More salmon-farms in the Clayoquot?

Little Hawk

Thanks again to Rafe for forwarding me this.

Almost laughable, except for the seriousness of the situation (Clayoquot-Chinook near extinction) is the revelation that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency..."is conducting a two-year surveillance program to get a more complete picture of the virus situation in British Columbia's wild salmon."

God-speed to my wonderful government! All our fish will be ******-dead by the time these peckers fess-up to the mess they've propagated here.

Harper sickens me.

GROUPS SOUND ALARM ON NEW SALMON FARMS!

Friends of Clayoquot Sound has sent an open <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FriendsofClayoquotSo/bca1792a13/0749ab640b/712f2e16 6b/FriendsofClayoquotSo/8ed7e90ffa/TEST/39508ad2fe> letter to Premier Christy Clark calling on her to postpone the decision on a proposed salmon feedlot tenure in the Clayoquot Sound UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.

The letter is signed by Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations and seven environmental groups including Greenpeace and the Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform (CAAR). Norwegian-owned Mainstream Canada is applying for a new 55.7 hectare salmon feedlot which would be sited near Plover Point along the shores of Meares Island.

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations declared Meares Island a Tribal Park 28 years ago.

Transport Canada has completed its environmental assessment of the application and has approved the new feedlot. Mainstream is currently awaiting approval from the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), and from the province of BC for the seabed lease.

There are many environmental and economic impacts associated with the practice of open net-cage salmon aquaculture, but of particular concern are a number of deadly salmon viruses. Clayoquot Sound was the site of a recent salmon farm viral outbreak, and two other types of salmon viruses have also been detected. All these diseases are highly contagious and can cause mortality in wild salmon.

Clayoquot Sound's wild salmon are in serious trouble.

Despite the abundance of pristine salmon habitat, its salmon runs (especially Chinook) are in dramatic decline, with some now being counted in the tens, rather than in the tens of thousands.

Clayoquot already has 20 salmon farm sites.

No wild salmon population anywhere in the world has thrived in close proximity to open net-cage salmon farms.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is conducting a two-year surveillance program to get a more complete picture of the virus situation in British Columbia's wild salmon. (WTF?)

The Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River (Cohen Commission) is scheduled to release its findings September 30. Justice Cohen's recommendations may well affect how salmon farming is being conducted in B.C. The signatories to the letter are calling on Premier Christy Clark to not issue the seabed lease for Plover Point, at least until the CFIA has completed its study and the Cohen Commission recommendations have been incorporated into management regimes.

Will you stand with us for wild salmon? You can help.

Please sign this petition <http://cts.vresp.com/c/?FriendsofClayoquotSo/bca1792a13/0749ab640b/593fe234 21> and ask your friends to sign.

[video]http://bcove.me/j8thd4o2

Wait for it (right at the end) Those pesky wild salmon

Weird? Works over here.
Try on the check site. It was from last night and they blame the new Tofino IHN outbreak on the wild fish

Hi there, I'm new here and I'm up for some good discussion. I know some posters here will be passionate about the topic of salmon farming and so am I. I will always try and keep my comments respectful, not personal and on-topic.

I work in aquaculture but I also love sport fishing. I don't see a conflict between the two.

So on to the topic!

What's so hard to understand or believe about the fact that IHN comes from wild fish? They carry it naturally. This has been known since scientists first identified the virus in 1953. The ocean is full of diseases and viruses, this is one of them. In this case, wild fish carrying the virus passed it on to farmed Atlantic salmon, which don't have a natural resistance to it.

Some more interesting science. Back in 1993 scientists put Atlantics, Chinooks and Sockeye together in a tank and deliberately infected them with IHN to see what would happen. They did two types of tests, one where they let them swim around in infected seawater and another where they injected the virus right into 10 fish and let them swim around with other uninfected fish.

In all the tests, none of the Chinook died and only 5/80 sockeye died.

Here's the study: http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/16/d016p111.pdf

Yes the Chinook in Clayoquot are in trouble but that's largely because people have been fishing them heavily for decades, and because logging destroyed a lot of their habitat in the 1960s.

Fish farms are like feedlots they concentrate the problems that all fish have in a group of locations where migrating fish are forced to swim these areas. The tides and currents would normally flush the excretions of the fish in an area and keep it clean the large concentration of farmed fish in an area leave too much for the tide to flush thus the accumulation of disease carrying matter. Just look at humans for a comparison, when disasters occur in an area what disease pops up?
They do not belong in the waters of our coasts. Even if landlocked problems will arise.

Hi there, I'm new here and I'm up for some good discussion. I know some posters here will be passionate about the topic of salmon farming and so am I. I will always try and keep my comments respectful, not personal and on-topic.

I work in aquaculture but I also love sport fishing. I don't see a conflict between the two.

So on to the topic!

What's so hard to understand or believe about the fact that IHN comes from wild fish? They carry it naturally. This has been known since scientists first identified the virus in 1953. The ocean is full of diseases and viruses, this is one of them. In this case, wild fish carrying the virus passed it on to farmed Atlantic salmon, which don't have a natural resistance to it.

Some more interesting science. Back in 1993 scientists put Atlantics, Chinooks and Sockeye together in a tank and deliberately infected them with IHN to see what would happen. They did two types of tests, one where they let them swim around in infected seawater and another where they injected the virus right into 10 fish and let them swim around with other uninfected fish.

Yes the Chinook in Clayoquot are in trouble but that's largely because people have been fishing them heavily for decades, and because logging destroyed a lot of their habitat in the 1960s.

S.F.S.

Whether or not the IHN comes from the wild salmon in the first place is irrelevant. The point is the salmon farms act as giant incubators for IHN and then release billions of viral particles per day into migration routes of both adult fish and young smolts.

Note the following:

Cohen Commission Technical Report #1 by Dr. Michael Kent on pathogen threats to Fraser sockeye states: "I designate the following pathogens as potential "HIGH RISK,: IHN virus…The IHN virus is well recognized as a lethal pathogen to fry sockeye salmon in freshwater."

This pathogen is lethal for sockeye fry! Yet we allow salmon farms to grow and incubate this virus in totally unnatural conditions and then migrating fish act as distribution vectors for the viruses into freshwater.

Dr. Kent also notes "… recent evidence suggests that there is variability in the virulence of this virus…"

I.E. the virus mutates! The salmon farms are an ideal place for this witches brew to continue to provide new pathogens on which we are gambling the entire west coast salmon ecosystem.

This whole salmon feed lot issue speaks to the vanity and hubris of mankind, wherein we are foolishly led to believe by ecologically ignorant politicians and accountants that we can "manage" a highly complex ocean and freshwater ecosystem and mitigate the effects of inserting salmon feed lots (note they are not "farms" as such) into that ecosystem.

It is lunacy to gamble the west coast salmon ecosystems, which took hundreds of thousands of years to evolve, in this clumsy and amateurish way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Might want to read up a little more on IHNv? Might even want to confirm those fish farms are dealing with type 1? Very well could be type 2 or type 3?

While all are bad, if those Atlantic fish farms are spreading type 3 around any wild BC Chinook passing that firsh farm will also be DEAD.

You also have three strains common to the west coast. Type 1 strains are present in British Columbia and Alaska, type 2's in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, and type 3 strains are present in southern Oregon and California. That study referred exposed those BC salmon to the type 1 strain, which also happens to be strain common to BC. Study results would have had completely different out come if type 1 or type 3 had been used.

"I work in aquaculture but I also love sport fishing. I don't see a conflict between the two."

Dude: look in the mirror and repeat after me - hypocrite!

To read a salmon-farmer using the word "respectful" is nearly laughable as an oxymoron, if not for seriousness of the environmental-carnage of which you claim to be part of.

You don't see a conflict because like all fish-farmers, you could care less about the mega-tons of pollution, parasites and viruses your disgusting industry inflicts upon our waterways with my collusive governments full-blessing!

Every penny you reap from this business is - 'SCAB MONEY' - born on the backs of our pristine waterways and our priceless Pacific fishery!

Not even close to being done with this yet... bring it!

Aw, c'mon quit holding back L.H., tell him EXACTLY how we feel about the ongoing conflict between the Fish FEEDLOTS and us real Sportfishing aficionados!
Jeffry Dalmer managed to look in the mirror every morning to shave, as well!!!

So on to the topic!

Salmonfarmscience....WHAT'S SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND.....
Your track record ALL OVER THE WORLD speaks for itself!
Farmed Atlantic Salmon and Pacific Coast Salmon DO NOT and SHOULD NOT be mixed.
Farmed salmon belong in contained dry ground pens with NO OPPORTUNITY contract or spread disease.
If there were NO PACIFIC SALMON coming into contact with your Atlantic salmon, you would certainly STILL HAVE PROBLEMS, but, not contracting IHN from wild salmon
Your solution to the problem would be not to have ANY WILD SALMON to infect your Atlantic Salmon.
You are no doubt aware of this story, repeated FAR TOO OFTEN in BC and Washington state.
Many people will not rest until your fish farms close down or go on dry land!!
SEE STORY BELOW...
Second B.C. salmon farm quarantined after tests
Farmers await further results to confirm virus
By Judith Lavoie, Times ColonistAugust 4, 2012

A second B.C. salmon farm is under quarantine because fish tested positive for a potentially deadly virus, but salmon farmers say the disease has not yet been confirmed and no culling decisions will be made until the Canadian Food Inspection Agency receives results from further tests.
The CFIA has taken charge of the Grieg Seafood site at Culloden Point on Jervis Inlet and a Mainstream Canada farm at Millar Channel in Clayoquot Sound that tested positive for IHN, or infectious haematopoietic necrosis, this week.
Stewart Hawthorn, Grieg's managing director, said preliminary positive results were found during routine monitoring.
"While we are disappointed about this result and will manage it proactively, it's important to note that this early detection and action is evidence of the effectiveness of our monitoring system and our responsible approach to fish-farm management," Hawthorn said.
The virus, which is not harmful to humans, is found in Pacific salmon but does not harm them.
However, it can lead to rotting flesh and organ failure in Atlantic salmon, which have no immunity. Atlantic salmon are used in most B.C. fish farms.
Earlier this year, 570,000 Atlantic salmon from Mainstream's Dixon Bay Farm in Clayoquot Sound were destroyed after the virus was confirmed.
IHN has not been seen in B.C. since outbreaks between 2001 and 2003 devastated the industry and resulted in the culling or early harvest of 12 million fish.
While fish farmers believe IHN spreads to farm fish from wild stocks, environmental groups such as the David Suzuki Foundation and Friends of Clayoquot Sound and anti-fish farming activist Alexandra Morton say the infections show that open-net fish farms should not be allowed in areas where there are wild salmon populations.
"Eliminating interactions between wild and farmed salmon, by shifting to closed containment, protects the industry's investment in their fish and the environment we all rely on," said Jay Ritchlin of the David Suzuki Foundation.
In a letter to Fisheries and Oceans, Morton said the heavy load of viral particles shed by fish farms could also hurt young salmon.
"If the farm is shedding trillions of viral particles a day, the wild inbound adult sockeye are passing this virus over their gills just before they enter the nursery grounds where last year's sockeye run are rearing as fry," Morton wrote.
"These young fish are not only the most susceptible to IHN. They could also become carriers, spreading it through the North Pacific to other Canadian and U.S. runs."
Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, said testing in Washington state shows wild fish have a high viral load this year.
Fish farmers would like to see more testing of wild fish in Canada, she said.
"We think there should be increased monitoring of wild fish health and diseases so we, as farmers, have a better understanding of the effects on the health of farmed fish," Walling said.
A vaccine against IHN is available and is used in areas such as Campbell River, where more than one company is operating in the same area, Walling said.
"Obviously, companies will be re-evaluating whether they should look at using the vaccine," she said.
Some companies have been reluctant to use the vaccine as it has not yet been proven in real-life settings and because it is extremely expensive, Walling said.
jlavoie@timescolonist.com

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/health...+after+tests/7042005/story.html#ixzz22b8IIizA

A vaccine against IHN is available and is used in areas such as Campbell River, where more than one company is operating in the same area, Walling said.
"Obviously, companies will be re-evaluating whether they should look at using the vaccine," she said.
Some companies have been reluctant to use the vaccine as it has not yet been proven in real-life settings and because it is extremely expensive, Walling said.
jlavoie@timescolonist.com

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/health...+after+tests/7042005/story.html#ixzz22b8IIizA

So, let me get this right. The virus spreads from wild fish to farmed fish who are ravaged by it. There is an extremely expensive vaccine but it is only used in areas where more than one company is operating. How scientific.

Poor logging practices and netting the river mouths did most of the damage to our local rivers

Poor logging practices and netting the river mouths did most of the damage to our local rivers

DOnt forget about over commercial harvesting as well.

I dont disagree that those are the orginal problems, and some of this still happens today.

However, Having giant disease ridden sess pool dotting our coast on major migration routes are not helping. MY problem has never been with farmed fish. If you want to eat that **** go ahead. I also belive strongly that it is it a nessecary evil because the worlds appetite for salmon is not going anywhere, and if it was up to our goverments they would kill every single wild fish to to feed those people if it werent for farmed fish. My issue is them in the oceans, they are killing our smolts. they are polluting our oceans, all for the sake of profit, most of which our country never sees.

Check out the third bullet in the Summary (page 2) of the following CSAS report.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/SAR-AS/2012/2012_032-eng.pdf

"Of particular concern, are wild populations originating from the south-west area of Vancouver Island. Wild spawner populations in Area 24 (Clayoquot Sound) have declined an average of 53% over the last three generations despite relatively pristine freshwater habitat and harvest reductions."

An interesting graph is on page 8. Figure 3 overlays wild Chinook escapements to Area 25, Clayoquot (17 salmon farms) with those to Area 26, Kyuquot(0 salmon farms since 2000).

The conclusions Repeats what the summary says but adds the following;

"Of particular concern, are populations from south-west Vancouver Island (particularly those from Clayoquot -Area 24) that continue to decline despite the fact these populations originate from relatively pristine freshwater habitat. The causes contributing to the further declines of these populations are not fully understood, although stakeholders suggest terminal harvest and use of near-shore habitat (e.g. aquaculture impacts) may be contributing factors. Other factors, such as continued periods of low ocean productivity, marine mammal predation and over-harvest in AABM fisheries, may also threaten the viability of these populations."

i am one with debate... but even debating the salmon farming industry is a complete waste of time. look at chilis farmed stocks - CRASH. look at Norways farmed stocks - CRASH

growing a foreign species doesnt make much sense. the united states ( who actually care about there native stocks) have banned commercial feed lots and fish farms... hmmm i wonder why.

i do personally believe fish farms are going to be the way of the future, but not like this.

I also belive strongly that it is it a nessecary evil because the worlds appetite for salmon is not going anywhere, and if it was up to our goverments they would kill every single wild fish to to feed those people if it werent for farmed fish. My issue is them in the oceans, they are killing our smolts. they are polluting our oceans, all for the sake of profit, most of which our country never sees.

Lorne,

Salmon feed lots are not going to save our wild fish for all the reasons you have stated. But it is worse than that, they are evil and definately not necessary, because they are not farms but feed lots. It takes from 2-5 Kg of fish to make 1Kg of feed lot salmon. The worlds oceans (particularly the Southern Oceans) are strip mined of fish to make feed pellets for this industry, thereby devastating the ecology of those regions. There is no "something for nothing" in this world. No free lunch. The salmon feed lots and the pellet industry that supplies them are nothing more than ecologically damaging conveyor belts for moving fish protein from the poor south to the rich industrial north. (And with a significant carbon footprint to catch, process and ship all those tons of pellets!!)
We cannot allow this industry to continue, for the health of our oceans, not just our local salmon environment, but for the entire world.

Well said Roland!

Over ten years ago when I first began to research and write about this industry, it was (if memory serves) the Dutch based giant Nutreco that owned and controlled the biggest piece of the pie in our planets net-pen industry. It was then that I made the alarming discovery that the same outfit - Nutreco - also owned/controlled the majority of the worlds fishing fleets and processors that supplied the pellets to feed their own fish-farms.

What a tidy arrangement. You get licensed to rape the worlds oceans and make even more money selling the product to your own fish-farms which bash-the-**** out of the ecology of each and every environment they operate in.

Lorne, with all due respect - we need more fishfarms like we need more holes in our boats.

British Columbia's fish-makin' machinery - our rivers & streams - did and could once again out-produce all the fishfarms together if given half a chance...

I believe!

Back