MY SMOKER thanks to ironnoggin

wolf

So after a year of thinking about it and many conversations with Nog , and Inspiration from my late father in laws smoker I decided to build one for myself.I builit it in the spring since then i have made Hot pepperoni, Nogs Garlic coil Homemade Bacon, ribs and of course SALMON !!!!!!
After seeing many people on here with the recent post regarding smokers i thought id share with you what I did.
I built it with 4x4 cedar posts and 1x8 KD shiplap for the walls and cedar shakes to jazz it up and a tin roof side have fold down dampers with a fine mesh (bugs) . the fire wood stove is a air tight I got built 6 ft of 6" pipe dampers on both the stove and pipe in the smoker itself where the pipe comes in Have a SS cover in a bow to deflect any dripping from going back into the stove. its inside dimensions are 32" deep 52" high i figure it can hold about 100 lbs of what ever I want to do

Today i have about 50 lbs of Spring, Coho. and pinks smoking er up ....

Here are some pics. if you have any questions fire away

Attachments

• DSCN3434.jpg
    DSCN3434.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,801
  • DSCN3435.jpg
    DSCN3435.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,797
  • DSCN3436.jpg
    DSCN3436.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,802
  • DSCN3437.jpg
    DSCN3437.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,797
  • DSCN3438.jpg
    DSCN3438.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,799
Love the moose antler handle. A perfect touch refinement. Is the garden hose part of the design or is it jus in the photo? I was wondering if it may be some kind of cooling mister or something along those lines

No for the potato garden in the background LOL It smokes at about 130 and for sausages I open up the dampers a bit more and it gets up to 150 + nop problem to finish I open up stove door and it will get as high as 230 if i want to.
The moose horn was from a hunt we snapped off from snatchblock and truck hauling it out. kept it for use one day and found a "use" for it LOL

Looks sweet. What did it cost for materials? Did you use oven racks? I assume you control temp by controlling fire in box? Did you do anything to deflect/spread smoke and heat from the bottom rack?

YES oven racks hold 8 of them and Dave here:
the fire wood stove is a air tight I got built 6 ft of 6" pipe dampers on both the stove and pipe in the smoker itself where the pipe comes in Have a SS cover in a bow to deflect any dripping from going back into the stove.
LOL

cost me nothing to build as i had materials on hand from job sites

Nicely done-I like the ability to cold smoke and to use chunks of wood and even logs!! Well done!! Good eating!LOL. Mike

great looking unit, impressive. just wondering how low a temp it will smoke at for cold smoking (or have you tried that yet) I see you can get down to 130 but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be going over 90 for a cold smoke. also how long is your pipe? I have a bradley and am in the process of making some adaptions so I can cold smoke also.

Its 6 ft long i think all id have to do is add another section of pipe as the way it is now I get it down to 100 at the lowest. i personally am not a huge fan of cold smoke but it can be done just about to go take it off now ....Well here is the finished products with my maple glaze on top and here is a pic of the shield that covers the smoke pipe exiting into into the box notice all the drippings on it!!!!!

Wolf

Attachments

• DSCN3440.jpg
    DSCN3440.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,749
  • DSCN3442.jpg
    DSCN3442.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,745
Last edited by a moderator:
Well we have property with lots of never ending Alder everywhere so thats what i use and use a chain saw with veg oil in it very carefull when it comes to what i do.

Nice work Roy. Functional and looks very cool!

When I was a kid, my dad had made one from an OLD fridge with pipe leading to a barrel on it's side for burning.
It did not look as nice. LOL

Tips

I wonder how an mini bar fridge would work with a smoker box in the side, seems like it would be similar to a Bradley only not look as nice. I like the idea of making my own though.

I wonder how an mini bar fridge would work with a smoker box in the side, seems like it would be similar to a Bradley only not look as nice. I like the idea of making my own though.
The racks might be covered in some sort of toxic crap that's something you have to be very careful of.

I know one guy here who's done it maybe he'll chime in.

Ahh good point. I would think a fridge though would have to be somewhat safe, giving what it's used for, wouldn't want to mess around with that though. My vision would be to gut the inside of it, remove the compressor and refrigeration components, just use the shell and mount some racks in it from a small bbq or something similar, and add an exterior smoker box. Probably couldn't beat it for insulation either. As I vision it and think about it, it seems like more and more work though, probably not cheap when all said and done.

I checked into a old stand up freezer but like Dogbreath said the plastic heated up was going to be toxic.....was looking for a metal inside one to know avail.

thanks for the comments guys, BTW the salmon was sooooooo bad had to eat a lot of it to get rid of it LOL LOL

Wolf

Back