Motor hiccups and loses electrical power

I am experiencing a weird issue where the boat runs fine for a while but sometimes when I stop and then try and go again, the boat sort of hiccups and wants to die but then goes again fine. During the hiccups all my electrical devices shut off like my fish finder. This has just started to happened. I just got the boat back from servicing to replace the trim solenoid, not sure if that's related. Also after the servicing my speedometer doesn't work now...

Boat is a '98 Sea Ray with a 5.0 throttle body Mercruiser.

Oh man if your from the mainland there is a ton of shops here that have no clue what they are doing. I would be phoning them first thing Tuesday morning

Had the exact same issue last summer. It was bad terminal connections. Disconnected everything, scrubbed everything with wire brushes, dielectric grease all connections, boom.

Had the exact same issue last summer. It was bad terminal connections. Disconnected everything, scrubbed everything with wire brushes, dielectric grease all connections, boom.

Good idea. I'll check the connections tomorrow and clean everything up. Hopefully it's as simple as that.

My neighbor used to run I/O powered bow pickers in AK - said the only way to keep all that I/O related stuff reliable was to pull the engines & store them indoor heated in the winter.

Sounds like a undervoltage condition. When the motor drops out the voltage does as well. I would look at connections but the batteries as well because they should be able to boost on the dip.

Ya I thought it was a battery issue as well initially. Got that tested first and it was in really good shape, so then I went back to the connections and it hasn't missed a beat yet.

I think it was the battery connections. I took them off, cleaned the connectors with a wire brush and sprayed post cleaner on everything. Tighten it was up really good and it hasn't missed a beat since. Hopefully it's just that and nothing more major.

Thanks for the tips!

Back