Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

took the family out for a day of crabbing and prawning yesterday. Beauty day out there. Did really good on the crab but haven't been able to dial in on the prawns this year, can't believe some of the spots that aren't producing prawns right now. Probably get out after the springs next week.

took the family out for a day of crabbing and prawning yesterday. Beauty day out there. Did really good on the crab but haven't been able to dial in on the prawns this year, can't believe some of the spots that aren't producing prawns right now. Probably get out after the springs next week.

Sounds like a nice outing mr killer. It sure looked like great weather all weekend.

Im heading out for tomorrows low and am going to poke around winchelsea just to the north of the fingers. Will let you know.

Im heading out for tomorrows low and am going to poke around winchelsea just to the north of the fingers. Will let you know.

Kelly

If you run through the gap by Winchelsea at a higher tide, watch where the Navy mooring buoy @ the west entrance should be. I it is submerged in higher water.

"P-1571(2011) STRAIT OF GEORGIA - WG

Activated:1638 03 Nov 2011
The yellow spherical navy buoy in position:

49 17.521N 124 05.709W (NAD unknown)

reported submerged."

When I reported it to the CG, they referred me to the above Notice and are leaving it to the Navy to deal with. Doesn't look like it is important enough to deal with any time soon.

Kelly

If you run through the gap by Winchelsea at a higher tide, watch where the Navy mooring buoy @ the west entrance should be. I it is submerged in higher water.

"P-1571(2011) STRAIT OF GEORGIA - WG

Activated:1638 03 Nov 2011
The yellow spherical navy buoy in position:

49 17.521N 124 05.709W (NAD unknown)

reported submerged."

When I reported it to the CG, they referred me to the above Notice and are leaving it to the Navy to deal with. Doesn't look like it is important enough to deal with any time soon.

Thanks Glenn. I just saw it this afternoon from the house so it must just go under at really high tides. I would not want to hit that!

Went 7 for 8 on legal springs but only bonked two. Hootchies 160-180 at Gerald. That bouy was Just barely under at a lowish tide and someone is going to hit it very soon. I'll send an email with pics. Tested out the new cam so will post pics later.

Went 7 for 8 on legal springs but only bonked two. Hootchies 160-180 at Gerald. That bouy was Just barely under at a lowish tide and someone is going to hit it very soon. I'll send an email with pics. Tested out the new cam so will post pics later.

Right on!!!:). Looking forward to seeing the pic's.

It was great meeting you in person yesterday and thanks again for that video software :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to meet you as well sculpin.

I finally got a chance to test my new cam out on the water this morning so might be overkill on pics. I will be taking a ton of video/photos this summer and will try to only post a few with my reports. If you like them and want to see more of the photos we took then give "BC Tough" a like on Facebook. Ill post them all on there as the summer goes on as well as some up to the minute reports.

EagleBW.jpg

Release.jpg

Salmonclose.jpg

sealion6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0641.jpg

This is the submerged bouy off winchelsea that is going to seriously damage a boat. It bobs just under the surface and the thing weights 100s of lbs so will pop a hole in your hull.

IMG_0560.jpg

I hope the navy is held responsible if somebody hits that thing - asuming it is in fact their buoy.

That notice is dated November 2011 we are now in April and still nothing has been done? Wow who cares about safety when you can be blasting whales with your sonar - way more fun.

Back