'Must Have' Options for Boat Build?

Fishin'Zinn

Trying to help out with a new custom build on a 22' Hard-Top aluminum... Some input would be very helpful from you guys with more experience on the water than me. Refitted a boat before, but could always use advice - Basically what would be your personal absolute 'must have' options on a new boat built if you could make it happen (with some budgetary concerns in mind).

Any suggestions welcome - Some things I can think of besides the basics:

- Self bailing deck (already done)
- 1/4" Hull
- Good washdown pump/system
- Decent Chartplotter/finder (obviously), NMEA 2000 networked, Radar, etc
- LED lights, fore/aft/deck lights
- Blue Seas ACR system
- Rod storage inside on roof
- Rocket launchers
- Roof rack for Kayaks, etc
- Sleeping provisions
- Anchor box
- Fish box

** Rear steering helm. Something I'd definitely want, but this is where we start to add major expense, maybe no kicker/engine controls, just a helm for trolling?

Cheers!

radars a must if your going to be out in the fog... think you might have it listed.
glad to see you have blueseas acr system listed.
mounts for downriggers, and electrical hookup.
trim tabs possibly?
good vhf system and antenna.
I have sirius sat radio now... not sure how I did without it in the past. it's pretty nice to have. has lifetime subscription so no monthly fees...
separate backup bilge pump is a good option and high water alarm.
cabin heater
make sure hull has tabs welded on for anodes (aluminum alloy zincs)
just a few things off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Fresh water tank for washdown. Even 10 gallons is more than enough for day trips. Have a valve or a quick connect fitting that allows fresh or salt water through the same pump - if possible. Most of us use saltwater wash downs, but I switched to freshwater this season and would never go back.
Stosh

Cup holders, at least 4.

A small station or spot for garbage collection.

Secure mounting for lead cannonballs, close proximity to the riggers, with space for at least one spare.

A secure place to store your net while in transport or fishing.

Can never have too many bilge pumps.

Adding 3 ft of length and a foot of beam would be my first "must have"

Yeah no kidding... I fully agree with that one. It's not my boat, nor 'dream boat'. Compromises suck eh ;)

Luckily don't need any bilge pumps (fully sealed self bailing deck!) - Below deck is 1" Hand pump for the transom/hull if any water somehow makes it in there...

Cup holders!!! Thank you for that. Good suggestions, got most of them I think! - I'm trying to think outside the box here too

Last edited:
wider beam for sure.. cabin forward as far as possible, foreword slope windows, spring or air ride seats..and as short of pilot house as possible.. dance floor is where its at.. been thinkin of choppin mine!

reverse chines for stability and fuel efficiency..and bow combing for those rough days, bump rail down the sides..

and wipers!!

man i would love to build a parker style in alu....

Last edited:
Yeah no kidding... I fully agree with that one. It's not my boat, nor 'dream boat'. Compromises suck eh ;)

Luckily don't need any bilge pumps (fully sealed self bailing deck!)

Cup holders!!! Thank you for that. Good suggestions, got most of them I think! - I'm trying to think outside the box here too
Not to be negative but what if you bang into something and cause a leak in your fully sealed deck, or is their no void space between the deck and keel?. Never hurts to have a little redundancy built in. Bet the Titanic builders wished they'd said that lol.

auto pilot, with wireless remote

I didn't need it with the centre console
It's just really nice if you out back with a fish on, my remote is the size of a keyless entry fob and hangs around my neck all the time I'm out,

Definitely forward slope windows with good overhang. Gives much more space in the cabin and allows you to be closer to the window . Less direct sun in the cabin so not as hot. Less rain and spray on the windows too. Plus gives you a large cabin top in case you want a dinghy up there.
I would add a diesel heater. Pretty nice on a cool morning.
If it fits in your design a transom door would be nice too.

Trim tabs and suspension seats and transom door. as for the comments about adding beam that not the important part it's the width of the bottom that counts. Lots of boat have a 6' bottom and a 8' beam the bottom and floor is where u can get the space. If u get a 8'6" beam go with a 8' bottom this will make the sides more vertical and more room inside the boat.

Put the bilge pumps in. Water getting where it shouldn't be is not an if, but when. The cost is minimal for the peace of mind. If the pump comes on and you see water exiting from that through hull it potentially alerts you to a problem before it becomes a major concern when you are vulnerable...like offshore.

make sure you get some of those foamy beer (er, pop) cozys also and keep them onboard. those things are priceless. and make sure the cup holders will fit with them... and get them with different designs or colours so people know who's is who's... write your name on it if you have to... lol.

Cozy_BeerQuotes1_Cans_Front_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Back