Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Its the Tubby plug...(fatter plug), and it can be trolled slower as it gets more movement at slower speeds than the classic plug. The classic version needs to trolled faster, and the tubby plug can be fished at similar speeds to spoons and hoochies.

I troll spoons at different speeds depending on the size of the spoon and if it's behind a flasher or not.

The other day I had a 2 inch spoon on and trolled it at 1.8 to 2 mph....5 fish.

I go slower if I'm going against the current.......if I'm going cross current or with the current I speed up a bit.

Bigger spoons I go 2 to 2.5 mph.

I use a combo of downrigger line angle and GPS speed-over -ground.

Hoochies I go 2 to 3 mph generally.

This all affected by how far the flasher is back of the clip too.......I'm usually around 15ft or so.......

Most spoons I run at 60" behind flasher.......works for me....got tired of continually changing spoon leader lengths *For Chinooks).

Sockeye spoon lengths behind flasher:- any where from 25 inches to 42 inches.......

WOW now I know I was going to slow I will give it a shot this weekend and let you all know how it goes Thanks. one other thing do we get a Sockeye run here

You might have to go across the straight or to the fraser mouth for your sox ...... But that's ok on good days. Well worth the over night er when they are in thick

Or go to port Alberni

Goof luck to you

ReelKnotty:-

spoontrolling speeds are just a generalisation at best.

I've had lots of hits when on side of the boat, when the tackle was hanging dead in the water pretty much while I was playing a fish on the other side. The boat be moving maybe 1/2 a mile per hour right then.

Just try different speeds.

One time I was trolling spoons at around 5mph just for the hell of it.......(it was Coho season....spoons by themselves , no flashers) ).......I was amazed how many Chinooks hit the spoons doing that.

Also had Chinooks hit on "Gun and Run"........that is, stop dead in the water---let the tackle settle....then throttle up quickly to troll speed.

Also had Chinooks hit when I just put the tackle in the water, lowered the downrigger to depth (boat moving but slow) and was just about to start getting up to troll speed.

Then there's "turns"......you troll in a straight line for awhile...and you get zilch......so you decide to do a turn left or tight....and "fish on"........

Also......you are trolling along with,say, the downrigger/lure at 180feet deep.......you decide to bring it up to 160ft...while it's doing that..."bango" fish on......

Sometimes you get hits while lowering the downrigger/lure to depth.

You just never know.........

If a lure doesn't work for me after half an hour in the water, I change the game up (lure depth, location) until something does work.

If it's working I leave everything alone (flasher lure , depth, everything).

speed

Hello fellow fishers

I personally like faster than slower Depending on how the current is running i like to do 3-5 mph bait 3 hootchies around 4-5 with hootchies. My buddy runs a 20 inch leader hootchie and does as fast as his little 9.9 can go usually 5 mph and he catches more springs than anyone I know.. I use this method also but more on the westcoast i.e. knootka some of you might know him its Savy.. In the georgia straight Im 3-4 mph cover ground and depths till you find them… especially offshore gabriola and fingers good luck!!!

Tight Lines
Billydoo

I'm heading out early in the am, unless its blowing up a storm. Have room for a person or two if anyone wants to come???

heading out this morning around 11, droppin the crab n prawn traps then hopefully , troll up some salmon with my new teaser strips and anchovy rigs :):p

I'm heading out early in the am, unless its blowing up a storm. Have room for a person or two if anyone wants to come???

Would love to have taken you up on that offer..I'm often down in nanaimo on weekends..(visiting girlfriend) give me a heads up ..maybe next time around..more than willing to sharing/paying gas money and help washup afterwards

Last edited by a moderator:
To continue the highjack on reports with speed recommendations...
Some of the best advise I have been given is to troll as fast as you can where you are still getting the action you want on your gear.
This way you cover as much ground as possible.
This does not mean troll fast all the time. Just as fast as you can where you get the action you want on gear.
Sometimes I want fast action (aggressive feeders...) sometimes I want slow (late season springs and hogs).
Some gear meant to troll fast, some not. Direction of boat against current...
Lots of variables to consider but sound advice.

Tips

was hoping to get out today.. will have to see , changing rectifier this afternoon, found one with a voltage regulator built in...better play it safe n not fry my new sounder..

u9ynuzen.jpg
ministrip 180 feet sog 2.5 solo fugly fish :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another stellar day out there. Landed 6 kept 3 and lost 3. Lots of action today. Can't wait for tomorrow.
7u4y7use.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey nice catch there jeff and biddogg - whereabouts were you guys hitting 'em out there / what time of day? Hoping to head out for the maiden voyage of the year tomorrow AM

Back