My turn with a floor replacement

FisherTim

I've had this 1992 Campion Allante 185 Hard Top for 1.5 years, good boat, but there were some minor details I wanted to fix, like taking out the rear seats for more deck space and putting in a fish box, but put it off.

So there was this soft spot I couldn't ignore any longer. Yesterday, I pulled out the boat and today I got to work.

I've removed about half of all the foam and deck I need to, tried to avoid the grinder as much as I could, but in some areas it was the only way. The Back deck was completely rotted out, due to the fact that Campion used plywood and then only sealed the top half with some form of resin, the bottom was like soil.
I think I'll get all the big stuff cut out tomorrow and then spend another day grinding, cleaning and sanding before cutting the new plywood.

This will be my first fibreglass project, and input would be much appreciated. I have 25 yards of 1.5 oz CSM and 5 gallons of fibreglass resin with ample hardener and surface dry wax. I want this deck to last, should I cut the plywood and then fibreglass it 360, so it can't rot, or would just sealing the sides and bottom with that resin be enough?

As far as the back seats are concerned, they are non structural, and I will post pictures in the morning with my plans for them.

The boat has a channel running along the keel, bow to stern. It's about 28" wide, and I will glass a fish box in there, about 2" from the bottom of the hull so water can still run along into the bilge.

I've also thought about adding a freshwater tank to be able to flush my engine and fishing gear, but that might be a bit too much on an 18'.

As I said, Pictures coming tomorrow, tips and suggestions welcome :)

Get one of these! I tried zip discs on the grinder but this thing is way cleaner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 126
I started replacing my floor a few months ago and after I get the stringers and everything else back in should get to the floor. I am epoxy sealing the underside of the deck plywood with two coats of epoxy and bedding it to the stringers with Sikaflex or PL and a bunch of stainless screws. Seams will be packed with long and strong and two layers of 1.5oz CSM and Gel-coat over the whole thing.

Could use a sheet of some sort of plastic??, that would be ample strength and thickness, it might cost 5x the price of a sheet of plywood but you would never have to worry about rot if your planning on keeping the boat for a while.

Im sure someone has gone that root before and might have done a write up on it.
Industrial paints and plastics should be able to point you in the right direction for it maybe

Back