Natives strike again

Oceanmaster

I was up the San Juan river, talking to the hatchery staff at the counting fence. Was told the natives were at the fence the other night netting fish total take 357 fish. WTF. Maurice was livid and thinking of removing the fence rather than having the stock become sitting ducks. Truely sad.

Ibtl..........

Yes, I agree. Stop hating on FN, there are just as many White, European, Asian, whatever, that have wrecked things for us anglers. So tired of the bashing. Walk a mile in another mans shoes before you judge.

Having said that, a hatchery fence harvest might be questionable.

Yes, I agree. Stop hating on FN, there are just as many White, European, Asian, whatever, that have wrecked things for us anglers. So tired of the bashing. Walk a mile in another mans shoes before you judge.

Having said that, a hatchery fence harvest might be questionable.
I disagree. At no point was there any "hatred" mentioned by the original poster. All incidents of ALL questionable harvests need to be brought to our attention, regardless of race. Stop hating them? Original poster mentioned nothing about hating them. How about you stop jumping to conclusions that are not there and protecting them?

The original poster has 3rd party info at best and the title Natives Strike again kind has the tone of someone he is not a big fan of.

Last edited by a moderator:
In conversation today I heard that the hatchery has taken 300 fish to date and needs another 600 to get their brood stock. I hope they get what they need. If not things need to be done to ensure they reach their required targets.

I agree whole heartedly with bgm. The title of this thread starts it off as bring a racist bashing. There is nothing good about netting salmon at a fence, but instead of the thread about a few individuals being out of line, it is about a whole segment of the population.

It is pretty lame how when there is a thread started about a non-native poacher the story is purely about the infraction, but when the party in question is native, it purely becomes about race rather than individual.

And to get down to the morality of the whole thing, what is the difference between indiscrimenrntly commercially netting fish in the open ocean with little knowledge of exactly where they are headed vs harvesting right from their final destation. If proper controls are in place(which certainly does not exist today) harvesting at the end of the journey can more accurately protect stocks.

This is just a sad thread; title, topic/infraction, dfo management, and underlying attitude towards the people who lived in harmony with the salmon until the western world came and messed with the balance...all disheartening, exercise empathy guys.

I disagree. At no point was there any "hatred" mentioned by the original poster. All incidents of ALL questionable harvests need to be brought to our attention, regardless of race. Stop hating them? Original poster mentioned nothing about hating them. How about you stop jumping to conclusions that are not there and protecting them?

I am not jumping to conclusions, and I will always protect them. I take issue with people who continually generalize about FN and try to assess their way of life by comparing them with our standards. They are unique, and not equal to us Canadians, so stop trying to judge them based on our way of life and beliefs.

I agree whole heartedly with bgm. The title of this thread starts it off as bring a racist bashing. There is nothing good about netting salmon at a fence, but instead of the thread about a few individuals being out of line, it is about a whole segment of the population.

It is pretty lame how when there is a thread started about a non-native poacher the story is purely about the infraction, but when the party in question is native, it purely becomes about race rather than individual.

And to get down to the morality of the whole thing, what is the difference between indiscrimenrntly commercially netting fish in the open ocean with little knowledge of exactly where they are headed vs harvesting right from their final destation. If proper controls are in place(which certainly does not exist today) harvesting at the end of the journey can more accurately protect stocks.

This is just a sad thread; title, topic/infraction, dfo management, and underlying attitude towards the people who lived in harmony with the salmon until the western world came and messed with the balance...all disheartening, exercise empathy guys.

I like the cut of of your jib, sir.

I was up the San Juan river, talking to the hatchery staff at the counting fence. Was told the natives were at the fence the other night netting fish total take 357 fish. WTF. Maurice was livid and thinking of removing the fence rather than having the stock become sitting ducks. Truely sad.

Maybe Maurice should have a chat with the chief and express his concerns about netting the earlier fish at the fence?

I could go on.......
Smiley_Tiny_Drinking_Coffee.gif

have to say - i was going to throw my 2 cents in, but i cant say much more after what Lippy said... well balanced and good points!

I am not jumping to conclusions, and I will always protect them. I take issue with people who continually generalize about FN and try to assess their way of life by comparing them with our standards.They are unique, and not equal to us Canadians, so stop trying to judge them based on our way of life and beliefs.

Just find that statement interesting

Just find that statement interesting

I too struggled a bit with how to say this.

It seems many people want one set of laws, equality across the board, one Canada, etc. The fact is, our cultures are very different and reconciliation is what is needed, not necessarily equality. They need fairness and fairness means you get what you need as a an individualist or group and does not mean everyone gets the same thing.

Respect goes both ways. The local band should be contacting the hatchery guys before they fish and both parties lay out what they need and find an acceptable number of fish to take. (based on each years returns) The band has to respect that without the volunteer hours of the hatchery guys they wouldn't have those fish to catch. The hatchery guys have to remember that they produce fish which can be caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back