Marinas selling food for seal feeding

mbowers

Just dropped off a head at Oak Bay Marina and noticed the Marina is still selling chopped herring to feed the seals at the dock. A couple of people were feeding the seals from the docks right next to the signs that say DO NOT FEED the seals.

Wasn't this dangerous and unethical behaviour supposed to be illegal after that girl got dragged in on the Fraser?

wow, now watch what happens when they stop being fed, they can get quite aggressive when they are hungry. not good.

This would be good opportunity to exploit social media to get OBMG to stop selling the herring.

I thought they had stopped but must have misunderstood.

Similarly people need to be told not to feed the vermin fish offal lots of marinas have done it and OBMG needs to join the 21st century.

Screenshot_20180619-204755.png

That's DFO's regs.

I thought they had stopped but must have misunderstood.

Similarly people need to be told not to feed the vermin fish offal lots of marinas have done it and OBMG needs to join the 21st century.

I think they stopped calling it "seal food" and now call it "chopped herring".

Totally agree. It would be nice if the guides at OB will step it up even if the Marina doesn't. At least in CRD you can just drop the carcass in your green compost / kitchen scrap can and done. I try to freeze and dump next trip if it's not used for bait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180619-204755.png
    Screenshot_20180619-204755.png
    484 KB · Views: 15
That's DFO's regs.

My google-fu isn't coming up with an actual regulation or law that says you can't feed seals.

The closest I can find is S.7 of the Marine Mammal Regulations that says "No person shall disturb a marine mammal except when fishing for marine mammals under the authority of these Regulations."

But... is feeding them cut up bits of herring 'disturbing' them? I think this law is more about, they don't want people going up to a rookery of elephant seals or something and getting them all pissed off.

Wasn't the girl last year feeding the seals spot prawns at whatever the hell they cost per pound? I seem to remember reading something about it being a costly way to get attacked by a seal haha.

Maybe they are slipping a bit of poison into their "seal food".

My google-fu isn't coming up with an actual regulation or law that says you can't feed seals.

The closest I can find is S.7 of the Marine Mammal Regulations that says "No person shall disturb a marine mammal except when fishing for marine mammals under the authority of these Regulations."

But... is feeding them cut up bits of herring 'disturbing' them? I think this law is more about, they don't want people going up to a rookery of elephant seals or something and getting them all pissed off.
Hmm so why would DFO publish that if there is no teeth behind it?

Feeding seals is both disturbing their natural feeding response and increasing their population which leads to less salmon for whales.. Which is very disturbing for a whale. :)

What about BC law?

"
Taken from B.C. Laws, Clause 33.1 in the Wildlife Act states that:

(1) A person must not (a) intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife or, (b) provide, leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife.

(2) A person must not leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land or premises where there are or where there are likely to be people, in a manner in which the attractant could (a) attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises, and (b) be accessible to dangerous wildlife”.
"
Seals are clearly dangerous wildlife.

The Marina is just a couple of km from this seal attack.

https://www.cheknews.ca/harbour-seal-climbs-onto-kayak-attacks-paddler-near-chatham-island-357910/

If there was any teeth behind it, I'm sure they'd say 'it is unlawful to'

As for the BC provincial wildlife act, I don't seals meet the definition of 'wildlife.'

"wildlife"

(a)means raptors, threatened species, endangered species, game and other species of vertebrates prescribed by regulation, and

(b)for the purposes of sections 3 to 5, 7, 8, 84 (6.1) to (6.4), 97.1 to 98.1 and 108 (2) (v), includes fish,

but does not include controlled alien species;

It would be nice if there was just a black and white, 'dont feed seals' law that a fish cop could just write a ticket for. Here's your $150 fine, don't do that again.

More DFO info. Pretty obvious from this list that feeding seals from a wharf is considered disturbing to them.

Screenshot_20180619-220336.png

an old neighbour fed a deer for years,,, didnt even think about it when she sold the house and moved.. that deer almost starved if other neighbours didnt help it out.

stupid humans.

We have thrown our fish carcasses in the water for decades with no ill effects. Before coming up with more ******** legislation, why not focus on real problems?

Nail on the head.

People seem too quick to think that Gov can legislate our problems away. All gov ever seems to do is screw things up with unintended consequences.

Could be used for crab, prawn bait, chum for a chum bag etc. I doubt very much that the majority of it is fed to seals.

Back