Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Looking at the meat in the sunlight....they were definitely reds.
Thanks, Grace Underfire. I'm still on Cloud Nine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fish one set up this time a year and very rarely ever change, its a purple hotspot with onion glow on one side with a yellow tale spoon 5 to 6 foot leader. jiggin also produced with a macdeep blue white with glow

f228146fc97f25dbea2a78cd722a877f.jpg

15 pound spring and a 8 lb sockeye.
My first sockeye.
Tasted great. Must catch more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out at Neck point 3-6pm, 2 x nice 12-14 lb springs on green onion flasher and small 3 inch irish cream spoon
Fished on bottom 175 ft, fish had small 3 inch herring and 5 inch fresh squid in it
Out with 13 yr old son, amazing fights, thought the bigger one was a Tyee. LOL

Was out for high tide and my buddy caught this right off neck. It gave a few jumps but came up without much of a fight. 15lbs on the scale. I'm pretty sure it's a nice looking chum, what do you think? I thought they were Oct fish.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

definatley a chum maybe early one heading south I've got them before even earlier in the year the bulk of the local fish are in oct though i go up to browns bay its a riot !! smokem pickle 'em even good with lots of sauce on the bbq

Nice Chum. Take 'em if you get 'em, right? Seems like there are a few nice fish around all of a sudden. We tried to fish the Fingers yesterday afternoon but were scared off by some dubious boatsmanship by several of the other participants. We stayed around long enough to perform an LDR.

Our trip today consisted of trailering the boat to the end of the cul de sac where a wheel locked. We spent the remainder of the evening pulling the thing apart. So if you got out on this great labour day evening, even if you didn't catch anything, I could have been worse.

Yea nice chum, thats a great area to fish especially right out in front of shack island they seem to hold in there, mostly full of stickle back,

Nice Chum Tex! An early surprise for sure.

Just wondering if any of you guys use the Charlaine boat ramp, or do you prefer to scoot over from Brechin?

Charlaine

Just wondering if any of you guys use the Charlaine boat ramp, or do you prefer to scoot over from Brechin?

I use it a lot. Decent, if you have an all wheel drive, have a boat under 19, and avoid the lowest tides. However, regardless of how careful you are you're going to get a few scratches here and there. I like the fact, I'm only 2 minutes away from the action.

I live down the street from Charlaine but I still use Brechin anyway. I like the ramp, the parking and the fish cleaning station.

Back