BraydonLuscombe

So I have organized a charter trip out in Ucluelet, BC for one of my buddys bachelor party! Unfortunately the guy who is getting married was born with no hands... ahaha he really wanted to take a fishing trip for his party! he has gone salmon fishing before but I am trying to think of a way that it will make it easier for him to reel in a fish! both of his hands are amputated right at the wrists.. He will have no problem holding the rod, just is a little tough reeling.. I am open to any ideas and am gonna try and rig up something to help out! something that can maybe go around his wrist and somehow attach or clamp or hook onto the knob of the reel ! Help me PLEEEASE. open to any ideas.

Thanks!
Braydon

So I have organized a charter trip out in Ucluelet, BC for one of my buddys bachelor party! Unfortunately the guy who is getting married was born with no hands... ahaha he really wanted to take a fishing trip for his party! he has gone salmon fishing before but I am trying to think of a way that it will make it easier for him to reel in a fish! both of his hands are amputated right at the wrists.. He will have no problem holding the rod, just is a little tough reeling.. I am open to any ideas and am gonna try and rig up something to help out! something that can maybe go around his wrist and somehow attach or clamp or hook onto the knob of the reel ! Help me PLEEEASE. open to any ideas.

Thanks!
Braydon
So-what has this gentleman got for appliances on his wrists? What type of reel will he use? I have a very large handle that was designed for a penn say 320 or 330 reel-won't work on a centre pin but it is so big you could wind it with your forearm. I'll dig it out and take a picture,

So-what has this gentleman got for appliances on his wrists? What type of reel will he use? I have a very large handle that was designed for a penn say 320 or 330 reel-won't work on a centre pin but it is so big you could wind it with your forearm. I'll dig it out and take a picture,

In his everyday life he does not wear prosthetic hands or anything he is very capable of using his arms the way they are.. so he will not have any appliances or prosthetics on his arm. I thinking the reels used on the charter boat trolling for spring will just be a basic mooching reel, most commonly used probly an Islander.. We'll be jigging for some halibut as well so a long arm arm could work on a halibut reel ! Thanks that would be fantastic to see a photo!

In his everyday life he does not wear prosthetic hands or anything he is very capable of using his arms the way they are.. so he will not have any appliances or prosthetics on his arm. I thinking the reels used on the charter boat trolling for spring will just be a basic mooching reel, most commonly used probly an Islander.. We'll be jigging for some halibut as well so a long arm arm could work on a halibut reel ! Thanks that would be fantastic to see a photo!
OK I'll dig it up!

Is he against a slip on prosthetic for this trip? It could be as easy as an appropriate ID (fit over his arm) piece of abs 2"-3" long with a bushing glued in that had a hole big enough to accept the existing reel handle. Or can you modify a reel you have or an inexpensive one you bought or borrowed with the same type of thing with a cap instead of a bushing? Take off the handle, drill a hole in the cap and screw it on it where the handle was, effectively making a socket for him.

Spinning reel would work best .Find length/width of reel knob on the handle and a larger size wd 40 or simular size cap lid .Red green it to the forearm ,duck tape the cap to forearm.

Is he against a slip on prosthetic for this trip? It could be as easy as an appropriate ID (fit over his arm) piece of abs 2"-3" long with a bushing glued in that had a hole big enough to accept the existing reel handle. Or can you modify a reel you have or an inexpensive one you bought or borrowed with the same type of thing with a cap instead of a bushing? Take off the handle, drill a hole in the cap and screw it on it where the handle was, effectively making a socket for him.

Thats a great idea actuall! appropriate sized abs pipe with something glued to the outside that you could just put over handle of the reel! fantastic idea! thank you I will make an attempt!

Thanks!
Braydon
So this is what I have--I think they call it a Power Handle--fits most lever/star drag reels.DSC01034.JPG

Call the charter company as well and give them a heads up. they may have a level wind that they use for some of their less experienced clients. single action reels can be tough even on an able bodied man .the line pick up will be much faster on a level wind and not such a risk of losing tension on the fish.
Measure his fore arm and try to find a plumbing pipe the same circumference. glue a 90 elbow at the end with a cap. drill a hole in the cap. done.
you're a good pal btw good on ya

Levelwind reels require the fisher to hold the rod and reel upright (eyelets to the sky) with one hand on the rod ,and reel with the other hand.Without hands how is the fisher to hold upright on a levelwind reel? A centerpin reel would be dangerous.That leaves a spinning reel to do the job.add a couple beadchain swivels to the line to keep line from twisting from inexpirianced fisher's constant reelling .

Back