Moby's Fishing Derby 2016 Results

Salted

Moby's Fishing Derby 2016 (Father's Day Weekend)
====================================

We had a great turn out with 40+ boats. Roughly $6000 raised for the Pacific Salmon Foundation.

Biggest Fish was 21.4lbs, caught from the Pender Bluffs. Prize was $1000 for biggest Salmon, and an additional $5800 from the Calcutta auction. The winning angler bought his own boat in the auction - nice payday!

Everyone got a prize (love that $1000 reverse draw!), thanks to our sponsors and the fundraising efforts of Kurt Irwin (Salt Spring Reel Action Charters) who busted his a$$ to grow Salt Spring's annual derby for it's 3rd and biggest year so far!

**These numbers are from memory, not exactly right but close enough.

Sounds like a great event. Now that I know about it, maybe I'll plan on going next year. Family still has a place on Saltspring, but I don't go over that often anymore. Do you know the name of the angler who caught the largest fish. Just curious as I grew up over there, and I might recognize the name.

Apparently he caught it on a plug carved from a Banana, with a flasher made from a boot sole, on 100lb fluorocarbon, with a trout rod - hell of a fisherman.

I suspect my source my not be entirely accurate on his gear, ;) but pretty sure his name was Dan.

Last edited:
Was it Dan Reynolds.He is a hell of a fisherman, and I was wondering if it might have been him.

The one and only! Oh, and Tom Toynbee, can't remember which one did the reeling an who did the netting :)

Last edited:
Ya I kind of figured. They're both a couple of old buddies from back in school. I haven't fished with them since highschool. Both great guys. Glad to hear they haven't lost their touch.

Back