'Namgis F.N. receives smolts for closed containment farm

Foxsea

Today, fish entered the 'Namgis First Nation’s
Atlantic Salmon Farm - the first land-based, closed containment
Atlantic salmon farm in Canada, and one of the first in the world
that will raise Atlantic salmon to full market size.

It is anticipated that the fish will grow to full size in about half
the time it takes in open net-pens; using 30% less feed; and without
the use of pesticides and antibiotics.

23,000 smolts were delivered by Marine Harvest
Canada. These +/- 100 gram fish will be in quarantine for 4 months
and are on their own “biofilter” which houses bacteria to clean
the water. Since this is a land-based, closed containment
“recirculating aquaculture system”, all environmental conditions
can be controlled and more than 98% of the water is recycled.

The solid waste is filtered out and taken off site as compost and the
overflow water will be disinfected before entering a dry infiltration
basin.

The Project continues to attract media attention as a result of its
environmental goals and because it is making history as the first
land-based Atlantic salmon farm in Canada.

http://www.namgis.bc.ca/CCP/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone has said it can't be done. Salmon have been grown in Recircs for decades. The real challenge is to do it and make money.

First real hurdle will come in about 2 - 3 weeks, when the ammonia levels get elevated.

Good luck to them. Hope it works out, and they are the first to make it on a "large" scale.

hope they were peeing in the water ahead of time to get the Nitrosomas and Nitrobacter built-up.

maybe they can make it work but i have no faith in them; they ran nimkish hatchery for years with ittle or no success; killes off a small run of sockeye; plus a few other diasters; mostly stupidity;l

For this enterprise to be successful, it has to be run at 110% efficiency at all times. Maximizing biomass gain and minimizing costs.

Lot of people watching this so I hope they do a stellar job so there are no doubts at the end of the production run.

As Sockeyefry2 points out, it will be very interesting to see whether this venture will be commercially viable. I had always understood that the problem with the on-land closed containment systems was that the high initial capital costs coupled with the higher on going operational costs resulted in a product that was not commercially competitive.

I hope the 'Namgis can make the closed system an overall success. I, and many others on both coasts, have been saying that most of the environmental issues that stem from open net-pen fish farming could be resolved if closed containment systems were adopted. Wild salmon win if the 'Namgis are successful. One the best ways to influence the net-pen industry to change course would be for the 'Namgis project to rear profitable fish. The feedlot argument that it cannot be done profitably in a closed system would then evaporate. Of course other issues remain but it would be a good start.

Two concerns that I have for the 'Namgis model, if it can prove out in practice are the issues of sourcing feed and of marketing a "farmed" fish. These are issues shared with the net-pen feedlot industry. Although the 'Namgis farm is projected to have better feed conversion, when scaled up will their model will still rely on biomass removed from the oceans for feed? This practice presents similar ethical and sustainability hurdles as that the net-pen farmers now face.

Part of the protest campaign against net-pen farming has been waged at the market level: advising consumers of the risks associated with eating Atantic salmon and encouraging shoppers to avoid it. Financial statements from the fish farms indicate that this campaign may have had some success. In four months, the smolts will move fom a quarantine tank. What if these Mainstream-sourced smolts are found to be ISA infected? Will there be transparency and full disclosure of the facts and the set-back to the project it creates? I hope so.

A year from now, when the first 'Namgis fish goes to market, it will meet an educated consumer that has been cautioned against buying Atlantic salmon. It may be a challenge to re-educate consumers on the benefits of the "new" 'Namgis fish. Will this market resistance impede the success of the 'Namgis model to the point where it is unproftable? Many people will be watching this project. I hope they can pull it off, in spite of the hurdles.

As Sockeyefry2 points out, it will be very interesting to see whether this venture will be commercially viable. I had always understood that the problem with the on-land closed containment systems was that the high initial capital costs coupled with the higher on going operational costs resulted in a product that was not commercially competitive.

Not commercially competative with what? if we eliminate open pen farms then everyone is on the same playing field. At least in BC. If BC isn't competative with other jurisdiction then what does that tell you...

Not commercially competative with what? if we eliminate open pen farms then everyone is on the same playing field. At least in BC. If BC isn't competative with other jurisdiction then what does that tell you...

It's an international market place and the Namgis will have to compete in the "open pen" market as long as it exists - regardless of what BC does in terms of banning the open pen fishery. Of course, the Namgis may be able to sell at a bit of a premium on the basis that their product is more "eco friendly" than the competition. Either way, it will be their cost structure and the market that will decide their success. (and, of course, the quality of their product)

Thanks Big Bruce for replying.

Steel,

Salmon Farming is a global industry of which BC is a part. A move to put the BC industry on land would mean a drastically smaller industry surviving on a few niche markets that may or may not pay a premium price. Ever hear of "Skuna Bay Salmon" that's Grieg seafoods premium niche market product. They high grade their normal production fish, picking the best looking and process it a little more fancy smancy, tell a little story to a few chefs, get their endorsement and receive a higher price. I believe it amounts to about 3% of their production in BC.

Foxsea, Good point about consumers being reluctant to buy farmed salmon due to the fear mongering regarding its quality and this having a backlash on the Namgis fish when it goes to market. Too bad this also affects the wild product as well. Salmon is salmon to most people in the States, and if Dr Oz says farmed salmon is bad, all they hear is salmon is bad, and they buy chicken instead.

Back