MR2LA VS MR3 help buying a new reel

agabrysh

i have a mr3 now and does the standard mr3 creep creep creep when fishing. thats the only down side to it.

does a mr2la do this ? i have never fished with one?

any other suggestions ? i have a trophy which is good but no islander.

I have a number of MR3's. Some creep, and some don't unless under a lot of drag. The simple solution is to install a Creep Keeper on the rigger. Use a standard Scotty release clip with a short length of 150 lb test mono with a small tackle clip on the end. Wrap the line around the boom and clip it in place not far above the reel. You can make it longer or shorter depending on the number of wraps. Then clip the line coming off the the reel into the Scotty release clip and the reel will no longer creep. When you get a fish on, forget about the keeper (release clip) and just grab the rod out of the rod holder like normal. The keeper (release clip) will pull off and you are ready to play the fish.

I have a number of MR3's. Some creep, and some don't unless under a lot of drag. The simple solution is to install a Creep Keeper on the rigger. Use a standard Scotty release clip with a short length of 150 lb test mono with a small tackle clip on the end. Wrap the line around the boom and clip it in place not far above the reel. You can make it longer or shorter depending on the number of wraps. Then clip the line coming off the the reel into the Scotty release clip and the reel will no longer creep. When you get a fish on, forget about the keeper (release clip) and just grab the rod out of the rod holder like normal. The keeper (release clip) will pull off and you are ready to play the fish.
You buy a $500 reel and then have to buy a line creeper. Just don’t get the attraction

You buy a $500 reel and then have to buy a line creeper. Just don’t get the attraction

I do! Locally made. But saying that I believe Islander is taking full advantage of the Islander preference many have. Comes down to smart business really!

Some one is making a lot of dough off those reels..

i have heard a lot of people switch to the half price amundsen and that is a serious consideration after owning the mr3 creep. once the fish is on i love it but the constant adjusting drives me nuts. i was hoping the mr2la didnt do this

Don’t get me wrong they are beautiful reels. At $500 there should be no issues.

HEEEEEEEERE we go again! :rolleyes:

I'll take a bit of creep with a FAR superior playing action over the Amundsen any day. The $$$ savings is negligible over the years of use you should be getting out of them.

i have heard a lot of people switch to the half price amundsen and that is a serious consideration after owning the mr3 creep. once the fish is on i love it but the constant adjusting drives me nuts. i was hoping the mr2la didnt do this
The reason these reels creep is the cork drag. Both the MR2LA and the MR3 have cork drags. If you want a reel that wont creep, get one with a carbon fiber disc drag, or winch down on your cork drags after you set your gear. The TR3 and TMX5 both have carbon disc drags as far as I know. The TMX5s are great, I own 3. I have never personally had a problem with them, but one of my guide friends (who loves to slacken the drag right off to lower the gear if theres no freespool) did just that and kinda screwed one up. I have 2 more so Ive been too lazy to take it apart and fix it yet, but its on the to-do list. Im pretty hard on my reels, I leave the drag engaged when I set the gear, I let guests use them, I dont rinse them off unless they get dunked in salt water, and I have literally never had a problem with any of the 3 Ive owned until Jonah tried to add a freespool option.

I havent tried the TR3 yet so I cant say for sure, but if the prices were similar I would probably buy TR3s to support local business, and Islander does make quality product. As it stands now, I can buy almost 3 TMX5s for the price of 1 TR3.

I had my TMX5s on my boat at the lodge, and all but one guest prefered the TMX5s to the MR2s and MR3s. The one guy who didnt owns an Islander and fishes the Vedder with it so he might be slightly biased. His son preferred the TMX5s!

I liked my MR2la, it did creep when fishing deep tho. Also went through 3 bearings in 2 seasons for some reason. Sold it for more than the cost of my new tmx5, great reel. No creep and good feel, but i miss the freespool option. Next time out will be trying Abu's new moocher, see how that goes...

Make sure you keep the drag backed off when not in use. It helps the cork to spring back and reduces creep when you're in the heat of battle. You gotta service and treat Islanders right to get them to perform. They are high performance art. Treat them right and they don't creep.

Make sure you keep the drag backed off when not in use. It helps the cork to spring back and reduces creep when you're in the heat of battle. You gotta service and treat Islanders right to get them to perform. They are high performance art. Treat them right and they don't creep.
This ^^^^

i have a mr3 now and does the standard mr3 creep creep creep when fishing. thats the only down side to it.

does a mr2la do this ? i have never fished with one?

any other suggestions ? i have a trophy which is good but no islander.

Get rid of those knuckle dusters altogether, get a Penn or Shimano levelwind and never look back!

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/islander-mr3-line-creep.62992/

I posted this way back. Same principles apply. These are precision reels and thus require ongoing maintenance and care for them to function optimally. Another thing not noted in my original post is to make sure the drag is left ON while rinsing the reels (especially the ported reels). Failure to do so will allow water to come into contact with the cork/oil/graphite powder face of the drag and create a potentially uneven distribution or lack of oil/graphite all together. Also, once water is introduced onto that surface it hangs around for a while. Take your MR3s apart and see if there is any moisture. Another contributing factor to line creep in these reels is if any grease from the main bearing gets on the cork and isn’t cleaned properly. It will affect the absorption rate/friction of the oil on that surface resulting in line creep/surging.

Proud to fish a product like Islander that is made in our own back yard.

Hope this helps.

At nootka one year, an American once said to me, " I'm dumbfounded you canadian's don't like using the mechanical advantage?" I chuckled and said I prefer the fight alot better than turning a winch handle :)

Sold both my islanders and now have a set of four TMX5s. Awesome reels for the price! I've only ha the clicker spring break on one.

At nootka one year, an American once said to me, " I'm dumbfounded you canadian's don't like using the mechanical advantage?" I chuckled and said I prefer the fight alot better than turning a winch handle :)

IMO not a ton of skill involved when you can reel while the salmon is running simultaneously. You may as well rig up downrigger with bait and use that :D. It's a preference thing so to each their own.

I started a thread last year comparing mooching reels. I bought an amundson from a guy on this forum and he got me a good deal for the new TMX5. It looks slick, and requires little maintenance. No creep and smooth drag. Love it! Not bashing Islanders at all, my fishing buddy has one and we use the TMX5 on one side, and MR2 on the other. Won't lie, i like the way the MR2 feels when the fish runs and it's quieter than the amundson, but creep is an issue for the MR2.. For the money, i'd buy another TMX5.

Back