mooching reel review?

I was wondering about that being as I just had my spool filled to the max with mono on my Mr3, maybe I should have gone with a backing first..haven't used it yet but I thought it looked kinda funny full of mono.

Of course use dacron backing, pretty sure thats what he has on there for backing. I would then splice in spectra then small amount of mono this reel will die if you run mono and fish it deep look how little aluminum is left. Running mono is like pounding a splitting wedge into the spool of your reel, ever notice how much thicker all the aluminum mooching reels are than fly reels..........This is because 300 yrds of mono produces soooo much force on the spool.
Thanks for the great advice,mikep. I can see exactly what you're saying.They are a very heavily ported spool.

Rather than using mono, try the Suffix 832 super-braid. I have been using it now for 3 seasons straight. Excellent product, and still doing great after 3 seasons. I do use a 50 foot tag line of floro-carbon which helps with the soft scotty rigger clips. This line performs like mono as it is perfectly round, so will not loop under itself like other braids. No stretch, so setting hooks in 200+ feet is no big deal, plus you can feel every move the fish makes.

makes sense, I'm hoping the dacron backing will help.
also letting a couple hundred feet out and reeling it in with no drag
will allow the mono to relax before spooling it back on.

The dacron backing will help but if you have 300 yards of 25lb mono, it will pull tight after drying. I'd keep an eye on the things for now, and if backing starts bulging out of ports, you know something needs to be done. I have an Okuma SLV 8/9 reel and have experienced some bulging and it is a little warped now. And that's with only 150 yds mono.

Last edited by a moderator:
good info mikep and searun, I was originally thinking Dacron backing, fill the rest with braid then finish with 100 yards mono...you fellas with experience think that is too much mono?? the suffix is interesting looks like a good idea/product

good info mikep and searun, I was originally thinking Dacron backing, fill the rest with braid then finish with 100 yards mono...you fellas with experience think that is too much mono?? the suffix is interesting looks like a good idea/product

I only put 50 feet of mono as a topshot and continue to shorten as it shows wear. I replace the topshot probably 3 times a season or as conditions dictate. Any longer mono negates the reason you switched to braid in the first place!!

I have never switched to braid I actually hate the stuff, sure it is tough but it doesn't stretch much, but im sure this full reel of 40lb maxima has got to go. I Usually run 30lb ultra green. but after reading about the mono shrinking and expanding now im kinda worried about my ported mr3. I also like the idea of having a different color backing on the reel to see if the fish is spoolin me out..if all this mono is going to cause damage to the ported spool then it has got to go.. suggestions??

I don;t think you have to worry about the MR3, it's got a lot more aluminum than a fly reel.
it wouldn't hurt to use some backing though which absorbs some of the contraction.

I have never had a problem with 30lb ultra-green, only ever have break-offs if it get's cut on my downrigger cable.this 40lb seems like a little overkill though.IMG_3539[1].jpg

Rip that stuff off Jeff and put 150 ft. of 50 lb. dacron backing, then install the 30 lb. test of your choice. I prefer Trilene Big Game.;) eman

my idea is as jeffy says, to allow some stretch, and also so the transition knot isn't running thru the eyelets every time the rigger is dropped.. only if a big fish makes a run...maybe im being paranoid???

jeffy i think you are ok, your islander is alot more skookum then the fly reels we are using...i dont think u need to worry about being spooled, you prob have a ton of yardage on that sucker...but as mentioned backing wouldnt hurt...looks cool too! lol

I have never switched to braid I actually hate the stuff, sure it is tough but it doesn't stretch much, but im sure this full reel of 40lb maxima has got to go. I Usually run 30lb ultra green. but after reading about the mono shrinking and expanding now im kinda worried about my ported mr3. I also like the idea of having a different color backing on the reel to see if the fish is spoolin me out..if all this mono is going to cause damage to the ported spool then it has got to go.. suggestions??

My 2 bits ...Jeffy, I run 100# braided on my 3, prob need to replace it in about 5 yrs or so. I then put about 250'+ of 40# Maxima, fresh when needed.
We've been using mono since time began. Stories of how mono is too stretchy, shrinks, weak knots, etc, etc is propagated directly by the marketing armies hired to promote braided line. It seemed to work fine for eons.
Don't get me wrong, I like braided line but, it's not the be-all end-all to fishing line. Personally, I like (need) a little "flex" to my fishing line when I have a fish on.
Also, braided line is not for the less expensive rods as it will wear out the eyelets on the rod quite quickly. Which is why I run quite heavy 100# mainline, it's easier on the eyelets, easier to tie, fills the core quicker, etc.

Call me old school but other then a backing I think the old tried n true maxima 30 lb will always be on my rod until I find a better mono, call me stubborn but I still going with the tried and true. you wont find braid on my downriggers either..:p

I would agree that mono is just fine on reels designed for mooching applications. The only time you really need spectra is on reels with light weight spools. I used to only put 100 yrds of mono line on my islander lx's and they still warped. If you albright knot and super glue you will hardly notice the knot going though your guides. I have caught so many tuna on the Albright connection its stupid and never had it fail. make sure you used 20-30 wraps of spectra on the mono and leave a small 1/8" tag of spectra off the knot. You can trim the mono right up tight the the knot.

Oh and fish whisperer its not all just marketing hype, I guess you still have rabbit ears on your TV and take pictures with 35mm film hehehe. Technology changes, things advance and heck yes mono will get the job done but man it sure does stretch and needs to be replaced often!

I thought that with the MR3's large arbor you didn't need to use backing......I just load mine with 25 #.

Back