Navy spills fuel in Strait of Georgia

Presumably not, just because most Vancouverites think of the forty mile wide environmental crater we live in as a pristine, green environment and seeing fuel in English Bay disturbs that totally erroneous image...although I think that F-76 is basically diesel. I think the EB spill was bunker? It probably would have looked worse, although whether spilling bunker is actually worse than spilling diesel I admit I'm not really sure.

What strikes me as really wild is that the 30,000 litre spill sounds huge...but it's about 4% of a full tank of fuel in that ship. You hear these numbers thrown around about how many barrels of oil get consumed in a day but they're almost inconceivably huge...then here's a single error that dumps enough fuel to fill 300 Dodge 2500s. And it's a tiny fraction of what that fuel tank of that one ship carries at one time. The scale of human industry is really mind boggling.

Last edited:
February 25, 2018 - 8:25 pm

An estimated 30,000 L of fuel was released from HMCS Calgary between the hours of 3am and 8am on February 24, 2018 during a re-fueling operation. HMCS Calgary is a Halifax frigate with the Canadian Navy.

The spill was reported to have started near Parksville and ended approximately 100km southeast, just west of Tsawassen.

Transport Canada flight 951 flew the ship's route and surveyed potential impact areas and no sheen was observed.

Environment Canada developed a dispersion and trajectory model which indicated that there would likely be no impact to shorelines. Environment Canada calculations predicted a quick dispersion of the fuel due to sea conditions and the continuous movement of the vessel during the release.

The Department of National Defense had aircraft and resources in the area today and has organized several vessels to continue searching the sea and shoreline for signs of fuel tomorrow.

B.C. Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy has response staff participating in additional field observations tomorrow in coordination with the Department of National Defense and Canadian Coast Guard.

The next update will be provided when new information is available.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...ncies/spill-incidents/hmcs-calgary-fuel-spill

The spill was reported to have started near Parksville and ended approximately 100km southeast, just west of Tsawassen.

Transport Canada flight 951 flew the ship's route and surveyed potential impact areas and no sheen was observed.

Environment Canada developed a dispersion and trajectory model which indicated that there would likely be no impact to shorelines. Environment Canada calculations predicted a quick dispersion of the fuel due to sea conditions and the continuous movement of the vessel during the release.

Nothing 24 hrs of NW gales can’t take care of! Right?

I doubt they were refueling? We no longer have a tanker as far as I know (any American supply ship in the area)and even if we did Five hours? Seems more likely they were transferring fuel internally and opened the wrong valve?

All that being said, a lot depends on what kind of fuel spilled and where to determine the severity.

We have the rented tanker however in 30+ years never "fuelled" in the straights. Get fuel from tankers at a rate of **** per minute, (another non Navy person cannot fathom 1000 lts+ a minute), as Cracked Ribs stated there are many tanks and fuel is cleaned, and transferred throughout tanks for many reasons. Not sure about keeping whales safe at all times, Ops take precedence. Not out there as whale watchers...

HM

Herd on the radio this morning that the fuel will evaporate like kerosene but I don't no if that is just government propaganda!

How do you not notice spilling that much fuel? Embarrassing to say the least

I understood there to be significant wind during the accident.
So it would depend on the direction and rate of travel of the ship versus the direction and the rate of the wind.
It also happened between 3 and 8 am, so visibility would be affected in noticing a sheen.

I think the Navy is still embarrassed though.

Lifeboy was removed many years ago, now it feels like a lockdown at sunset. Not having sundowners really "sucks". POOW does rounds, no risk of falling over when all are inside. 30000 ltrs is lots for civilian pers, but in the grand scheme of a major war vessels gas tanks its a drop in the bucket. All pers that I have given tours to were amazed at this class of ship. Now they are getting old, lets hope Justin continues previous gov and gives us new ships so the Navy can continue to do its job on a world scale.

HM

Back