lund ssv16

I currently have a SSV16 with a 30hp Merc. The 30 is fine solo but am finding I'm having 2-3 people on it more and more and the 30 is under powered for that load.

I'm going to repower it with a 40 but see that the Honda 50 is the same weight as the 40 (216lbs) so I'm thinking for an extra$500 I might as well go with the 50 and will have more then enough power........ I have a 5hp kicker so trolling speed is not an issue.

So any opinions thoughts things I should think about? Have already talked to the company that does my boat insurance and also talked to the coast guard and both have told me I'm fine going with a hp larger then the tag on the boat (40) thanks for your time!

I have seen your videos and progression on your boat build. Great stuff to watch and your boat is set up nicely and very well thought out.

IMHO, it is a great 1-2 man fishing rig, 3 in a pinch trolling around. I wouldn't try to keep tinkering a platform that has inherit limitations in terms of people and HP capacity. I would use it as is. Or consider upsizing altogether instead of chasing a bit better this and that.

It's such a nice rig, just run with it. But if your heart is set, insurance and Transport Canada give it the thumbs up (get it in writing) then giv'er!

Thanks for the reply. As you stated its great the way it is solo/2 person boat but with family wanting to go out more and more its a bit under-gunned on the big lakes. We only ever fish two rods so having 3-5 poeple (family) in it is not a big deal for space and getting a new boat is out of the picture as I love the size and what we have done to it so far.........

I just want to make sure that going with the Honda 50 is not going to make it a crazy death trap!

You don't have to go full throttle if it gets squirelly at WOT speeds. Have at it!

But if you have that power on hand if/when you need it. Perfect.

Last edited:
Back