my next (last) project boat

Did you check the transom thoroughly for any rot? It will be a lot easier to fix before the floor goes back in.

Did you check the transom thoroughly for any rot? It will be a lot easier to fix before the floor goes back in.

Checked it thoroughly. Will be drilling out all the holes in the transom with a 1/2" bit, pound wood dowels through and glass them up. Just because im not sure what motor or motors I'm putting on I will be adding another 5/8 sheet of plywood and a few layers of glass to the transom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a weather temperature limit when you are working with fiberglass. My boat needs some attention and I would like to do the work in the fall/winter and have no inside space so it will be a driveway work area?

Don

Is there a weather temperature limit when you are working with fiberglass. My boat needs some attention and I would like to do the work in the fall/winter and have no inside space so it will be a driveway work area?

Don

No, not really. Just depends on how much hardener you put in, and you can always use space heaters

Installed drain tubes in the stringers to let any water out that finds its way under the floor. It's all glued, screwed and glassed with 2 layers of 12oz matt
IMG_1865_zps8e4b1fb4.jpg

IMG_1864_zps38b4ea1e.jpg

IMG_1863_zpsd7e55ac0.jpg

Since the one side is done I was really curious to see what the other stringers looked like. I've smacked it with a hammer from front to back and it sounded really good but you never know till you cut it open and take a look. Turns out they are both in great shape,looked all the way up to the bow with a flashlight. Absolute bonus, saves me a huge amount of work
IMG_1867_zpse989b39f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These Hourstons are well built boats, I just pulled the swim grids off mine and the wood inside the transom looks good, not even discoloured. Pretty good for a 30 year old hull. I just wish I was attacking mine as quick as you are. Looks good.

Hey Gary, the stringer looks good now, but wouldn't it make sense to replace it anyways seeing as though this boats a keeper. How long can they last?

Have a couple bulkheads glassed and ready to tab in, outside of the transom is glassed up. I took a pic to show how thick the fiberglass is on the hull sides, almost 1/2 inch thick, the hull bottom is even thicker.
IMG_1868_zps8c6ad219.jpg

IMG_1869_zps530437f6.jpg

IMG_1870_zps37c8efe9.jpg

Sweet. I have to say I love my 26 footer, with it's second set of 4 stroke outboards. My advice? Very small pod, as little flotation as possible, the boats are really meant for a couple 1200 pound stern drives in the back. Mine is light in the back which is great when you have 5 guys rush to one corner of the boat, but can be a little bow down running.

I had a full pod extension made for my 26ft Hourston with 1000 lbs of floatation. With my fuel tank installed amidships it has nice balance. Never needed trim tabs

Sweet. I have to say I love my 26 footer, with it's second set of 4 stroke outboards. My advice? Very small pod, as little flotation as possible, the boats are really meant for a couple 1200 pound stern drives in the back. Mine is light in the back which is great when you have 5 guys rush to one corner of the boat, but can be a little bow down running.

What motors do you have? And what kind of mph, gph are you getting?

Back