Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

was there ever a fishing derby for Nanaimo and Parksville areas ?... if not we should try to have one for this year, knowing fishing is not that great but it would be a fun thing for the local fishermen to meet up

Hey Bluesea

A couple of us tried to put an impromptu derby together in French Creek earlier this season but bad weather and lack of interest at the time kyboshed it. We're planning to put one on a bit later in the spring and we'll post everything here and in the meetings and derbies forum. Keep an eye out for it.

Cheers All,

Three years ago there was a fishing derby in Nanaimo...and, out of all the vessels participating...only one fish was caught.... I won a new Ace Line Hauler with that one fish! :)

The derby was put on by RVP and his web site...and it was sad to see both fade away....

I thought that the fishing was good in late April early May off Thrasher? I was thinking of making the trip there for Easter Weekend and stay at Silvia Bay but maybe I should save my gas and go some where else?

Thanks
Jac

Don't give up on Silva Bay to quickly. It is a nice place to stay and fish from, as long as you don't want to launch your boat there.
The last couple years it has been quite hot out front of Nanaimo with some nice fish being caught. Later April into early May saw a lot of fish off the fingers and I imagine a fair share from around Silva Bay. Personal best is a 28 and a 14 for a quick evening fish about 3 miles off the fingers. My experience from Silva Bay isn't good in the fish department, but the prawning was great.
We were part of the derby the Fishing Guide referred to and it was a fun day. My boat didn't catch any fish, but we bet on the boat that did and came away with a great prize. I think that fish was caught around Silva Bay, right FG? Another derby would be a blast. Anyone into getting one happening, I'd help.

Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine

Cheers All,

Out on water yesterday...2 salmon about 12 lbs and limits of crab...guests from Alberta
were thrilled. And the fish that won the derby was caught off Silva Bay. :)

I've fished out at Trasher rock the past couple weeks on the 16th, and last Thursday I fished around Trasher and then moved to Grande and trolled toward entrance on a flood. Haven't touched anything yet this year, I was using a 5' nightrider and a splatterback hootchie on the other side. recently heard the bait is small right now so the smaller spoons might be the ticket. With the herring spawn might be better fishing closer to town. Fishing Guide where did you get your 2 springs?

Cheers mr killer,

Caught both off the Waterfall ... 130' down in 130' of water (precision trolling) with one into the current and
the other against.... LOTS of fish marked....fish hit about 3.2 mph...

Went out yesterday (Fingers to Brickyard) morning . I thought at the timethat it was nice to see and hear a few boats out. Water was fairly flat early although by 2 pm it was roughing up. We dropped prawn traps off Neck Point and then dropped lines and searched for fish. Worked from 130 feet out, including a jaunt over the Humps and out another couple of milesstraight out from the Fingers. The only significant bait noted was between 170 to 240 foot - Clarke Rock to Neck Point. Very few fish marked and the only hit was on a Spackleback - lost it. No fish reported hooked or caught that I heard. When we went to retrieve the traps we found they had been emptied and dropped back down in slightly different locations. I suppose I should be thankful they didn't steal the gear too. They should be grateful we didn't catch them at it as it would have been extremely painful for them.

Cheers All,

The amount of 'thieves' in the Nanaimo area is unbelieveable! Last year I caught them at two different
times with my gear in a boat and had guests aboard to witness. Yes...it is nice to get your gear back
without losing it but a person should be able to drop traps and be comfortable knowing they will not be
touched! I now take pictures of all vessels who touch my gear and turn it into the RCMP. I will also
(as of this year) be posting the information on this and another two sites to ensure others know the bad
actors in this area. However, I am not going to personally intervene as the safety of my guests, myself
and my vessel are not worth a few hundred dollars in gear and a lawyer to defend in an assault charge.
It was interesting to note that in both charters in which we caught the thieves red-handed (literally with
our red floats in their vessels) my guests had to be prevented from boarding the vessel to administer their
version of 'frontier justice'. Perhaps I should have accomodated them? ;)

You should have given them the justice yourself, board their boat and throw their **** over the side, guys like that learn like that.

Was unsuccessfully launching at brechin on Friday evening (fuel line issues) and saw one boat come in with a 17lb white spring caught out off the fingers. While I was trying to fix my problems, several other boats landed. No other fish, no one with prawns either. What kind of boat do the poachers drive?
R

If I knew for sure who it was I would already have paid them a visit. I will lurk within running distance next time I'm out, complete with binocs and camera to back up anything else that might occur.

well it looks like a few fish are starting to show up. Free Spirit boated a nice 22 1/2 pound red fleshed Spring yesterday and played with a couple of others near Clarke Rock. Green, 150 to 240 feet near bottom.

Went out to the fingers this morning. Set crab traps and prawn traps...lots and lots of other prawn and crab traps..fished a few hours at the tide change then it really blew up...no fish for us and it didin't seem like much was happening for the other 10 or so boats out..

Cheers All,

The amount of 'thieves' in the Nanaimo area is unbelieveable! Last year I caught them at two different
times with my gear in a boat and had guests aboard to witness. Yes...it is nice to get your gear back
without losing it but a person should be able to drop traps and be comfortable knowing they will not be
touched! I now take pictures of all vessels who touch my gear and turn it into the RCMP. I will also
(as of this year) be posting the information on this and another two sites to ensure others know the bad
actors in this area. However, I am not going to personally intervene as the safety of my guests, myself
and my vessel are not worth a few hundred dollars in gear and a lawyer to defend in an assault charge.
It was interesting to note that in both charters in which we caught the thieves red-handed (literally with
our red floats in their vessels) my guests had to be prevented from boarding the vessel to administer their
version of 'frontier justice'. Perhaps I should have accomodated them? ;)

Try throwing out a trap with a heavy brick attached to it, and put some barbed hooks on the line with the pointy ends down towards the trap. Make it so that right when they start yanking the brick and the slack is used up, and put some greaseon the line in a place where you know where it is, so then when it slips, you got him. LOL...... This trick has worked for me out in Pt Renfrew, as there seems to be a certain type of person that keeps doing this...... maybe its the same guy doing this to you out here to you! Lots of Lowlifes out there that just can't think of doing anything else.

F&*k I feel for you man!

Back