Nanaimo River

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

River Hunter

Has anyone had any luck getting fish on here?
I've caught a few coho and jack springs on the fly in the last month and quite a few cytties.All C & R.
I also see Chum starting to roll in.

Has anyone had success on the Nanaimo river lately?
Although rain and lower temp will create a mass movement,I was jus asking one question.
this wild coho is from saturday morning...
1010091114a.jpg

The runs there are almost extinct and dragging the few fish that are left up onto the rocks to get pictures isnt going to help it recover.

That fish was fine.
Everything sucks in B.C. as far as river returns go.So Make the best of what is left.
Dragging on rocks...dummy.Use your head.

quote:Originally posted by River6ix

That fish was fine.
Everything sucks in B.C. as far as river returns go.So Make the best of what is left.

EVERYTHING sucks, really?? [:0]

Well, lets see,

Campbell River - 1,000,000+ Pinks,an all time record, Higher than expected chinook ( includes Quinsam stock ) & coho numbers so far, pending final counts in a few weeks.

Stamp River - 50,000 coho & still counting, 500,000 sockeye, Springs WERE there & then systematically wiped out. See other threads, summer steelhead appear strong so far, next month will tell.

Big & little Qualicum rivers - Higher than expected chinook returns, coho just starting, but plenty offshore so far, Chum numbers good to excellent in the salt right now, commercial openings in full swing though.

Quatse - excellent pink returns, strong coho numbers showing.

Cluxewe - Excellent pink numbers, Very strong coho showing.

Need I go on?? It isn't all doom & gloom, there are a number of excellent fisheries taking place this fall, so it might just be a bit early for a cavalier attitude & not giving a damn anymore. Oh, BTW, that coho is CLEARLY laying on the same rock you are standing on. Not the best position for a fish that has to be released, so since there are so few of them left, maybe leave it fully in the water next time you want to get a pic. If you are going to fish the Nanaimo, you are going to have an impact, so please try & keep it to a minimum, I'm sure the fish will appreciate it.

Either you have Giant Feet, or that fish is like 3.5 pounds tops. And yes it shouldent have been hauled onto the rocks.

for the sake of calling a spade a spade...

and as stated above, your feet are maybe 12"... and that fish isnt much bigger than your shoe... so, 12-14" coho?

How did this go from from bagging on a guy's technique to making fun of his fish? Ridiculous.

Considering the lack of waders and the deep water just off the boulders, the scenario looks to be about as good as it could get.

Thanks for the report, and thanks for posting the pic. Maybe not an ideal release, but certainly not the worst.

quote:Originally posted by River6ix

That fish was fine.

Wow... Has anyone else here dragged a 1/4 pound fish onto the rocks to take a picture? [xx(] As far as returns sucking in B.C. goes... you are TOTALLY clueless.

It's maybe...2-3 pounds,And you can keep jack coho under 30 cm I believe in Nanaimo.
I was going for Cutties when this guy took my egg sucking leech.
It cooperated for like 3 seconds laying there,I prepared my camera while the fish was swimming on the end of my line,so yeah,looks bad,but wasn't like it looks,it was placed by hand.
And I ain't driving across the island to fish when I got a river in my hometown to fish.Spose I coulda got a nice coho from the nets downstream below cedar bridge,but I ain't like that.
Anyone else having luck in Nanaimo river?[^]

quote:Oh, BTW, that coho is CLEARLY laying on the same rock you are standing on. Not the best position for a fish that has to be released, so since there are so few of them left, maybe leave it fully in the water next time you want to get a pic. If you are going to fish the Nanaimo, you are going to have an impact, so please try & keep it to a minimum, I'm sure the fish will appreciate it

That fish has a better chance of surviving than anything you catch summer steel! :D

quote:Originally posted by Blackleech

quote:Oh, BTW, that coho is CLEARLY laying on the same rock you are standing on. Not the best position for a fish that has to be released, so since there are so few of them left, maybe leave it fully in the water next time you want to get a pic. If you are going to fish the Nanaimo, you are going to have an impact, so please try & keep it to a minimum, I'm sure the fish will appreciate it

That fish has a better chance of surviving than anything you catch summer steel! :D

Wow, another insightful post there BL. Can't wait for the next one. [xx(]

Hahaha, this topic is awsome! So much drama, If the guy says he treated the fish with respect, then just assume he did. I have layed fish on the rocks for pics before. It just looks bad in the pic. Nobody knows how the fish got there!

SummerSteel If the stamp steelhead stocks ever diminish...Well we all know who the fingers will point at... and its not because were targeting you...You made it very public the #'s of fish you remove from the rivers.

The difference in the stamp is that those fish are put there for 1 reason, to be caught and killed. When will you NEWBS ever understand the meaning of a put and take fishery?? There was 85,000+ coho in the stamp this year but maybe 2-300 in the nanaimo. Do you see the difference?? Its PATHETIC that people like BL think its ok to snag wild steelhead off the reds in endangered runs but its not ok to kill half off what you are LEGALLY entitled to catch in a river overflowing with surplus fish. You people need to get educated before you post and expose yourselves as the idiots you truly are.

Id like to know what educational background you have if you go around pointing fingers like that! Dont make assumptions to "poeple"

Way to go C.S.C. tell us off and win some more respect.Could you also cut and paste the latest results for us please?(NOT!)
I jus posted this thread for the sake of LOCAL opportunities for angling.With all the posts regarding shoulder to shoulder gong shows and snagging and boots for the smoker and so on,thought I'd check my local scene.
I went to the river with my 6 wt and 4 PND leader and an assortment of flies.Numbers and diffinatly size were not a concern with that setup.
Also that picture was taken with my phone and only intended to send a picture message to my brother to see if he'd come out to wet a line,I never thought of posting it on a fish forum,but as title says,this was my LATEST catch.
By the way ,I'm 6'7" and wear a size 15 shoe.....j.k...it was small coho,but way better fighter than the 5 pnd cutty I had on earlier.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back