New BBQ

Bows Up

Spent $79 and got Weber knockoff out of Cdn Tire. It is set into a SS counter top. Alder chips, a chunk of spring and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Next up is wood chunks. Convenience of propane is wonderful with a young family but as a retired guy I can find the time to wait for the coals to heat up. ;)

Prawns tomorrow night. Okra baked with fresh ground coriander, cumin seed and coarse salt in coconut oil as a side. Burp.

BBQ.jpg

I love my charcoal burner, it imparts the best flavor ever,
I can have it up to 5-600 degrees in 15 minutes or less,
look up looftlighter you will love it, lights your charcoal in 2 minutes

Ultimate steak machine right there. Nothing beats the sear from charcoal. Now Google minion method & snake method for burning charcoal & you'll be able to cook almost anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips gentlemen. There is a lot to learn. Beauty is I can eat my misteaks.

Beauty BBQ Bows Up! I have the Weber version and I love it. I got a cheap propane version too for when I'm in a rush. If you don't go for the looflighter like mentioned above, at least get yourself a chimney (about $15 from Can Tire or Home Depot). It makes a world of difference to light them without lighter fluid. I add a little newspaper in between my layers of charcoal to speed it up even when using the propane ignition to start the charcoal (not sure if yours has propane ignition, probably not at $79).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up a komado charcole grill. Cant wait to do some hot stone pizza on it.

I just picked up a komado charcole grill. Cant wait to do some hot stone pizza on it.
which did you buy Steely?
I was going to buy the "Egg" but found it came bare bones and ended up buying the vision grills kamado and it came fully optioned so to speak.
had it for a few months now and really love it.

I went with the poor mans version, the Akorn Kamado from Lowes. I'm building a cedar counter top that it will be built into with a bar fridge below.

I'm waiting to finish a 1 kg can of coffee et voilà, a chimney. Remove the other end after using a can opener to punch holes in the side for air. Komodo and egg looked great but at that price I think I'll go old school Louisiana.

Anyone got a line on some sched 40 pipe ? Two feet of 2' dia. and 3' of 3 ' dia. ?

just need to find a bulk supplier of lump now, want to keep a Rubbermaid garbage can full of lump on hand

Finished up my komado table the other day. Went with western red cedar base and concrete countertop that i stained with coffee and high gloss sealer.

Damn cell phone uploaded pics sideways lol

Attachments

• 20150504_192256.jpg
    20150504_192256.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20150503_172927.jpg
    20150503_172927.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 144
Wow that table is awesome. Better than you would have been able to buy. Concrete top looks like marble. Should be able to pull off some good eats from that Komado.

Dan
That's a thing of beauty, love the top, is that something you made yourself or.......?
I was thinking to make the cedar table too but wasn't sure of the top
I would love to do that

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Thanks guys. Ive only fired it up once but I'm loving it.

Tim- yes I poured it myself. Super easy to do. Used melamine for form ply and just bagged 42mpa concrete. 3 bags exactly. Mesh rebar and 2-10m bars down the length beside the opening. Poured it up on saw horses and it is key to shim your form so it is perfectly level. I used a Bosch chipping hammer to vibrate the underside of the form. Cover it with plastic after you pour to keep the moisture in the concrete. I left mine 5 days before I split the for open but longer is better.

beautiful craftsmanship! the food is going to taste great!

Back