Modifications you're proud of...

three blade prop and a hydrofoil, bottom paint , stainless rod holders, non slip floor, rear depth/fish finder, forward zincs on the hull,,
sea trials yesterday with a full tank of fuel and four buddies on board,, boat got up on plane right away and cruised without overworking the motor, and now i can get 5400-5600 rpm..

guess the 300 zuki can wait a couple years.. dont know if i am happy, sad or saved 24k..

I'm very proud of my bottom paint removal project, Bennett trim tab installation, switched the rollers for bunks and now my new to me Suzuki.
IMG_4020.jpgafter.jpgIMG_4016.jpg

Launching Wheels

I always liked this thread...maybe this strikes up a few more modifications..

had some time while the machines were running today...not parts for the big boat but for my 13' inflatable.
I access some old boat launches on the Fraser so I can't access them with a vehicle. I used to load up 400+ pounds of gear on a hand cart and Hulk the stuff down to the beach...after a season of that...never again!

Parts: 1 pc 40" (cut in half to make 2 - 20" pcs) - 1.25 stainless square tubing = $16
4 piece 1.5" ALU angle iron 8" long = $10
wheels from one of those stupid mini-motorcyles = $10 each (with ALU rims, what a deal! lol)
misc bolts/hardware = $5
Total=$51
getting to the water with my back in one piece = priceeeelessss :) :)

Attachments

• 0606121225a.jpg
    0606121225a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,129
I'm slow to get going but finally I've taken a few pics:
Tackle locker.jpg
I like having dedicated storage for tackle. The trays hold a few of the hottest hoochies, spoons, heads and hardware.
Kicker control.jpg
My new electric / tilt kicker is controlled from the helm, complete with tach to dial in the perfect speed that day.
Helm panel.jpg
The helm panel splits some of the distribution to the cockpit - fish box pumps, courtesy light and washdown pump. I recycled the old breakers to the battery management panel - no fuses.
Helm locker.jpg The helm locker was made from a Tempress hatch and a vacuum moulded poly enclosure (plastic dishpan) - total $58 plus tax. I put the critical safety gear, licenses, etc. in there.

I have a few more mods to post...

Attachments

• Safety locker closed.jpg
    Safety locker closed.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,085
Battery management panel.jpg
After reading abut battery management and automatic charging relays, I had to do it. No more fuses - everything is on circuit breakers now. No more switching back and forth between Start and House, either - automatic. The back of the board has the + buss bars for distribution to the breakers and sub-panel and the neutral common. There is also a neutral buss at the sub-panel to shorten the wire runs.
Galley Sink.jpg
The original galley basin was not quite useless but close. I managed to shoehorn a standard bar sink into the counter, without interfering with the fridge below. The sinks deep enough to get the glass under for those that add water to their Dalwhinnie's or Langevulin.
GPS - sounder.jpg
New VHF and GPS (linked). The old sounder screen was hooped and needed a west coast card, so I bought and installed and new GPS / sounder combo, that will accomodate radar (next year!) I will keep the old one for now and replace it for redundancy - and big sounder and small GPS when fishing.
AC Panel.jpg
Shorepower is nice but it was not included. I added it and a switched inverter for the gunkholing weekends.
Locker 2 open.jpg
There was an access hatch for servicing a battery and pumps. It now serves as a tackle locker, as well. This one is an off-the-shelf Tempress unit. ~ $110-

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about 8" X 14", using the smaller Plano boxes. Made by SSI, I ordered it online from Overton's for about $110. You can order them through Westmarine, as well. It's not great quality but I needed something almost flush so the fishbox lid could lift open past it.

http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/tackle.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
three blade prop and a hydrofoil, bottom paint , stainless rod holders, non slip floor, rear depth/fish finder, forward zincs on the hull,,
sea trials yesterday with a full tank of fuel and four buddies on board,, boat got up on plane right away and cruised without overworking the motor, and now i can get 5400-5600 rpm. guess the 300 zuki can wait a couple years.. dont know if i am happy, sad or saved 24k..
Some nice mods - what are the forward zincs doing?
Thanks, Jim

I'm very proud of my bottom paint removal project, Bennett trim tab installation, switched the rollers for bunks and now my new to me Suzuki.

I'm another Suzuki fan - great motors. How did you remove the bottom paint - and why?

My latest project is to get my spare rods and reels up off the v-berth cushions and up out of the way in no other use spaces. I took a 4 rod "Taco" stainless rod storage unit and cut the starboard mounting board making a 2 rod unit and two single units. I then tucked the 2 rod unit under a shelf lip across the bow at the front of the cuddy and then glued the singles on either side of the cuddy under the walk around section of the deck. Now all my spares are up out of the way and secured. If someone wants to lay down up there for a snooze they don't have to move things around to make room.

It's about 8" X 14", using the smaller Plano boxes. Made by SSI, I ordered it online from Overton's for about $110. You can order them through Westmarine, as well. It's not great quality but I needed something almost flush so the fishbox lid could lift open past it.

http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/tackle.htm

Ive really wanted a couple of these to keep the galley of my boat "fish gear" free. They would be mounted out on my back deck, but im worried about theft! It doesnt look like yours locks, or do they? Could they be made to lock?

Ive really wanted a couple of these to keep the galley of my boat "fish gear" free. They would be mounted out on my back deck, but im worried about theft! It doesnt look like yours locks, or do they? Could they be made to lock?

I think there is a locking version. Also the Tempress ones may be lockable.

My latest project is to get my spare rods and reels up off the v-berth cushions and up out of the way in no other use spaces. Now all my spares are up out of the way and secured. If someone wants to lay down up there for a snooze they don't have to move things around to make room.
I'm interested in pics of this mod because, with the younger crew, I'm always the one going for a nap!

I'll try and have a pic posted by tonight. I'm still waiting for the glue to set up on the port side one. (48 hrs for the 5200)

Tempess makes both snap and locking storage options.

and ya...48 hours at least on the 5200. must make one hell of a bond!!

Went out to the boat this morning and the singles that I glued to the cuddy had sagged. So removed them...the 5200 wasn't setting up. Acetoned it off and reattached using trusty Sika. The pics off the singles don't have rods in them yet as I want the Sika to set up. I won't buy 5220 again. 48 hours to become skimmed over and 7 days to cure. TOO LONG.
The first pic is the 2 rods bolted under the front of the cuddy (cut the 4 rod holder in half to make 2 rods)
Copyoftrailer006.jpg

The holders are a solid tube on the butt end and a spring loaded clasp on this end for the tip
Copyoftrailer007.jpg

This is one of the singles that are Sika'ed up under the walkaround.
Copyoftrailer008.jpg

Here is another project from last fall. I bought a small heater from Can Tire, then had a sheet of aluminum cut to the same size as the top of my cooler lid and bolted it through the lid. Then found that a 5 pound fire extinguisher was big enough to take one of the 1 pound propane bottles. Cut the fire ext cylinder in half, ground off the paint down to aluminum and mounted on the aluminum top. I now have heat and cold from one spot.

trailer001.jpg

trailer003.jpg

Today I found a gear bag that works to keep all my TC Life Preservers (except 1 for demonstration) neat, tidy and clean. Used to have them bungied across the front of the cuddy, but they took up too much room. Got this bag at Can Tire for $38.00

trailer011.jpg

I'm another Suzuki fan - great motors. How did you remove the bottom paint - and why?

I removed the paint with lots of labour. Scraping and sanding. I trailer the boat so I wanted a white bottom. Going back to gel coat would have been too costly so i painted it with Interlux high performance epoxy. I have posted pics previously.

Seems like I'm obsessed with boat mods -- fun yet very expensive hobby.

Here's a partial list from memory since we purchased our boat last spring:

- Replaced corroded Bravo III with Bravo III Seacore drive (upper, lower and transom assembly)
Kamilche-20110502-00013.jpg
Anacortes-20110520-00052.jpg

- Also added a 20Hp Tohatsu kicker and a Remote Troll bracket with throttle and steering control in the cockpit.
Oak%u00252520Bay-20110611-077.jpg
Saanich-20110621-00096.jpg

Removed all the internal carpet, and replaced it with click-lock vinyl planks -- way easier to keep clean and dry.

IMG-20111023-00012.jpg

Attachments

• Oak%u002525252520Bay-20111019-00004.jpg
    Oak%u002525252520Bay-20111019-00004.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 965
  • Oak%u00252520Bay-20110619-00091.jpg
    Oak%u00252520Bay-20110619-00091.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,258
Back