ‘impaired’ but still blow under the legal limit. For example, certain ethnic groups can have weak tolerances for alcohol and will appear totally hammered but have a relatively low blood alcohol level. They lack alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes to metabolize the alcohol.

Back