Nanaimo Derby

D

Dirtdog67

Word has it 30 boats took part in the first annual event today. Things were pretty bleak with a minimum of 60 rods fishing, and alot of them top notch, and only one fish boated.. A 13 lb. spring took the prize.. My guess, a combination of huge tides and a thick algea bloom played a factor in the lack of fish.. Hope things pick up, we are now into some prime time feeder spring fishing in this area..dirty:D

quote:we are now into some prime time feeder spring fishing in this area..
quote:a minimum of 60 rods fishing, and alot of them top notch, and only one fish boated.. A 13 lb. spring

ya that sounds like prime time. What a dumb time to have a derby. You know how many Herring are around right now? I have never had luck when the Herring are in. A month from now would be way better.

Take only what you need.

From what I witnessed, the event was a great success. The members of the site chose the date by consensus. The idea behind it was to raise money for the nanaimo river stewardship society and to get anglers, families and friends out on the water. My personal feeling is that they should have kept all the prizes for another event instead of giving one to everyone who participated, I heard it was well over $2500 in goodies that they gave out to people over and above he $700 first place. Some of the random handouts were worth over $300 value, with many over $100. The feeling I got, was that everyone had a good time. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I'm definatly not trying to take anything away from the event, I'm sure it was great, but if catching fish was an idea for the derby, they'd be up against it competeing with all the herring. Just cause 1 fish was caught doesn't mean that all that was around, there all problably too full to be interested in hooks though. I've been out there (ECVI) fishing for about 25 years now. I have a pretty good idea of the patterns and I've never had success (for Salmon) when the herring are around.

Take only what you need.

MasonJar.. sounds like a great day.. and the purpose of the derby was fullfilled..to raise money for Naniamo stewardship society..

A success in MY opinion and MOST went home with a prize for entering.

IslandGirl,

It was a fantastic day. The boys really did a good job! I tell you though, when I went down there the first time, early in the day it was sure slow, but there was a lot of radio chatter. When I went back down at 3pm, there was wall to wall anglers yipping and chatting all about how their day went. I had never seen a happier bunch of individuals who had spent all day on the water in cooler than normal weather, and who had hooked absolutely zippo. I've got to say it was an odd feeling looking in at all the fun that surrounded them! They put some pictures up on the site that show a good part of the fun that went on at the event. You can find them here www.killfish.com Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Back