"Maybe that's where we lost them." - Reasons for Poor 2009 Fraser Sockey Returns

Fish-Hunter

http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/por.../capfeed/national/19415904.xml&CatID=National

Lack of food, ocean conditions behind poor 2009 sockeye returns: B.C. scientists

at 04:00 on July 14, 2012, EDT.

Keven Drews, The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - Juvenile sockeye salmon likely didn't have enough food to survive as they travelled in poor conditions through British Columbia's Georgia Strait in 2007, resulting in abysmal returns to the Fraser River two years later, a new study suggests.

About 10 scientists came to that conclusion after crunching fisheries and meteorological data, which the federal government began collecting in the late 1990s.

Their findings, originally presented to the judicial inquiry examining the historically low sockeye returns, have now been published in three papers in the journal Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science.

The publication comes before B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen is expected to present his findings into the issue in September.
"If you've got these years where oceanic conditions are unfavourable to food production you're really going to have trouble with the stocks," said Richard Thomson, a Fisheries Department oceanographer and a study co-author.

In 2009, only about one-tenth of the expected 10 million sockeye returned to the watershed, sparking the federally appointed Cohen commission to examine what caused the 2009 collapse of the Fraser River sockeye.

Numerous theories on why the sharp decline resulted were presented at the 21-month inquiry that wrapped up last November in Vancouver.
Thomson said scientists in the study he was involved in concluded that an "extraordinary event" was taking place in the Straight of Georgia, the body of water running between Vancouver Island and the B.C. mainland.

He said that when scientists began to notice there wasn't enough food in the stomachs of salmon, and there were fewer and smaller herring than usual, researchers formed an interdisciplinary team to tackle the issue.

"This team came together to try to understand how the physical environment could be affecting the fishery. And, you know, the herring was sort of a clincher, the fact that the herring were so stressed, and they're a food source for many of the fisheries."

Scientists focused on three related issues in an effort to understand what was going on.

Dave Preikshot, a fisheries scientist, and his four co-authors studied how long juvenile sockeye salmon were spending in the Strait of Georgia before heading out into the ocean.

"It appears to be at least 31 (days) and it could be as long as, I think, 52 (days) is the upper limit there," he said.
Fisheries scientists in the 1950s and 1960s inferred that sockeye salmon didn't stay in the strait but migrated through it without lingering, Preikshot said.

In the 1990s, scientists suggested juvenile sockeye salmon were in the strait from 20 to 30 days, he said.
Establishing the amount of time the young salmon spend there is important because fisheries scientists believe the majority of fish die early in life, Preikshot said.

"If that is true, the longer they are in the Strait of Georgia, the more likely it is that significant things determining their return migrating population also occur in the Strait of Georgia," he said.

Retired biologist Dick Beamish, who is also an emeritus scientist with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, tackled the issue of poor survival rate of sockeye salmon.

He found that while the Fraser River produced about 454 million juvenile sockeye salmon in 2007, only about 1.4 million returned in 2009.

"We think 2007 represented an extremely poor year for food production at the time those fish would either be entering the Strait of Georgia, or in the case of herring when the larval herring would first start feeding," Beamish said.

According to his paper, a survey fishery in 2007 noted a lack of juvenile sockeye salmon in the strait and the small size of sockeye that were caught.

The paper says coho and chinook salmon in the strait at the time were also smaller than in previous surveys.
A high percentage of them also had empty stomachs.

A common diet item for juvenile chinook and coho salmon, herring were absent from chinook samples and greatly reduced in coho salmon, the paper adds.

"We interpret this to indicate that young-of-the-year Pacific herring were mostly dead by July 2007," states the paper.
"A most likely explanation for such a basin scale event would be a collapse of the plankton in the Strait of Georgia that are normally consumed by larval and juvenile Pacific herring."

In the third paper, Thomson and his five co-authors, including Beamish, argued unfavourable wind and freshwater run-off conditions were behind the low food production in 2007 and the poor survival rates.

Thomson said data collected at the time found massive amounts of fresh water entering the strait, and the wind, which flushes out the fresh water, wasn't strong enough and blowing in the wrong direction.

As a result, he said, the surface layer of the strait became highly stratified, creating a shallow cap that was too shallow for good plankton growth.
"We had all these ingredients coming together that was limiting, we think, the amount of plankton growth in the upper layer," Beamish said. "So all of the fish stocks had relatively poor food supply because of this structural change in the physical environment in the strait."

Thomson said the conditions occurred at a critical time, when juvenile sockeye salmon would be entering the strait.
"We think that first year is absolutely critical to their survival because that determines how big and strong these fish are going to be to be able to handle conditions out in the open ocean."

Fish migrating to the ocean would have then faced some similar conditions in Hecate Strait, Thomson said.

"Now these poor little buggers, not enough food, scrawny, they head out into the ocean. Now they've got to survive out in the ocean for two years. They're not big enough. They don't have enough reserves. Maybe that's where we lost them."

So why don't they mention the on-going over fishing of the herring along the whole coast. More and more I think that we need to have DFO to lower herring fishing quota along the whole coast. We can restore habitat and build more hatcheries but it will be a waste of time and money if there is not enough food for all the young salmon to eat and they end up starving to death. I have talked to several streamkeepers that say the lack of herring and especially the huge biomass that is produced by the herring spawns (that coincides when the young salmon enter the saltwater) is a big reason (but not the only reason) for poor ocean survival rates and low spawning returns. Herring along with the plankton they eat are the foundation of the marine food chain. If we continue to mine it for fish farm food and roe for the Japanese, etc. most of our conservation and enhancement efforts will be in vain IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why don't they mention the on-going over fishing of the herring along the whole coast. More and more I think that we need to have DFO to lower herring fishing quota alonmg the whole cost. We can restore habitat and build more hatcheries but it will be a waste of time and money if there is not enough food for all the young salmon to eat and they end up starving to death. I have talked to several streamkeepers that say the lack of herring and especially the huge biomass that is produced by the herring spawns (that coincides when the young salmon enter the saltwater) is a big reason (but not the only reason) for poor ocean survival rates and low spawning returns. Herring along with the plankton they eat are the foundation of the marine food chain. If we continue to mine it for fish farm food and roe for the Japanese, etc. most of our conservation and enhancement efforts will be in vain IMHO.

X2
We were in Uclulet last week and spoke with the skipper of a local seine boat. It's out everyday harvesting herring. Would anyone imagine this as the very highest and best use of the herring resource, as contrasted to the possibility of having a thriving sockeye fishery, for instance? It's ovedue that we revisit fisheries (mis)management from top to bottom (of the food chain.)

ya'sure, 'poor ocean conditions'! why is this panacea explanation not ringing true to me?? each and everytime 'scientists' associated with agencies who have a significant dog in the fight point to ocean conditions, i just roll my eyes. there are exactly two variables we all have immediate control of: the most significant - over harvest; the second is plugging natural environments with hatchery zombies who force out and kill off the natural spawners. now if the food source is being overharvested, the actions that should be taken are pretty straight forward. have these 'scientists' put that forward as a recommendation?? well of course not, they would rather point the fickle finger at conditions that not a single person on the planet can measure. i call BS on these folks!

I wonder how many of the starving juvenile sockeye crossed a fish farm with bait pellets and lights on all night long.... probably tens of millions. Farmed salmon stomachs must just be stuffed full of salmon fry every year. Free food for the fish farms........

In 2006'(?) the outmigrating Sockeye(2009'-spawners) had to run a gauntlet of active salmon farms to get out of the Straight. I believe Alex and others testified to this at the Cohen Inquiry. If memory serves, many if not all of these same farms were fallowed the following year (2007') and the fish had a clear & clean passage out of the joint.

We all know how many of those little buggers came home in 2010!

Can't wait to hear the results of the Inquiry and to see how my gubbamunt' responds...

That's sickening if fish farms use local herring as a food source. Us sport fisherman need too look in the mirror too though we buy lots of forage fish for bait. At least the herring etc we consume is at a good profit margin I'm sure the fish farms pay next to nothing for the herring that goes into their pellets.

We are pillaging the ocean all around the world of its small life sustaining forage fish by the billions for a few jobs.

I've been saying for years salmon/fish enhancement starts at the bottom of the food chain.

during the late 196o and early 70 s the herring stocks were fished almost to extingwishing levels at that time salmon stocks were at normal levels at least to my knowledge herring stocks are well managed and stocks in gulf of georgia are at very high levels you dont have to be a rocket scientive to figer out what happened to springs and coho in the gulf salmon farms

The only reason there's a few herring around in Georgia Straight is because the jap herring roe market fell off in the last couple of years.

If the roe market was in "big buck" mode......you wouldn't see a single herring in the Gulf right now.

In 2007 there were lots of Coho around ECVI in late summer.......according to my fish log. Mostly wild , not hatchery.

But then again........if there's nothing for a herring larvae to eat....then it's not going to grow into a big herring or survive at all.

I can see how water conditions could have a lot to do with it.....salinity content of local waters at surface levels could have an impact on plankton production.

Water conditions/food availibility certainly play a large part up in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska. If it sucks up there....it'll suck here for returning fish.

The only reason there's a few herring around in Georgia Straight is because the jap herring roe market fell off in the last couple of years.

If the roe market was in "big buck" mode......you wouldn't see a single herring in the Gulf right now.

Can anyone say DFO propaganda? DFO old tactic - "General public only reads the headlines"!

Instead of the article being named, 'Lack of food, ocean conditions behind poor 2009 sockeye returns: B.C. scientists'

It should be called, 'Lack of food, ocean conditions behind poor 2009 sockeye returns: is DFO scientists poor attempt to continue misleading the public to protect "fish farms"'

Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science

Publication details, including instructions for authors and subscription information:
http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/umcf20

The Synchronous Failure of Juvenile Pacific Salmon and

Herring Production in the Strait of Georgia in 2007 and
the Poor Return of Sockeye Salmon to the Fraser River
in 2009

R. J. Beamish (a), C. Neville (a), R. Sweeting (a) & K. Lange (b)

(a) Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Biological Station, 3190 Hammond Bay Road,
Nanaimo, British Columbia, V9T 6N7, Canada

(b) Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 1520 Tamarac Street, Campbell River, British Columbia, V9W 3M5, Canada

Don't see any "BC scientists listed there, other than those working for DFO who are known to support fish farming. Before one believes that "article", they should start reading "published studies," including DFO's own "published studies":
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/oceans/reports-rapports/state-ocean-etat/index-eng.htm
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/facilities-installations/pbs-sbp/index-eng.htm

Interestingly DFO promotes massive krill, herring overfishing and then blames a mysterious lack of food for a fishing collapse. Nothing to do with fish farms. In fact, no mention of them?

I call BS to this report.
I'll be reading the studies to check my facts but POST said these smolts made it out of the SOG faster then DFO estimated. So when DFO did there test seines in the SOG the were long gone. That's why Beamish had low numbers and assumed they were all dead before they passed Campbell River. POST results point to them vanishing after Port Hardy.
My judgement is the smolts caught a virus near CR, then swam past PH, then died in the ocean.

http://www.postcoml.org/

Glad to see you back Charlie. Looking forward to seeing something of substance soon.

Well I am glad that you all are seeing this "report" of "findings" the same way that I seen it after reading it the other day. Total BS!!!

A whole bunch of butt covering propoganda.

Ironic that they didn't mention the presence of the fish farms or the impacts that they would have had upon the survival rate of the fish. They figured out that the friggin wind was blowing the wrong direction and mentioned that, but no mention of the damned fish farms???? Makes one a bit curious why would that not get mentioned.

The fact that this article made it to the papers, I guess suggests that DFO put their OK to it, because the DFO scientists have not mentioned anything that blackens the eye of DFO's sugar daddy (fish farm industry). Before anyone goes off on that comment - it is not directed at the DFO guys/gals on the ground, they are not the ones that make the policies and "restrict" the voice of the scientists when they make findings.

Glad to see you back Charlie. Looking forward to seeing something of substance soon.
Maybe substance, maybe not? :)

Concerning POST... Might want to look up the "revised" statement POST submitted to Cohen, as they actually did link the possibility of the 2009 Fraser River Sockeye Collapse to... ready for this... here it comes... "FISH FARMS"!

They also offered and provided a proposal to prove it once and for all. Any bets on that one? I can already see "Harper" going after POST under the new "Eco-terrorist" Act as POST is funded by those "eco-terrorist" Census of Marine Life and Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation. You guys really need to get rid of that guy - nothing more than a little Hitler there.

Both of those articles referred, are nothing more than Harper and DFO propaganda setting the stage to try and get the "open net fish farm" industry off the upcoming hook they are soon going to find themselves on.

IMHO... Beamish has lost ALL little credibility he had left. It's to the point, if Harper (DFO) needs a scientist to support them, they have the answer... pick up the phone and call - BEAMISH! The other article referred is:

Anomalous Ocean Conditions May Explain the Recent
Extreme Variability in Fraser River Sockeye Salmon
Production

Richard E. Thomson (a), Richard J. Beamish (b),Terry D. Beacham (b), Marc Trudel (b), Paul H. Whitfield (c) & Roy A. S. Hourston (a)

And again check the a, b, and c's:
(a) Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Institute of Ocean Sciences, 9860 West Saanich Road, Sidney, British Columbia, V8L 4B2, Canada
(b) Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Biological Station, 3190 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, British Columbia, V9T 6N7, Canada
(c) Environment Canada, Meteorological Service of Canada, 201-401 Burrard Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6C 3S5, Canada
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19425120.2012.675985

Note those "BC scientist". Yep, Beamish strikes again!

In this study, we show that the extreme, and unexpected, difference between the 2009 and 2010 sockeye salmon returns to the Fraser River was likely a consequence of several major factors, including environmental conditions in coastal British Columbia and the Gulf of Alaska, the freshwater production of smolts, and a life history strategy that requires that juveniles grow rapidly when they first enter the ocean. Our work extends the “critical size–critical period” hypothesis of Beamish and Mahnken (2001), which proposes that Pacific salmon brood year strength is determined in two stages during the first year in the ocean. According to this hypothesis, there is a large early-marine mortality that occurs shortly after juvenile salmon enter the ocean. This is followed by a physiologically based mortality during the first ocean winter that affects individuals that did not grow to a critical size and were unable to accumulate the necessary energy reserves during the previous summer and fall. The results presented here suggest that conditions in the second marine winter may also contribute to salmon survival in the Gulf of Alaska.

Yes, I agree one is correct in thinking this is... "BULL ****"!

Please note, "likely a consequence of several major factors" as the most prodomient factor seems to left out? That just happens to be Marine Harvest very quietly removed ALL their disease ridden Pacific Chinook salmon and they fallowed those Campbell River "open net fish pens" during the out migration. Which just also happened to be full of those "non-existant diseases" such as ISA, IHN, SLV, PLV, and now it is to the point - who really knows the extent and what other diseases they are spreading to the wild salmon!

Concerning Gulf of Alaska... If one was to do their homework the Fraser Sockeye feeding grounds are approximately 150 miles SE of Kodiak Island, and those "ocean winters" were just fine and full of "ZOOPLANKTON"! He might want to check on just what happens and how those "ocean winters" actually change before making and trying to get someone to believe that asinine statement? If the sockeye would have survived those "fish farms" and lived to get to their feeding grounds they would have been happy little swimmers.

BTW... Juvenile sockeye are visual eaters and have alternative feeding behaviors. They require light to see their "ZOOPLANKTON" prey. Using different depths on tests sets would be a very good idea, as sockeye actually move through the water column as they feed on the ZOOPLANKTON. As their ZOOPLANKTON is consumed and gone they simply MOVE. In the first article Beamish did a fine job in discussing the different diets; however, he never discussed the sockeye diet - not once. He used the word "Plankton" twice and neither was in conjunctiion with Sockeye. Maybe I should help him out?

While in salt water, young sockeye salmon near shore eat insects, small crustaceans or zooplanktons (e.g., copepods, amphipods, decapods, barnacle larvae, ostracods, and euphausiids), and such young fishes and larvae as sand lance, bigeye whiting, rockfishes, eulachon, starry flounder, herring, prickle backs, and hake (Hart 1973).

On the high seas, the growing fish consume ever larger prey, which includes such crustaceans as euphausiids, amphipods, and copepods and also includes squids and young fishes (ibid.).

Migrating juvenile sockeye will normally NOT feed on or eat herring, especially herring tested in September! I don't care what Beamish believes or thinks... once those Sockeye little buggers hit the ocean they start swimming and are migrating. By September they need to be (and are going to be) in those nice cold waters in Gulf of Alaska!

Gotta wonder why these scientists weren't muzzled by the Harper brass. The upcoming Cohen Report could be one reason and all three of theses papers point to things that DFO has no control over but My conspiracy theory is because there is a new application for a fish farm in Clayquot that DFO wants to approve. http://www.focs.ca/news/2012-07-10_fears_over_expansion.asp
They are still waiting for the Province to approve the tenure; http://www.arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=21805
Send a letter to Christy Clark telling her to say no; http://livingoceans.org/initiatives/salmon-farming/action

If it weren't for the efforts of the Yankee's north and south of us, we probably wouldnt have a fishery at all this year.

how is the cowichan river doing? remember the "best coho fishery of the world" that supporded thousands of fishers year after year? the stealhead hatchery's are now closed, and the runs are getting smaller and smaller year after year. its like people have given up on it.

guess its what happens when your fishery is run by people in Ottawa

i trolled salmon off campbell river in 1950s and early 60s finding herring in fish guts was scarce they mostly fed on needlefish. only the small herring of the year stay in gulf of georgia over summer except for some smaller stocks. herring from major spawns migrate to the west coast mostly off the grounds off tofino or ukecluet

Back