Need help picking a boat from North west aluminum hard top or open

Captainkirk

Chris0035-3.jpg

Chris0027-3.jpg

Chris0032-3.jpg

or
Mike_Hunter_040.jpg

So what do you think ? both would be out fitted with 225 yamaha and 9.9 yamaha kicker ect...

Attachments

• Chris0038-3.jpg
    Chris0038-3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Chris0035-3.jpg
    Chris0035-3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 986
  • Chris0030-3.jpg
    Chris0030-3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Chris0029-3.jpg
    Chris0029-3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Chris0032-3.jpg
    Chris0032-3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,076
Im leaning towards the open top less weight for hauling ,The hard top would need some major modifying because i'll need it to be wheel chair accessible but it is possible !!
Let me know some pros and cons on both !!
Ron
Cost is not an issue too

Gorgeous boat! Either way you will have an awsome rig. I personally like the looks of the hardtop pilot house. More shelter from the elements if need be and it shouldnt be more that 500-600lbs added.

thanks kelly. the pilot house would not have a back, it would be a drop down curtain. The cabin floor would be the same height as the back deck so any one over 5.5 would have to duck too seating in both would be pedestal and small bench behind .

I agree with Kelly-can't beat a pilot house to get out of the elements and still fish-beats canvas any day!!

Go for the pilot house. Install a heater and you can fish year round. Open boats are great for California and Florida, but with BC coastal weather, a good solid roof over your head is a great asset. It also gives you a solid place to store things like a life-raft or prawn & crab traps.

Make sure they weld a good, solid rail/hand-grip along the roof line on each side. That will come in handy for moving forward on the boat and also for docking as it gives you a good solid place to grab. Additionally, it can be used to hold stuff on the roof if designed properly. It also comes in very handy for hanging bumpers.

Looks to be a well built boat. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of her.

Aye, aye, on all comments I think that when you write all the pro's and cons the hard top will be on top of the list.Creature comforts make for better fishing trips.

thats what it sound like! being a custom boat I guess Doug at Northwest can do pretty much anything .Warmth ,secure lock up , and protection from the elements almost a no brainer I guess ! The hard part is waiting ! arrgh

Arrr Billy have ye ever been to sea?

Not much sea in Oilberta bye.

im from nanaimo bc fished the east coast for 25+years. Been to the west coast by charter boat only looking for a west coast fishing machine !!! NOT ALBERTA

Hardtop, Ron with the back open. Sooooo much nicer than the canvas top. Had both styles, hardtop and canvas.
Each has good points. The only complaint I had with my hardtop was the windows fogging up early in the morning.
PITA.
Dan.

How did you over come the windows fogging up ? 12v fans ?did you have a heater installed ? I cant seem to find a good one . So you think i should just have a open back? no door to cabin or canvas ...
Ron

I tried everything to keep it from fogging. Blankets, rain-x, etc.
The fan sort of worked...
I just gave up and drank late into the night and went out later.
LOL.
I don't like the door on the back just personal preference. I'm not a small guy and trying to be graceful getting to a rod that is pounding away through a door.....well it ain't pretty.
See if you can find a shot of the back of Roys (Wolf) Hourston, two big lumps like me and him have plenty of room to scramble around.
That layout is nice, can't have enough room in the back IMO.
Nows the time to plan it out.
Ask yourself what do i need how will my chair fit, how will it work when i turn , can i get a direct angle to the rods/riggers.
Carefully think it through plannings half the fun.
P.S.Good choice on the builder.
http://www.hourstonglascraft.com/Hourston_Glascraft/26_SPORTFISHER.html#9

I would get a pilot houe but without the rear door have it open but with a drop curtain that would be good for the wheel chair too

I was just looking over the photos of the back deck and noticed something. No toe-rails to hook your toes into.

I would want a solid little shelf with about 2.5 - 3" of clearance below it to hook your toes into while you lean against the gunnel. Could keep someone from going over the side if you get hit with a wave when you don't expect it.

As far as heaters go. I know that they make a diesel fired cabin heater and you can plumb lines up under the windows to keep them clear. You would have to add a small diesel tank to feed it, and they are not that cheap. I rather doubt they would make a gas-fired heater for safety reasons, but might be worth checking into.

All my boats have been I/O's and taken heat from a big detroit built V8.

thanks Dan good point! i've been thinking more room the better i'm not a small guy too, Doug from Northwest has brought up loads of ideas and points for me to consider. He has never built a boat for some one in a wheelchair but he really wants to take on the challenge ! i really appreciate the tips and ideas too its my first big boat so I really want it perfect and well thought out. ill try to see it Roy (wolf ) will send me a picture they really help! thanks

captain kirk
should have picked first mate I guess ?

Back