Missing Boat

Toughts and prayers for a safe return. Reading the paper, it seems that they left for the fishing grounds monday morning,and did not return yesterday? Only been missing overnight, just pray that they are safe on the beach.....BB

Lets hope they find them! Mayee not the best day to be where they were.

Looks like I misread the time frame. This is only the 2nd day. Hope there ok and on the beach or anchored with engine problems. I doubt a boat that small has a life raft or tender. Its concerning that they have a radio but no word from them.

Last night, I heard a prop aircraft fly over Tahsis heading toward Zeballos. I went outside to see what it was, but it was already over the mountain to the NW. That was at 11:45 PM. We never hear that over Tahsis at night because most are float planes restricted to daylight hours. I couldn't tell if it was a helicopter or a fixed wing aircraft - sounded like a helicopter, but not distinctly enough to be sure.

With this news, it makes sense now.

Let's hope this turns out well.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Well, it is now after 7 PM the following day.

I can't say that this looks good for the guys in the missing boat.

We know that they have a VHF - last contact was before 10 AM yesterday. Best hope, dead battery or other electrical failure.

If they are on a beach somewhere waiting out weather - why no radio contact?

I fear that the boat capsized or went down suddenly. Only hope is if they were close enough to shore to swim for it. Again, not good odds.

If I were S&R, I would send a plane up the coast after dark and drop some parachute flares about 2 miles outside the surfline. It would alert them that people are searching for them, and they might be able to set off their own flares to alert the searchers.

Last year, we picked up two guys off the bottom of their boat at Outer Black Rock after they had been capsized by a wave that came over the top of the rock and swamped the boat and threw them both overboard. They never got a chance to make a radio call. It was only because we had ventured back outside that we were able to spot them waving to us from a half mile away. They were lucky. I fear that these guys may not be.

But lets not stop looking.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Sadley things dont look so good for our fellow fishers, gale fore at brooks (the place where s#@#y weather was invented)isint good for commercial trollers, let alone an 18 ft open aluminum. Weather is calm today and fairly clear, hopefully a good search will happen today.

i'm sure fishyboy99 will chime in when the time is right. hopefully the poor guy is able to sleep these days. we all feel the pain when these things occur, hopefully it's not too late. one thing we all know about the ocean, is it's unpredictability.

This is scary similar to my experience in North Brooks in the late 80s in a 18ft aluminum boat doing live cod. Those waters are not a place to be in gale-force winds and the weather can be unpredictable there. We got caught in gale-force winds (forecast was for 10 to 15 knot winds) and could not turn the boat back towards winter harbour as it was just too rough. To make things worse we then got water in our gas and were losing power. We called coast guard and they could only send a helicopter. Losing the boat was not an option. We ended up riding the storm into Klaskino inlet and fixing the gas problem while waiting for the weather to improve. Needless to say that was our last day fishing in that area.

CBC TV News covered the story tonight. Lots of grim faces on the people of Winter Harbour.

From the look of the boat, I would speculate that the boat got capsized by a wave and went down without warning.

A 19' aluminum boat is a little too small for the west coast. I was out in a 19' aluminum Starcraft with an open bow on Friday and Sunday. Friday we stayed inside and did not venture offshore. Sunday was very good and we were able to hit the highway, but I still did not feel good about getting too far from shelter. If I'd had my own boat, (26') I would have gone further out, but not in this boat. The creepy thing is that we were "a guide and 3 guests in a 19' aluminum boat". Does make you think!

This brings me back to my prediction some time ago that our fishing regulations would cost lives. By forcing people offshore in the search for big Chinook, will they take more risks and will someone pay the ultimate price?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

This brings me back to my prediction some time ago that our fishing regulations would cost lives. By forcing people offshore in the search for big Chinook, will they take more risks and will someone pay the ultimate price?
jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg
Fishing regulations don't cost lives. Bad weather, bad luck, motor problems, unseen hazards, and poor decisions can cost lives. Safety should always come first. I just hope these guys are ok. Positive thinking and prayers for now.

I was fishing off winter harbour mon and tues last and it was snotty no doubt but I have been out with Qualicum rivers boats (in my boat) in worse. The comments I see about not going out in gale warnings make me realize the commentators have never fished Winter Harbour. If you don't go out in a gale warning you don't fish!! The gale warning usually applies to the afternoon winds. I was always impressed with the seaworthy ability of the qualicum River boats-so lets hope its a mechanical failure/dead battery situation and the guys from my old Sar squadron 442 in comox find them with a fish story to tell like no other.

quote:"It has a double bottom and it has 2,500 lbs. of foam flotation in it, so it's virtually indestructible," the Canadian Coast Guard's Marc Proulx said of the boat.

fingers still crossed.

I sure hope those guys made it to a rock somewhere and are eating mussels and collecting water in a trap as the fog is huge. Don't give up ever. Most guides are tough SOB's. Let's still keep a positive mind over the matter!

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

I have fished out of those boats a couple of times. Once before they put the tops on them and once after they put them on. Sure seemed like they were less stable with the added weight up top.
They are good boats though, no problem fishing 4 guys out of them.

Hope they find them. Anybody know which guide it is. Looks like Mike's boat is #2 from the pic.

"Shallow men beleive in luck. Strong men beleive in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

quote:Originally posted by FishRanger

Hope they find them. Anybody know which guide it is. Looks like Mike's boat is #2 from the pic.

Don't go by the photos - I got them off their website. Just to illustrate the style of boat in the event that anyone sees it.

Though any and all boats on or near shore should be suspect in a situation such as this.

Let's hope for the best.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Back