fishingbc

Notes from a discussion January 16 between Graeme
Bull, chairman of the North Island Sport Fishing Advisory Committee
based in Port Hardy and John Duncan MP about the Halibut Allocation
Policy between the commercial and recreational fisheries

Meeting with John Duncan M.P. North Island

Jan 16, 2008

Re: Halibut Allocation

Prior to this meeting, I had given Mr. Duncan’s office my opinion on how the Halibut Allocation framework could work in B.C. My position is that the current allocation decision of October 2003 should be revoked. Either enough halibut is allocated to the recreational fishery so that we can function in 2009 under normal limits for the entire season or that the recreational catch comes off the Canadian all citizens TAC first and the commercial fishery gets the remainder (similar to how the Chinook fisheries are managed.)

To start our meeting Mr. Duncan questioned the halibut catch number for the rec fishery. He stated that it’s still the “Wild West out there” with no accountability of the rec halibut catch. I disagreed with him and showed the 2008 halibut catch for the rec fishery broken down by area as provided by DFO. I offered to provide him with the detailed 2007 catch data for the rec fishery. I also said that the Minister’s decision in 2003 was made before this information was known, whereby he could not have made a fair and equitable allocation decision. I told Mr. Duncan that the 2003 Minister’s decision stated that there was to be no in-season closure of the recreational fishery, something that happened in 2008. He did not believe me and said that he didn’t see how the Minister could make such an announcement. I offered to give him a copy of the 2003 announcement by the Minister on Halibut allocation to show that I was correct.

He asked me if I knew of the black market fishery for halibut. I said I was aware of rumoured FSC halibut being sold. He then went on to ask me what the annual limit for rec caught halibut was. I said there was no such limit, but that the average angler does not catch a large number of halibut per year and imposing an annual limit will not significantly change the overall catch. He asked about the annual limit of Chinooks, inferring that an annual limit should be placed on the rec fishery for halibut.

At this point Mr. Duncan made it quite clear that he felt that the rec fishery was catching too many halibut. He said that I would leave this meeting with the impression that “He is no friend of the rec fishery”. He was firm on backing the 2003 allocation framework giving 88% of the all citizens TAC to the commercial fleet and 12% to the rec fishery. He said providing additional quota to the rec fishery was problematic because it would destroy the integrity of the entire Commercial Ground fish Integrated Harvest Planning. This I completely disagree with and feel it is just smoke and mirrors.

I told him about the money generated by the rec fishery. I said we pay more in license fees per pound of halibut caught than any other sector. I said we generate more money into the economy of Canada per pound of halibut caught. I said that $30 million dollars of halibut is offloaded in Port Hardy per year by the commercial fleet. Most of this is validated and loaded on a truck and shipped out with no processing. I felt that the recreational halibut fishery provides more money to the local Port Hardy economy than all the halibut landed by the commercial fleet. I then asked why providing enough halibut so the recreational fishery can function and grow was a “bad thing”. Mr. Duncan had no answer sticking to his opinion that it would destroy the Ground Fish Integrated Harvest Plan which was supposedly world renowned for the management of stocks.

I told Mr. Duncan that if the rec fishery closes mid-season in 2009 that it would have very negative effects on our local economy. To this he answered that he was a hunter and for him to go hunting he has to go during a “hunting season” so there could be a “season” for halibut. I asked him when the halibut “season” was going to be in 2009 for rec fishers, because people are booking trips to the North Island right now. I again stated that if the rec fishery closes mid-season catching anglers unaware and that there remains a large amount of unused quota in the water (500,000 pounds in 2008) people are going to be very upset. He said that the general public would perceive this as a good thing, because of conservation issues. Mr. Duncan used the word “conservation” through out our discussion. I reminded him repeatedly that this was not a conservation issue, but simply an internal DFO allocation decision.

He said he was committed to making the “market based” halibut quota transfer mechanism between the rec and commercial fishery work. He said that rec fishers had lots of time to acquire additional quota. I explained that even with the assistance of DFO, the rec fishery was unable to secure enough quota last year and I didn’t think it was going to work in 2009. This could again lead to in-season closures for the rec fishery. He felt that it was the rec fishery that didn’t want to make this work. I disagreed with this for a number of reasons not the least of which is all the time and energy I have personally spent at meetings trying to make this transfer mechanism work. I explained the complexity of the situation. I told him about the issues with the government on securing a halibut stamp. I said that the rec fishery had sent DFO a list of questions regarding the “market based” quota transfer mechanism immediately after the 2003 Ministers announcement. It is now six years later and to the best of my knowledge none of these questions have been answered. I asked specifically how this transfer mechanism would work for average Canadians, guides and lodges. He offered no immediate answers, saying only that it has to work.

This entire one hour discussion with Mr. Duncan was almost exactly the same conversation I have had with many commercial halibut quota holders. I left feeling that I had not changed his perception of the recreation halibut fishery. It is fair to say that Mr. Duncan is not going do anything on the rec fisheries behalf to change the 2003 Minister’s decision, made by the previous Liberal government, and he is in fact fully supportive of the halibut allocation framework policy. I do think that he recognizes the very negative effects that an in-season closure of the rec halibut fishery could have on the local economy. One of his staff phoned me after the meeting and said that Mr. Duncan would bring forward my concerns of a possible in season closure of the rec halibut fishery with the Minister. While I appreciate this, I have to wonder, given his tone in this meeting how effectively this message will be delivered.

Take the time to send our "buddy" John an e-mail...

Duncan.J@parl.gc.ca

quote:I told him about the money generated by the rec fishery. I said we pay more in license fees per pound of halibut caught than any other sector.

The cost of processing a sports license is $100.

That would mean that sports licenses cost the government of Canada

300,000 * $70 (the $100 less the rough costs of a license)=

<center>$21,000,000</center>

quote:I again stated that if the rec fishery closes mid-season catching anglers unaware and that there remains a large amount of unused quota in the water (500,000 pounds in 2008) people are going to be very upset.
The commercial sector is allowed to carry over 10% on any given year. That means the 500,000 is already accounted for.
quote:He said he was committed to making the “market based” halibut quota transfer mechanism between the rec and commercial fishery work. He said that rec fishers had lots of time to acquire additional quota. I explained that even with the assistance of DFO, the rec fishery was unable to secure enough quota last year and I didn’t think it was going to work in 2009. This could again lead to in-season closures for the rec fishery. He felt that it was the rec fishery that didn’t want to make this work.
It was DFO's decision to only use 1/3 of the monies held in trust. DFO was able to use all that money to secure commercial quota.
To the best of my knowledge the SFAB refused to discuss any other ways of funding the "market based" mechanism and that is where the problem lies.

quote:I told him about the money generated by the rec fishery. I said we pay more in license fees per pound of halibut caught than any other sector.

quote:I again stated that if the rec fishery closes mid-season catching anglers unaware and that there remains a large amount of unused quota in the water (500,000 pounds in 2008) people are going to be very upset.
The commercial sector is allowed to carry over 10% on any given year. That means the 500,000 is already accounted for.
quote:He said he was committed to making the “market based” halibut quota transfer mechanism between the rec and commercial fishery work. He said that rec fishers had lots of time to acquire additional quota. I explained that even with the assistance of DFO, the rec fishery was unable to secure enough quota last year and I didn’t think it was going to work in 2009. This could again lead to in-season closures for the rec fishery. He felt that it was the rec fishery that didn’t want to make this work.
It was DFO's decision to only use 1/3 of the monies held in trust. DFO was able to use all that money to secure commercial quota.
To the best of my knowledge the SFAB refused to discuss any other ways of funding the "market based" mechanism and that is where the problem lies.

I appreciate Graeme taking the time to outline the details of his conversation with MP Duncan, who seems to show who he represents on the North Island.

I appreciate Graeme taking the time to outline the details of his conversation with MP Duncan, who seems to show who he represents on the North Island.

quote:Originally posted by fish4all

Find another forum to put forth your twisted pro commercial views....the process was put in place by the federal government which cannot be changed mid stream....they thought it would work, but it is nothing short of a joke...just like all of you posts here

quote:Originally posted by fish4all

Find another forum to put forth your twisted pro commercial views....the process was put in place by the federal government which cannot be changed mid stream....they thought it would work, but it is nothing short of a joke...just like all of you posts here

Your info and numbers are off WAY off fish4

Wolf

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Wolf

What numbrs don't you like wolf? The 300,000 is the number of licenses sold. The $100 to process came from DFO.

Back