More Quota Purchased in Nootka

SerengetiGuide

I think things are far worse on quota front than anyone could of imagined. The desire to keep a big fish was ovviously overlooked when making the decision to put cap at 60lbs. but i dont even think anyone needs to discuss that decision as its so obvious already the consequences. So this is kind of obvious as they are flaunting it. But Nootka wilderness lodge may have quota or guests do. More likely they do as over whole summer Hali over 60lbs are coming in. Here is link to fb page...where 230 is hanging from scale.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...512.1073741828.100001760580572&type=1&theater

They are such pu$$ies they don't allow people that aren't "friends" to comment on their FB postings. Gee, wonder why? Something you can't defend? NWL, perhaps your position has shortcomings that you do not wish to discuss publicly. Funny that. As a business owner I could never imagine selling out in the manner in which you put yourself in. Surely one of your owners / employes is reading this and would enlighten us as to why you would choose to thumb your nose at the rest of Canada. Do you truly believe that just because you have a couple bucks at RBC that you have the right to take what you want while the rest of the nation has to play by the rules. Please enlighten us. The 99% of Canada would like to know.

They are such pu$$ies they don't allow people that aren't "friends" to comment on their FB postings. Gee, wonder why? Something you can't defend? NWL, perhaps your position has shortcomings that you do not wish to discuss publicly. Funny that. As a business owner I could never imagine selling out in the manner in which you put yourself in. Surely one of your owners / employes is reading this and would enlighten us as to why you would choose to thumb your nose at the rest of Canada. Do you truly believe that just because you have a couple bucks at RBC that you have the right to take what you want while the rest of the nation has to play by the rules. Please enlighten us. The 99% of Canada would like to know.

I'm no friend of theirs and just left some comments

So what, if anything, is being done by commercial guides and lodges who do not support the quota system? What about strength in numbers. What if the majority, and sweet **** I hope its a majority, of lodges and guides that are against Halibut quota banded together and as a group and said to those lodges buying quota that the industry wont stand for it. Hit them where it hurts. No more referrals, no more helpful fishing reports. Put a fishing embargo against those who support this system!
The common angler can do little, but if those guides and businesses which have the support of the communities they reside, stand up and say "NO" to quota.... Make your voice heard by those in your industry that are buying quota!!

As a non-quota guide Serengeti, can you say whether the regulation change has effected your bookings? How many bookings have you lost to Quota Boats, if any? And how do your guests feel about the under 60 regulation for this year? As a known slab killer, it is commendable that you have taken the stance that you have. Putting the resource over business is something it seems more and more are unable to justify. But something tells me business hasn't changed much so why the other lodges feel the need to sell out our Country is beyond me...well its not. Greedy B's.

the way they're selling us out makes my blood boil. if they get away with this, next it'll be the tyee..... mark my words.

Talk about having your cake and eating it. The restriction of 60 lbs everyone else abides by, gives them a longer season to milk their clients. Then they buy their way out of that restriction. Longer season, no restrictions,got to help their bottom line.

the thing is, many lodges are using quota but aren't stupid enough to post pictures of the fish online. Next year watch more lodges will jump on board because the richest clients will seek out the quota lodges and they don't want to loose their "whales" to other lodges. If it reaches a tipping point I will be all for a clear distinction between sportfishermen and commercial sportfishing lodges. Many of the lodges up north VI and charolottes are eating up our tac and then bending us over by buying quota.

the thing is, many lodges are using quota but aren't stupid enough to post pictures of the fish online. Next year watch more lodges will jump on board because the richest clients will seek out the quota lodges and they don't want to loose their "whales" to other lodges. If it reaches a tipping point I will be all for a clear distinction between sportfishermen and commercial sportfishing lodges. Many of the lodges up north VI and charolottes are eating up our tac and then bending us over by buying quota.

And where are any of the sportfishing advocacy groups on the lodge issue? Sending out stern letters?

bump, bump bump.... That's another independent angler getting thrown under the bus of big business. Anyone know how much quota has gone out to the rec sector this year?

And where are any of the sportfishing advocacy groups on the lodge issue? Sending out stern letters?

Thats what I'm saying! Where are the ones standing up for us!

SVIAC made a huge push on this website to gather support for the SFBC derby, so where are they? Here is a chance to gather tons of support and I've heard from none of these groups.

An update from any group fighting for this would be great. Any day now!

No I am not a member. With no updates to the website, and no news of progress given to its members (as HF said) in who knows how long....well, I'm in no hurry to jump on board.

It would be great to see an organization actually do something. SVIAC targeted this website to gain members...will we only here from them next season, when it's time to put a few more coins in the coffer?

Given all the quota kerfuffle, I would think this would be the chance to make a difference in the industry by gathering enough support with the non-quota boats, to make some sort of stand against the quota boats.

Would the real Salmon Savior, please stand up, please stand up....

No I am not a member. With no updates to the website, and no news of progress given to its members (as HF said) in who knows how long....well, I'm in no hurry to jump on board.

It would be great to see an organization actually do something. SVIAC targeted this website to gain members...will we only here from them next season, when it's time to put a few more coins in the coffer?

Given all the quota kerfuffle, I would think this would be the chance to make a difference in the industry by gathering enough support with the non-quota boats, to make some sort of stand against the quota boats.

Would the real Salmon Savior, please stand up, please stand up....

I have alerted some of the SVIAC board to this thread. Remember it is summer and many people are not around.

However, at the end of the day there is no "Saviour" FB. The only thing that will work is all of us standing together as one voice....I don't doubt you are concerned but it is disappointing that you are not a member of SVIAC and see the whole issue as someone else's problem to magically solve by themselves - saviour-like....

I am not a member either nor will I be of the SVIAC till I see positive action. If they are a voice that actually makes a stand on the behalf of the entire sportfisherman community and gets their point across then maybe I'd send them a check and support them. I am not saying they won't nor am I saying they have not tried. I hope they do stand up and make change for the future of sports fishing. But if I gave every sport fishing group and activist $40 I'd be broke quickly.

I wasn't picking on the SVIAC - they are a young group and likely still finding their voice but there are other much more established groups that are doing nothing. If this is such a big issue why do I have to make a post about naden buying quota for the public to know? These groups should be polling each and every lodge and publishing lists of lodges that are "with us" and those that are "against us".

And I'm sorry if the board members of these groups are too busy in summer to do anything then get rid of them, they're no good if they can only work on the issue in the winter.

bump, bump bump.... That's another independent angler getting thrown under the bus of big business. Anyone know how much quota has gone out to the rec sector this year?

Anyone know why DFO doesn't have a recreational quota activity page on their website like they do for commercial activity? http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contractordata/HALIBUT_activity.pdf

It seems to me that greater transparency would be helpful when it comes to assessing and addressing the issue as well as adding to monitoring for conservation purpuses.

Just a thought.

I am not a member either nor will I be of the SVIAC till I see positive action. If they are a voice that actually makes a stand on the behalf of the entire sportfisherman community and gets their point across then maybe I'd send them a check and support them. I am not saying they won't nor am I saying they have not tried. I hope they do stand up and make change for the future of sports fishing. But if I gave every sport fishing group and activist $40 I'd be broke quickly.

Agree with you here FA and my feelings exactly. x2 Poppa Swiss.
Englishman, what I meant by Savior is, if a group (like SVIAC) wants to stand out and shout to the heavens (sorry for the religious puns lol) that they are who we all need to stand behind as a group...then why haven't we heard from them on this matter. At this point, it seems the forum was used as a vehicle to gain membership, but as HF said, he has heard of no progress as a member sooooo.....not saying nothings happening, but no site updates, no forum updates, big news going on...you shouldn't need to direct them to this thread. They have many members on here who I would think would be interested in what is happening on the SVIAC front regarding the latest political debacle, Quota.

...This is now for another thread. Hopefully its not me bitching that starts it, and positive action on this latest issue is...

sell outs- stand up for canadians would ya.. i guess you get a longer season because of the agreement to release, but your deep pockets will keep the wealthy fishing outside of sports rules. awesome choice. start the boycott. no more referrals for you fools.

just sent this message to them.

Like I've said before. Their percentage of bc anglers is so low they could care less. Mainly Alberta and us and neither are or most likely will ever be all that knowing of these issues so knowing they can get big Hali there and not somewhere else is gonna make many of these non do it yourself places more attractable rather than less.

Back