Nanaimo Area

The only time we were marking fish yesterday was between snake and entrance, 400-600 feet, there was also a pod of killerwhales fishing near by, we were careful to not get to close , pretty cool to see them surfacing and racing after fish though.

it is a flasher color that a fellow fisherman turned me onto..photo (2).JPGguess im payin it forward so too speak..think it works pretty damn good! the back has same as the front but in silver with a uv stripe down the middle..

ummm.....actually THIS is a "Cracked Ice"..... I don't know what the you have is called , Jeffy....

002.jpg

OH.seems im mistaken... damn hey...thought that was what it was called, i have only in the last two years started using extra flashy flashers..haha i have always used green or orange ...I sometimes mistake the people that give me tips..Don't Discount anything Seafever say as he has ALOT of Fishing Knowledge..were i only have a little..:)photo (2).JPGphoto (10).JPG

if it helps any it is a hotspot flasher patent # 928068 and was purchased at HC in Nanaimo.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a short research on the matter i have found this flasher to be called the yellow mountain dew.. with white blade...apparently they work good in the green or brown water conditions due to the iridescence ...call it whatever you want... just get one!
:cool:

Hey jeffy.....I'm just Joe Average.....always learning.....you're getting all the fish so you obviously know what you're doing.......Cheers...SF....:rolleyes:

Thanks Seafever... Have a few on my License 3 to be exact..haha, but learning everyday... n your tips have helped me alot! , Gonna giver a go again tomorrow weather depending..:D

The wife and I were out this morning,went 3 for 7 and let a few shakers go.Everything was on the irish cream and yellow tail spoons

AHHHH SHEEPS%%T... was going to go out this morning to but the yard work got the better of me and i found out i need two scotchmen if i wanna run all 4 prawntraps on one line, guess that would mean i probably need 1000 feet of rope to make it happen...damn.. my boat is to small..lol, glad you were hitting fish..that yellowtail spoon is hot hot hot right now too... glad you had some luck was Nikoftime out this morning too?

A friend and I were out near Thrasher on Friday with a small group of other boats. We were trolling spoons, 1 Irish Cream and one speckled (name???) that was reccommended by HC. The speckled spoon caught 2 shakers mainly (I think) because the flasher was shiny & brand new (Pink Glo, also reccommended by HC). We saw another boat release a number of undersize but didn't see much other action; even the lings weren't co-operating. Many thanks to the chap that gave us the 'tip' on the depth! The wind came up later in the aft and with my tiny boat, we had to head for home.
Cheers; twogone

Bart and I made it out this afternoon for a few hours. Heard what depth on the radio and hit one right off the bat with a small irish creme spoon. It was probably legal but let that one go. Released a few shakers and pcod. We had around 8 pop offs. Ended the day close in by Neck Point and Bart got to go home with a nice eater. Missed one more over there too. We saw RVP out kayak fishing by Neck and talked to him for a bit. That was cool :cool:. The boat ran flawlessly and she and I are very happy :). Great day on the water.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
fished gabriolla/fingers sat & sunday....lots of shakers all day saturday until finally in the evening, off entrance island, a double header turned into a 16lb red spring and a 15lb lingcod...probably one of the tastiest double header possible! haha...again countless shakers sunday with one barely legal red spring in the mix, off the fingers, made the run back across around 2pm...all action came on spoons irish cream, kitchen sink, cop car,

Was out Saturday, bright and early, bit bumpy but fishable. Dropped prawn traps at Entrance, run over nearer to Snake and started fishing towards the Spoil Grounds, Hit fish right away, 137', Bad Attitude and Irish Cream spoons. Many shakers, but made it in with 3 keepers, biggest 9+ lbs. Just stayed in the area right around the ferry lanes. Let first one go because I wasn't exactly sure of the length limit and couldn't find my tape, only to regret it later when I found tape. Oh well... still great day.
Bummed about the prawns though. 8 traps down only 31 prawns (although they were nice ones). First time in many years I have had that poor of a showing at Entrance. More used to 200+. Crab gods were good to us though, getting 5 keepers. Back at home, while we cleaned & packaged fish, Queen did up the prawns, crab and a few clams from Friday for a real feast. Excellent experience for my friend from Calgary.

Back